26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

I for one never ridden a 29'er, never had the urge so ignorance is bliss ... until the Scalpel 29'er came out that is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one never ridden a 29'er, never had the urge so ignorance is bliss ... until the Scalpel 29'er came out that is.

ROFL.

Kosmo, I still can't bring myself to trust a rear triangle assembly, that, in order to provide travel & suspension for the rear wheel, is designed to flex sufficiently in order to provide said travel.

Gimme a pivot anyday... the Scalpel just "feels" - wrong...

Not to say that it's an unattractive bike. But heck, I dunno. Perhaps because I'm just a podgy b4stard...

Relax dood the Scalpel 29'er has a pivot by the BB (to my disappointment) although the seat stays are built to flex / pivot with the radial motion of the swing arm, I think they call it the 'one pivot system'.

As for the feel of the classic Scalpel, I have never felt any instability during speed bumpy descents or otherwise, and my 2005 vintage still holding out which has AL frame and bonded flexy Carbon chain stays. But agreed its unconventional, like the Lefty, which is why I like it.

yeah, the LEFTY is cool. Really good idea for certain applications, and looks mean.

But still... I'd rather have the jekyll to be honest. Or, even better - the Yeti SB66. Ooooooooooooooh!

yeah, the LEFTY is cool. Really good idea for certain applications, and looks mean.

But still... I'd rather have the jekyll to be honest. Or, even better - the Yeti SB66. Ooooooooooooooh!

I havent read any of the crap on the previous 30 pages but I will join the conversation in agreement! :lol:

The Jekyll is an awesome machine man! Ive tested it and boy oh boy .... give me it any day! Ok its not the lightest of bikes but who cares because you can go out your front gate and cycle over cars, buses, houses, hell whatever is in your way to get to the nearest mountain. Then you dont even need to find singletrack because with that beast between your legs you create your own singletrack down any mountain! 150mm travel .... yup I love that bike! :thumbup:

Jekyll is an earth-shaker for sure, Cannondale innovation yet again with that dual shock goodie. I have a Prophet AM machine as well with a measly 140mm travel, love that bike! and not about to give up my classic 26er 'dales any time soon for the big wheels. btw, Scalpel is a lightweight limited travel 'XC' not intended for jumps or big moves. And the Lefty fork, well I reckon it can handle anything that comes its way. Provided you give it the TLC it needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Both have rok shok and basically only difference is the frame? Can't decide which I prefer though.

Scott IMO does look better - Giant ain't bad though but I think has better name and Resale?

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/11256/61172/221701

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-za/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.1/10745/53400/

That is incorrect the Giant has got top end suspension with a Fox fork and Fox RP2 rear shock. The Scott has got a Rockshock Recon and DT Swiss M210 and is much lower end shocks. The Giant Maestro suspension is great and IMO better than the Scott, especially combined with the Fox shocks. These two bikes is not in the same price category the Giant is much more expensive and better equipped. It should be compared to the Scott Elite, but the Giant X1 2012 still wins, it`s a great bike.

Have you maybe mixed up the bike models? The Anthem X2 should be compared to the Scott Team and X1 with the Scott Elite.

Edited by Berg Bok

I'd go for the Scoot! Very new brand on the market, but I hear they are going places....

+1 I love the new Scoot, will certainly be my first choice for a 29er.

That is incorrect the Giant has got top end suspension with a Fox fork and Fox RP2 rear shock. The Scott has got a Rockshock Recon and DT Swiss M210 and is much lower end shocks. The Giant Maestro suspension is great and IMO better than the Scott, especially combined with the Fox shocks. These two bikes is not in the same price category the Giant is much more expensive and better equipped. It should be compared to the Scott Elite, but the Giant X1 2012 still wins, it`s a great bike.

Have you maybe mixed up the bike models? The Anthem X2 should be compared to the Scott Team and X1 with the Scott Elite.

Thanks for the correction - quite right, X2

And the price difference is R2000 in favour of the Scott

Poll updated with X2

Edited by W1Z@RD

My biased opinion would be for the scott. But, according to a few articles i scanned over the last few months the general consensus is that the Giant 29er has the best geometry in the bussines

I am of the opinion that the Giant has a more neutral ride and the scott is a bit less forgiving - more of a race bike... but that is 26"...

Actually I have no idea about 29ers..

Please ignore the above comments

laugh.gif