Rugby...

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So doing the very unscientific thing of adding the individual performances from the semis we get

WP - 6

Lions - 8

(Bulls 1)

What is evident is that the WP backs will probably outshine the Lions, it is in the forwards were the advantage is with the men in red and white.

Team of the Week - Currie Cup, Round Ten:

15 - Cheslin Kolbe: (Western Province) 

The little maestro returned with a bang, nabbing two tries and looking ever dangerous as he kept the crowd well entertained.

Bubbling under: Ulrich Beyers (Blue Bulls)

14 -  Ruan Combrinck: (Golden Lions) 

Grabbed one of many tries for the Lions, but it was his work around the field that really impressed, looking to attack off his wing and getting stuck in with the heavies from time to time.

Bubbling under: Kobus van Wyk (Western Province)

13 - Juan de Jongh: (Western Province) 

A bit like Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau at the Waratahs, he seems to thrive alongside Kolbe with both of them sharing a similar playing style.

Bubbling under:  Lionel Mapoe (Golden Lions)

12 - Howard Mnisi: (Golden Lions) 

Has had very few chances this season, especially in wearing the No.12 jersey, but he certainly impressed in this extended outing.

Bubbling under: Andre Esterhuizen (Sharks)

11 - Seabelo Senatla (Western Province)

Looked red-hot before he left for Sevens duty, looked just as hot in the BlitzBokke Jersey, and now returns to Cape Town looking hotter than ever.

Bubbling Under: Courtnall Skosan (Golden Lions)

10 - Demetri Catrakilis: (Western Province) 

Has shown a lot of maturity and growth this season and has really cemented his spot in an attacking Province backline.

Bubbling under: Marnitz Boshoff (Golden Lions)

9 - Nic Groom: (Western Province) 

Another one who is cementing his spot in partnership with Catrakilis, looked a threat and ran the game well.

Bubbling under: Ross Cronje (Golden Lions)

8 - Warren Whiteley: (Golden Lions) 

The epitome of the Lions, Captain Fantastic was at his best again when leading his beloved team - adds an extra 10 percent to the cause whenever he is on the park.

Bubbling under: Nizaam Carr (Western Province)

7 - Derick Minnie: (Golden Lions) 

A true warrior of the game with a huge array of skills, but it is unsurprising to see an all Lions loose trio here with the perfect balance these three have.

Bubbling under: Jacques du Plessis (Blue Bulls)

6 - Jaco Kriel: (Golden Lions) 

The energizer bunny slows down for no one, the final leg of the Lions loose trio whose work ethic is something to behold.

Bubbling under: Deon Stegmann (Blue Bulls)

5 - Franco Mostert: (Golden Lions) 

Has taken his time but he is certainly developing into a player of some stature, leads the line-outs well and contributes in the loose.

Bubbling under: Marco Wentzel (Sharks)

4 - Paul Willemse: (Blue Bulls) 

The battering ram along side Jacque du Plessis, his considerable bulk really takes it out of the opposition's defense.

Bubbling under: Jean Kleyn (Western Province)

3 - Ruan Dreyer: (Golden Lions) 

How can Heyneke Meyer keep ignoring these two Lions props!?

Bubbling under: Pat Cilliers (Western Province)

2 -  Siyabonga Ntubeni: (Western Province) 

A lively ball carrier, an energetic defender and another player who puts in 110 percent every chance he gets.

Bubbling under: Kyle Cooper (Sharks)

1 - Schalk van der Merwe: (Golden Lions) 

Three words: Sharks. Scrum. Backwards.

Bubbling under:  Alistair Vermaak (Western Province)

Our individual selections: 

Michael de Vries XV: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Jacques du Plessis, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Paul Willemse, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Siyabonga Ntubeni, 1 Schalk van der Merwe.

Jan de Koning XV: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Marnitz Boshoff, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Paul Willemse, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Schalk van der Merwe.

Darryn Pollock XV: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Courtnall Skosan, Demetri Catrakilis, Nic Groom, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Marco Wentzel, 4 Paul Willemse, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Siyabonga Ntubeni, 1 Schalk van der Merwe.

so where's the trophy going to live next year?

http://www.newlandstours.co.za/images/landing_carosel/1.jpg

909b1f7c35.jpg

It will be at Ellis Park.

I agree a lot with the team above but there is no way that Catrakilis is playing better rugby than Boshoff.

The Lions pack has to and will dominate the province side which will eventually win it for the Lions.

Good forward ball will just hurt Province too much. 

It will be at Ellis Park.

I agree a lot with the team above but there is no way that Catrakilis is playing better rugby than Boshoff.

The Lions pack has to and will dominate the province side which will eventually win it for the Lions.

Good forward ball will just hurt Province too much. 

dunno, he was my man of the match at newlands. Took some really great options, created kolbe's second try with a smart grubber.

The province lineout and scrum got a bit bossed last week and while it SHOULD really be won and lost upfront, the WP back three has the potential to turn a sniff into seven points.

dunno, he was my man of the match at newlands. Took some really great options, created kolbe's second try with a smart grubber.

The province lineout and scrum got a bit bossed last week and while it SHOULD really be won and lost upfront, the WP back three has the potential to turn a sniff into seven points.

That is very true,

but if the Lions can hold off the opportunistic attacks i think that will be game set and match.

Patience in defense and solid forwards is a winning combo 9 times out of 10 and if you saw the lions Sharks game you would have seen at the start of the second half just how strong the Lions were in defense.

Should be a cracker regardless of who wins it. 

I am just as excited about this game, as I was for the Boks vs AB game a few weeks ago.

No.1 vs No.2 (on the log)

Flair vs Brute strength

Dangerous back trio (WP) vs dangerous loose trio (Lions)

In the old days, commentators used to say you could cover the loose trio with a blanket, that's how close they were to each other in tackling, retrieving the ball and all round play. The Lions loose trio could easily fit into this mold even though the game has moved on since then.

Happy that Craig Joubert is blowing the whistle, but let's hope he doesn't make any controversial decisions that "gives" the title to one of other team. Think RWC final 2011 (was biased towards the AB's) and Superugby penalty against Richie McCaw that shouldn't have been a penalty

Okay - just to break the excitement for a moment.

I see we have a new coaching team - that is the Sharks.

Brendon Venter and Gary Gold.

Wonder what this will bring.

Dr Venter is a smart tactician

It'll be interesting indeed

All good.

Some interesting selections, as well as some shockers!!

The Springbok squad for the Outgoing Tour 2014:

Forwards (20): Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Nizaam Carr, Marcell Coetzee, Robbie Coetzee, Eben Etzebeth, Lodewyk de Jager, Jaco Kriel, Victor Matfield, Teboho Mohoje, Tendai Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Julian Redelinghuys, Gurthro Steenkamp, Adriaan Strauss, Duane Vermeulen, Warren Whiteley

Backs (16): Damian de Allende, Johan Goosen, Bryan Habana, Cornal Hendricks, Francois Hougaard, Patrick Lambie, Lwazi Mvovo, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Handre Pollard, Cobus Reinach, Willie le Roux, Seabelo Senatla, Jan Serfontein, Morne Steyn, Jean de Villiers (captain)