All things Colnago

StevieL

Hey guys.

Sooooooooo.

I have been offered a Colnago (possibly the ct1), but want some input. It is the titatium carbon model, about 10 yrs old, full campy record carbon. It is a reddish black in colour.

What sort of price should I be paying ?

And then if I do decide to pay - how does the sizing work. The guy reckons its is a 53. Given I am on a spez roubaix sized medium, how much will I need to change things to fit ?

Which brings to the second bike, which is a blue steel Colnago, he said the steel was the not collectable - but the the allez (allyz) steel (not sure of spelling or even if it is correct).

Can you guys help out ?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys.

Sooooooooo.

I have been offered a Colnago (possibly the ct1), but want some input. It is the titatium carbon model, about 10 yrs old, full campy record carbon. It is a reddish black in colour.

And then if I do decide to pay - how does the sizing work. The guy reckons its is a 53. Given I am on a spez roubaix sized medium, how much will I need to change things to fit ?

Which brings to the second bike, which is a blue steel Colnago, he said the steel was the not collectable - but the the allez (allyz) steel (not sure of spelling or even if it is correct).

Can you guys help out ?

Pics of the bikes would be nice to give some constructive comments.

CT1's are very collectible, we have 2 in our collection

CT1 LUX Titanio B - Stay

CT1 - first ones that came onto the market

So we have a few rules before we add to the collection

Paint must be in original condition - No resprays - maybe a few touch ups is okay

Groupset must be Campy and date specific to the bike - Anything else and we only value the frame.

Size must be our size because we ride them.

Other components need to be date specific as well.

Bike must be well looked after

On CT1's you need to check the bonding between the carbon stays and the Tit frame for cracks or indication that its coming loose - It can be repaired but is expensive and needs to be considered in the purchase price.

We wouldn't sell for below 25K if we were to decide to sell.

So if its in perfect condition 20 - 25K

We also have a few steel frames but nothing really collectible - In my opinion real collectible steel COLNAGOS would really only be in the MASTER range or Arabesque.

Be carefull out there - many people have old COLNAGO's hanging in their garages and think they worth 1000's because its a COLNAGO - you need to research them individually to find their true value.

Ok, so some more for you guys.

How much do you know about the Altain steel models from the early 90's?

Are the "nice" bikes to ride. How does the sizing work ?

And of course the bike may or may not be compared with 2012 Roubaiz sl2

Ok, so some more for you guys.

How much do you know about the Altain steel models from the early 90's?

Are the "nice" bikes to ride. How does the sizing work ?

And of course the bike may or may not be compared with 2012 Roubaiz sl2

Not much info available on the ALTAIN think they were from the mid 90's made for European market so you won't find many here in SA. Oversized Altain tubing would make it a stiff frame. Traditional COLNAGO geometry.

Also doesn't seem to have a pedigree of champions or wins like the C40 all of which contribute to its collectability, so not a frame i would consider for my collection.

If its just a steel COLNAGO you want to own, it would depend on price, is it all original (Head tube lugs, rear chainstay and Precisa fork should all be chrome), what color scheme is it, condition ?

Still has the original veloce on it. Total blue colour scheme, with the precisa fork.

Does have a touch up of paint from a lock when on a bike rack - but that is about it.

I had an Altain, it was a lekker bike. It was intended to be a budget model - bought that frame in 2004 new for R2700 from AVH's shop.

Edited by Christie

Hey guys.

Sooooooooo.

Can you guys help out ?

Much too small for you

Much too small for you

Going to ask if I can ride it for a day or two. Then will confirm - but sadly I suspect you are correct.

Going to ask if I can ride it for a day or two. Then will confirm - but sadly I suspect you are correct.

As an example I ride a 63 traditional and a 58 sloping compact

When buying these bikes size is important - No point in having a COLNAGO hanging on your wall to look at - they need to be ridden

I'm with you on the "use them" approach, but I do know people who really are more interested in the "collecting" aspect of it. I can understand it, but I find the beauty not just in the quality, the looks and the authenticity, but also in the function, and for that it must be ridden.

I'm with you on the "use them" approach, but I do know people who really are more interested in the "collecting" aspect of it. I can understand it, but I find the beauty not just in the quality, the looks and the authenticity, but also in the function, and for that it must be ridden.

Could not agree more...cameras,knives and guns fall into the same category

and cars for that matter

Edited by Kranswurm