29er Tyres for Epic

Dangerboy

I see Bike Addict shop has a special on Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and Maxxis Ikon skin wall exo 2.2

Could you please advise on these, as we all know that the conditions down here in the Cape is dry dry and powdery. 

will they put up with the long days..?? 

Thanks 

Doing my 4th one this year, did my first Epic with the Racing Ralph knobbly Nic combo which worked great. 2016 & 2017 was with the Barzo Saguaro combo which was fantastic. 

So because of the relentless terrain this year I would suggest either Maxxis or Vitoria, the only reason Im going with Vitoria is because they are lighter than the Maxxis.

I see Bike Addict shop has a special on Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and Maxxis Ikon skin wall exo 2.2

Could you please advise on these, as we all know that the conditions down here in the Cape is dry dry and powdery. 

will they put up with the long days..?? 

Thanks 

Yes they will, those Maxxis are very storng, but heavier than the Vittoria's, saw cyclesharp has the new cape cobra edition on special..

https://www.cyclesharp.co.za/product/barzo-cape-cobra-editionnew/

Thanks so much for this, would you go back and front with this Cape Cobra..? 

Much appreciated :-)

Barzo(cape Cobra) Front(2.25 or 2.35) and Saguaro Back(2.2)

Epic is going to be sharp, rocky, thorny, dry and powdery....so any tyre choice needs to reflect that AND your riding style!!

If you're technically good and constantly pick your line, then you can possibly get away with thinner and lighter tyres. If not, take the more sturdy one's. Last thing you want to do if you're trying to survive, is plug holes frequently....

Epic is going to be sharp, rocky, thorny, dry and powdery....so any tyre choice needs to reflect that AND your riding style!!

If you're technically good and constantly pick your line, then you can possibly get away with thinner and lighter tyres. If not, take the more sturdy one's. Last thing you want to do if you're trying to survive, is plug holes frequently....

agreed

I would be going with a Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.35 front and Ikon 2.2 rear. I've never done an Epic or anything of the sort, but have this combo on my marathon bike and it is brilliant. Rolls fast, great grip, and not too heavy.

Another tyre I also really like is the Onza Svelt. Minimal center knobs for fast rolling, and bigger side knobs for grip. I habe used their Ibex and Canis tyres and the 60tpi version provides great puncture resistance.

Agree that good tyre protection is vital for Epic. Also, consider the extent of the climbing that will be done, you don't want heavy wheels. Both my partner and I are riding Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear (snakeskin). Strong enough, light enough, grippy enough. 

Going with a Ardent Race 2.35 in front with a Ikon 2.35 at the rear. With 80% of epic on home ground (on our farm as well) these tires have survived the past 2 years without problems. Then again, touch wood.

Going with a Ardent Race 2.35 in front with a Ikon 2.35 at the rear. With 80% of epic on home ground (on our farm as well) these tires have survived the past 2 years without problems. Then again, touch wood.

I've run that exact combo before, awesome!! Ardent Race is a brilliant front tyre on an XC bike.

Edited by Grease_Monkey