All things Colnago

StevieL

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the knowledgeable, Alu or steel frame?

Never owned one, have a Litespeed Titanium, have a carbon race bike, considering getting a steel Colnago, but have seen quite a few Alu frames.

So curious to see benefits of owning an Alu frame rather than a steel..... if any!!

Preference is the older steel frame, either Super, Mexico or Master :)

Interesting one that.

I have both a carbon and a titanium Colnago, a carbon/ti/alu Litespeed and a steel Merckx and I cannot say that one is greater than the others. I think a good design, good geometry and well made frame will be great, almost despite what it is made of. Each are different and have different things I love about them.

But if I can only have one to ride for fun, especially on long rides, then it will be the steel Merckx, so perhaps I would go for the steel Colnago if I were you. The titanium Colnago is a close second, but I think only because it runs on very stiff Shamal 21 mm tubbie wheels and is harsh on rough roads, where the Merckx run on fat 28 mm rubber and gives a much softer ride.

If I must pick one bike to race, then it will be the carbon Colnago. It is just lighter and faster than the others, but again quite racy and not the kind of thing I look forward to do a 6 hour ride on.

As for an aluminium bike, the good ones, and the Colnagos are included here, are light and stiff and I think very much under valued. If you want  a great Colnago on a budget, then go for alu. Especially if it has a really iconic paint scheme like a Mapei or a Geo. Even an Art Decor!

Edited by DJR

My two cents:

• Master xLight - very racy and great on the hills, very responsive and lively:
  • Master 30 year anniv- bit more relaxed but you feel the bit of extra weight (both bikes built with 11spd SR and Hyperon tubby's)
  • Super '88 with SR/50yr anniv parts - great allrounder and fun to ride. More flex than Master's. A lot more stable due to longer wheel base and curved fork
  • Dream Lux - great all day ride, stable and it was a pleasure riding (initially Record 9 speed  but upgraded to Record 10 speed), regret selling the bike

Interesting one that.

I have both a carbon and a titanium Colnago, a carbon/ti/alu Litespeed and a steel Merckx and I cannot say that one is greater than the others. I think a good design, good geometry and well made frame will be great, almost despite what it is made of. Each are different and have different things I love about them.

But if I can only have one to ride for fun, especially on long rides, then it will be the steel Merckx, so perhaps I would go for the steel Colnago if I were you. The titanium Colnago is a close second, but I think only because it runs on very stiff Shamal 21 mm tubbie wheels and is harsh on rough roads, where the Merckx run on fat 28 mm rubber and gives a much softer ride.

If I must pick one bike to race, then it will be the carbon Colnago. It is just lighter and faster than the others, but again quite racy and not the kind of thing I look forward to do a 6 hour ride on.

As for an aluminium bike, the good ones, and the Colnagos are included here, are light and stiff and I think very much under valued. If you want  a great Colnago on a budget, then go for alu. Especially if it has a really iconic paint scheme like a Mapei or a Geo. Even an Art Decor!

Ya a dilemma but a good one  :D

My go to bike at the moment for all day riding, club/training rides and even racing these days is the titanium lightspeed, the carbon race bike is on the trainer lol

Am currently building a Cannondale CAAD5 aluminium bike.  Hence my leaning towards a steel Colnago.  Have also seen a Coppi but undecided as would like a Colnago in the stable!!

Further pondering to be done  :whistling:

I can't comment on carbon as the only carbon bikes I have are an Alan carbon (sold) and Vitus carbonio. Did ride my wife's C40 when she wasn't looking but not set up to my size.

Ya a dilemma but a good one  :D

My go to bike at the moment for all day riding, club/training rides and even racing these days is the titanium lightspeed, the carbon race bike is on the trainer lol

Am currently building a Cannondale CAAD5 aluminium bike.  Hence my leaning towards a steel Colnago.  Have also seen a Coppi but undecided as would like need a Colnago in the stable!!

Further pondering to be done  :whistling:

sorted, hope this helps

Opinions don't matter, buy a carbon, titanium, and steel Colnago. Fall in love with all of them and then keep them all - sell your other bikes.

attachicon.giftrilogy.jpg

Nothing wrong with that collection

^ I like the blue Master, and is that a BiTitan in the background?

The carbon frames in front were not their best of the era imo, I prefer the c50..

Edited by Christie

My CT1 fork needs a touch up, what are your thoughts on this. I like it.

attachicon.gifIMG_4430.JPG

Fork should be the same color as rear chain and seat stays - Black Carbon with Yellow decals