Rugby...

'Dale

As a sharks supporter it's justified and it should have included a flattie from every member of the team

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately thuggery is promoted in SA rugby already at school level.  It will be years before we will be able to get rid of it from our rugby.  Just go to any high school game.  The dads are usually the main promoters of it.

I saw this report today http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/sa-coaches-not-cutting-it-super-rugby about the lack of "quality" coaching at Franchise level.

I'm not sure I agree with all his comments, but I do feel that the best possible coaches are not coaching the Boks and top provincial sides and it's definitely showing in most forms of the game.

The one statement he makes which I agree with 100% is "Decision-making under pressure, spacial awareness, tactical awareness and core skills are things that are refined through good coaching.".

It send shivers down my spine when fundamental errors are made by experienced players. It's like the opposition know exactly how to get under our players skin, and use it to counter one-dimensional plans.

BTW - I'm glad he thinks Johan Ackerman is okay - there is some positive here in the Lion's den.

I saw this report today http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/sa-coaches-not-cutting-it-super-rugby about the lack of "quality" coaching at Franchise level.

I'm not sure I agree with all his comments, but I do feel that the best possible coaches are not coaching the Boks and top provincial sides and it's definitely showing in most forms of the game.

The one statement he makes which I agree with 100% is "Decision-making under pressure, spacial awareness, tactical awareness and core skills are things that are refined through good coaching.".

It send shivers down my spine when fundamental errors are made by experienced players. It's like the opposition know exactly how to get under our players skin, and use it to counter one-dimensional plans.

BTW - I'm glad he thinks Johan Ackerman is okay - there is some positive here in the Lion's den.

Coaching just isn't good enough at the junior levels.

Why should a Super Rugby coach teach basic handling and kicking skills?

Surely a player at that level should have those under his belt already?

I see Deysel got 7 weeks. I missed all forms of sport this weekend. I see that SANZAR took last year's 3 week ban into account as well. Can anyone comment on the offence and whether 7 weeks is justified?

definitely justified, how frikken stupid can you be? BUT it's not like we see similar sanctions happening to kiwi and aussie thugs.

case in point: http://en.espn.co.uk/super-rugby-2015/rugby/story/260331.html

Liam Messam doesd boxing/mma and starts bringing his Kung-fu choke holds to rugby..that is clear intent to do harm, and he gets away with a slap on the wrist. He has a 'good disciplinary record' because he just never gets charged with stuff, and so the cycle perpetuates

Edited by Shebeen

Coaching just isn't good enough at the junior levels.

Why should a Super Rugby coach teach basic handling and kicking skills?

Surely a player at that level should have those under his belt already?

Our players have the skills, but they still make basic mistakes (on numerous occasions).

A good coach will (should) be able to spot it and work on it.

Spies: "I don’t want to make any excuses. We should have secured possession at the last restart, but the Lions used another ball which may have caused us to lose concentration."

No excuses - you can't blame other people for losing concentration.

Spies should have been telling his players to watch every possible move - if he thought the Lions were going to just plod back to halfway, he was wrong. It's small things like this that separate class from class.

oh one more thing...to be consistent, Matt Todd should probably also have got a yellow for holding onto the ball after whistle and therefore preventing the quick penalty.

See how quickly the ball popped out once deysel dug his knee in?Quite bizarre play from the 'saders in that ten minute period too, all yellows were justified and just dumb play when you're 30 points up.

deysel knee is at about 6 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=409&v=qF4eCM79KsA

and here's the stamping last year that ended up with three weeks at the gym for him (sharks went on to win this game amazingly)

See Spies is not a happy chappie, might have a point if he had the rule correct but now sounds like sour grapes

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Spies-Lions-used-wrong-ball-20150407

I don’t want to make any excuses. We should have secured possession at the last restart, but the Lions used another ball which may have caused us to lose concentration,” 

ag whatever boet, maybe try work on your own game rather....please tell me Heynekin is not planning on taking him to RWC this year

11138172_10153244695586079_8448657035581

I don’t want to make any excuses. We should have secured possession at the last restart, but the Lions used another ball which may have caused us to lose concentration,” 

ag whatever boet, maybe try work on your own game rather....please tell me Heynekin is not planning on taking him to RWC this year

11138172_10153244695586079_8448657035581

Jeez, that's almost a 20% missed tackle rate. Spies is a show-pony of note. All the physical attributes to be a brilliant no.8, but a bit soft in the head I reckon.

When are we going to start picking our own Hub world cup squad? 1 to 15 + bench + 23 alternatives.

When are we going to start picking our own Hub world cup squad? 1 to 15 + bench + 23 alternatives.

i would hazard that they've been picked since 2011...expect it to start firming up past june once we see who's playing *** lekker and who's playing lekker ***

I know 2 certainties seeing as HM is the coach - Victor Matfield and Fourie du Preez.

I know 2 certainties seeing as HM is the coach - Victor Matfield and Fourie du Preez.

and Spies

Ja. With Jacque Fourie at inside centre and either Ruan Pienaar or Ricky January as back-up for Du Preez!  :D

But seriously, some (too many!!) of the more experienced players are looking past their peak form and condition.