Rugby...

'Dale

On last night's edition of the Breakdown, two of the guests were current/former Super Rugby coaches or a support coach.

The AB coach speaks to them to advise on the style of rugby he wants the AB's to play, and the franchises need to align to that request. The pinnacle of rugby in NZ is the AB's and everything starts at the top and works down. I first heard about this from Zinzan Brooke, on a documentary a number of years ago, so it's not a new concept to me.

Both John Kirwan (former Blues coach 2013-15) and Dave Hewitt (Crusaders forward's coach up to this season) both said they had challenges to respect the wishes of Steve Hansen, like when to rest key players - even it means they could risk losing a game as a result.

Common consensus among the panel (which changes weekly) is that the Bokke don't know what game to play - I think we see that in the indecision between players. They want to play an expansive game like the AB's, but still be aggressive up front. These comments come from former players that have played against the Springboks and said "playing the Springboks is one of the hardest (physically) battles compared to any other team. Why try play the style of rugby the AB's are famous for - they should be playing to their strengths. Big, hard tackles; kick and chase; drive the opposition back and force them to make mistakes."

They spoke to Joel Stransky and asked what he thinks of the new team, and then questioned the point made by Joel - the game has evolved and that the Bokke need to adapt. Yes, it has changed but the AB's fear the physically intimidating forwards and fast-n-strong backs that the Bokke are famous for. Yes, there can be some form of expansive rugby but it doesn't help if the provinces/franchises don't play the same game.

They say the Lions have the AB influence thanks to John Mitchell and Carlos Spencer, which Ackerman has obviously taken a step or two further. Meanwhile the other provinces are not at the same level, or playing a different style. It means Jantjies and Faf are playing a game completely different to their style at the Lions, and the AB's consider the half-backs as the two calling all the shots on the field. 

Long story shortened, AC needs to get the franchises/unions to buy into playing a similar type of Springbok rugby and forget their own cause and dedicate all to the Springboks.

This is a summary from last night, and purely the view of Springbok rugby from a NZ point of view.

That has me worried. I don't want the fate of all SA franchises in the hands of AC! What if he decides the gameplan all of SA should follow is the one he employed at the Stormers - defend defend defend, kick penalty, win game (sometimes). I actually like it that we have such different franchises playing different styles of rugby. To me it should be seen as a strength, not a weakness. 

Also, the days of us being bigger and stronger than everyone else is over. So the original bok strength is no more. Just look at the junior England team that absolutely murdered our junior bokkies, those okes were much bigger than our laaities. Watch any super rugby game or even tests, our forwards are often lighter than the opposition. So, domkrag can't work anymore!

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They spoke to Joel Stransky and asked what he thinks of the new team, and then questioned the point made by Joel - the game has evolved and that the Bokke need to adapt. Yes, it has changed but the AB's fear the physically intimidating forwards and fast-n-strong backs that the Bokke are famous for. Yes, there can be some form of expansive rugby but it doesn't help if the provinces/franchises don't play the same game.

They say the Lions have the AB influence thanks to John Mitchell and Carlos Spencer, which Ackerman has obviously taken a step or two further. Meanwhile the other provinces are not at the same level, or playing a different style. It means Jantjies and Faf are playing a game completely different to their style at the Lions, and the AB's consider the half-backs as the two calling all the shots on the field. 

Long story shortened, AC needs to get the franchises/unions to buy into playing a similar type of Springbok rugby and forget their own cause and dedicate all to the Springboks.

This is a summary from last night, and purely the view of Springbok rugby from a NZ point of view.

or...AC needs to decide what type of rugby they ARE playing and put the correct people into the correct positions. 

or...AC needs to decide what type of rugby they ARE playing and put the correct people into the correct positions. 

hence why i maintain AC was a step backwards after HM.

HM knew what he was doing and very strict on his plan albeit a k*k plan.

hence why i maintain AC was a step backwards after HM.

HM knew what he was doing and very strict on his plan albeit a k*k plan.

Apparantly, HM was well respected in the coaching circle (outside of SA)

Something wrong in the Lions camp, even with some players on springbok duty losing 50% of the games so far is just not acceptable and shows lack of depth. 

Something wrong in the Lions camp, even with some players on springbok duty losing 50% of the games so far is just not acceptable and shows lack of depth. 

I think its a lack of leadership , having both Cronje and Mnisi as captains just doesn't work.

Heard AC on 947 sports news this morning . He says they can gauge how they have progressed when they play the AB's  :eek: . Progressed !! really , its more like they have regressed.

May there be many cool moments tomorrow:

IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED

Backline play - less predictable and running onto the ball

Intimidation - not be overwhelmed and not letting the Kiwis impose their game plan, entirely

Penalties - looking for 90 percent conversion rate

Ball protection - please protect the ball at the ruck situations, run towards support players

Strategy - less kick an' pray, more penetrating backline, more dominant tight phases

GO BOKKIES

http://images.supersport.co.za/Bokkiepic5.jpg

I think its a lack of leadership , having both Cronje and Mnisi as captains just doesn't work.

Then Ackerman needs to address this. They are 1 loss short in the CC of equaling the 4 losses in Superrugby and that included NZ teams in 15 games. 

Edited by scotty