Rugby...

'Dale

actually have always been a Chiefs supporter, but been accused a few times of being a Cape Crusader, however haven't been to newlands since high school with seasons tickets... Thanks anway!

You can support whoever you want.

Just be loyal.

Aweh

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One can be a fan and a critic. 

Yip. Definitely. There's no other way to express interest and care in one's team when they are struggling.

See my updated post, scotty.

uhm yes and no!

and since this is cycling forum...

I remember growing and playing rugby I'd rather much preferred being on the field myself than sitting infront of the TV watching my team play

So now nearly 10 years of not being on the rugby field, i ride a bicycle, i love watching rugby but not to the expense of having more fun riding my bicycle and being outside myself...

As you would know, i'm not a bok supporter quite the converse actually, but watching them play, i'd much rather be out riding!

Just talking about those so-called fans that won't watch BECAUSE their team is struggling, Meezo.

I also like to ride my bike, you most know, especially on the weekends when one can be in the saddle for hours.

Edited by 'Dale

Don't care who you love.

But back them under the high ball.

And show them your fury when they play crap. 

But back them. 

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/08/31/1226126/425428-all-blacks-fans.jpg

I will always back the boks...however i still hope we get a proper walloping this weekend..because a proper walloping is what SA rugby needs right now. We always get one or two good ok results that mask the inefficiencies in our overall gameplan - then we lose to NZ, but it is usually close so it doesn't appear to be so bad because everyone loses to the AB's. A proper thrashing will hopefully make the powers that be step up and realise that we have a problem...and then hopefully we can start to move forward.

I will always back the boks...however i still hope we get a proper walloping this weekend..because a proper walloping is what SA rugby needs right now. We always get one or two good ok results that mask the inefficiencies in our overall gameplan - then we lose to NZ, but it is usually close so it doesn't appear to be so bad because everyone loses to the AB's. A proper thrashing will hopefully make the powers that be step up and realise that we have a problem...and then hopefully we can start to move forward.

It's the politicians. I heard that Coetzee wasn't even allowed to pick his own coaching team? If we want to compete we need a foreign coach, that is free of provinsial bias, and free of political influence.

It's the politicians. I heard that Coetzee wasn't even allowed to pick his own coaching team? If we want to compete we need a foreign coach, that is free of provinsial bias, and free of political influence.

Not gonna happen!

Back to the rugby, I'm very worried about that inside channel of Jantjies - at the same time the midfield does not inspire confidence.

I think we need to play pick-up and drive thru the middle - not that aerial game handing the AB possession - in that case we will defending the whole bloody day!!

Our conditioning is not where it needs to be - I cannot see us keeping up with the pace for 80 minutes - we might be fit but not "wedstryd fiks!"

Even if we are competitive and keep the score line down, that will not solve the underlying problem in our rugby.

Come now Bokke!! - I will cheer you on when I'm busy with my mid-morning ride!

Not gonna happen!

Back to the rugby, I'm very worried about that inside channel of Jantjies - at the same time the midfield does not inspire confidence.

I think we need to play pick-up and drive thru the middle - not that aerial game handing the AB possession - in that case we will defending the whole bloody day!!

Our conditioning is not where it needs to be - I cannot see us keeping up with the pace for 80 minutes - we might be fit but not "wedstryd fiks!"

Even if we are competitive and keep the score line down, that will not solve the underlying problem in our rugby.

Come now Bokke!! - I will cheer you on when I'm busy with my mid-morning ride!

suns out early in Cape Town, can be home in time for the game! :whistling:

suns out early in Cape Town, can be home in time for the game! :whistling:

Sunrise in Cape Town 40 minutes after sunrise in Joburg at this time of year. But anyway.

Watched the Boks - Aussie game on Monday night - saw this old auntie with a cane on the field before kick-off asking permission or something - did not get the whole speech.

Anyone knows what that was all about?

Watched the Boks - Aussie game on Monday night - saw this old auntie with a cane on the field before kick-off asking permission or something - did not get the whole speech.

Anyone knows what that was all about?

Hahaha. Yes. The highlight of the game. Ozzie sort of saying sorry for aboriginal genocide it seemed to be. Came across as just plain odd if you ask me. Sort of a slow motion Hakka with a stick is how I saw it.

Hahaha. Yes. The highlight of the game. Ozzie sort of saying sorry for aboriginal genocide it seemed to be. Came across as just plain odd if you ask me. Sort of a slow motion Hakka with a stick is how I saw it.

Oooooooooooooooooooook!!!!

Thanks

Edited by Bloukrans

We kinda have to hit rock bottom like what happened to the Lions union. 2013 when we got relegated forced the union to either fold completely or pull itself together. Luckily they did the latter. 

"the powers that be" - now there is the real problem. All politicians only interested in lining their pockets and putting a "representative" team on the field. They are not real rugby men unfortunately

We kinda have to hit rock bottom like what happened to the Lions union. 2013 when we got relegated forced the union to either fold completely or pull itself together. Luckily they did the latter. 

"the powers that be" - now there is the real problem. All politicians only interested in lining their pockets and putting a "representative" team on the field. They are not real rugby men unfortunately

as i mentioned earlier - hit them where it hurts...if we get hammered by the AB's who is really gonna want to go watch them in durban - at 400 bucks a shot nogal....someone important will have a finger in ticket sales across the stadiums. SA we forced out of international competition through the might of the people - time we all told the knobs at the top what we want

On last night's edition of the Breakdown, two of the guests were current/former Super Rugby coaches or a support coach.

The AB coach speaks to them to advise on the style of rugby he wants the AB's to play, and the franchises need to align to that request. The pinnacle of rugby in NZ is the AB's and everything starts at the top and works down. I first heard about this from Zinzan Brooke, on a documentary a number of years ago, so it's not a new concept to me.

Both John Kirwan (former Blues coach 2013-15) and Dave Hewitt (Crusaders forward's coach up to this season) both said they had challenges to respect the wishes of Steve Hansen, like when to rest key players - even it means they could risk losing a game as a result.

Common consensus among the panel (which changes weekly) is that the Bokke don't know what game to play - I think we see that in the indecision between players. They want to play an expansive game like the AB's, but still be aggressive up front. These comments come from former players that have played against the Springboks and said "playing the Springboks is one of the hardest (physically) battles compared to any other team. Why try play the style of rugby the AB's are famous for - they should be playing to their strengths. Big, hard tackles; kick and chase; drive the opposition back and force them to make mistakes."

They spoke to Joel Stransky and asked what he thinks of the new team, and then questioned the point made by Joel - the game has evolved and that the Bokke need to adapt. Yes, it has changed but the AB's fear the physically intimidating forwards and fast-n-strong backs that the Bokke are famous for. Yes, there can be some form of expansive rugby but it doesn't help if the provinces/franchises don't play the same game.

They say the Lions have the AB influence thanks to John Mitchell and Carlos Spencer, which Ackerman has obviously taken a step or two further. Meanwhile the other provinces are not at the same level, or playing a different style. It means Jantjies and Faf are playing a game completely different to their style at the Lions, and the AB's consider the half-backs as the two calling all the shots on the field. 

Long story shortened, AC needs to get the franchises/unions to buy into playing a similar type of Springbok rugby and forget their own cause and dedicate all to the Springboks.

This is a summary from last night, and purely the view of Springbok rugby from a NZ point of view.