Sabie 75km Marathon

jake the snake

For me it was also the hardest cycle race I've ever done, I was broken at the end, but I'm sure I'll be back next year!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never done the 'classic marathon' but a number of SabieX's and one Forest to Falls I had no idea what previous events were like, having said that it was clear it would be no 'walk in the park'!

It was tough but hey I just enjoyed being out in such a great environment, meeting/chatting to mates MarcFr, IdeJongh, Jarek, Martin, Gremlin and MtbBarbie (the highlight of anyones day for sure ;) )

Just thankful being fit/healthy to do something like this and the feeling of achievement after, I even took the time to look around at and appreciate the scenery (yes I did walk at times)

Organisation was excellent as was the route marking/marshalls and water points!

Fortunately due to another 'little' event last year it takes a lot more than that for me to lose my sense of humour :)

It was tough but hey I just enjoyed being out in such a great environment, meeting/chatting to mates MarcFr, IdeJongh, Jarek, Martin, Gremlin and MtbBarbie (the highlight of anyones day for sure ;) )

Just thankful being fit/healthy to do something like this and the feeling of achievement after, I even took the time to look around at and appreciate the scenery (yes I did walk at times)

Organisation was excellent as was the route marking/marshalls and water points!

Aaah, always good to catch up BB! Agreed, the scenery was amazing.. Managed a few snaps on route...

post-15722-0-03535900-1330332317.jpg The dreaded Mamba switchbacks in the distance!post-15722-0-83018900-1330332517.jpg Heading up Mamba!

Just a reminder that after the flooding in the Sabie area on 17 & 18th January there were single tracks, bridges and forestry roads that were part of the original routes that could no longer be used and so alternate routes had to be found. These are the worst floods this area has seen in years, not even the 2000 floods did as much damage. Well done to Dennis and his team for getting all the routes up and sorted again in 5 weeks .

I think you and I rode together up Mamba talking about the mushroom clouds speeding passed. Must say that didnt make me feel any better when I called it a day after the 75. Was broken and too thankful to see that Spur shoppy to head back out.

Well done for pushing on.

Rode the 45 with Barbie and the gang yest for funsies, needed to put the joy back into it after that brutal day. Had a fun day on the bike!

Yup...... how ironic to be talking of others blowing when I ended up exploding like a damp string of tom thumbs........ I think I started to get into trouble when I tried to stay behind that Ester Errderelyrrlly chick when she came passed... The view was worth it though.

Edited by manbearpig

Aaah, always good to catch up BB! Agreed, the scenery was amazing.. Managed a few snaps on route...

post-15722-0-03535900-1330332317.jpg The dreaded Mamba switchbacks in the distance!post-15722-0-83018900-1330332517.jpg Heading up Mamba!

Ahhh...I can feel the pain again!

I need one of those on the bike cams to show all my non-cycling friends..if you dont ride you cannot understand!

Edited by jake the snake

to show all my non-cycling friends..if you dont ride you cannot understand!

That is so true. They just don't understand why I am walking so funny today :)

Edited by Grondpad

Thanks Mtbbarbie, the two guys infront of you are myself and my buddy. We ride in the Nedbank Dreamriders kit :-)

Thanks Mtbbarbie, the two guys infront of you are myself and my buddy. We ride in the Nedbank Dreamriders kit :-)

That's cool... small world! Luckily I didn't catch you walking :blush: Hope you had a good one!

Was a super race, broke me in half though.. Took the first half "easy" expecting for the second half to be downhill.... Didn't happen, cramped with about 15 to go and had to limp home... Managed a sub 5 hrs... But I think we need more hills to train on in Pretoria...

What an error of judgement to enter this as my first marathon.

My friend and I started off together but he fell in the singletrack just before the first water point and hit a tree after the guy in front of him went down. He decided to soldier on but withdrew at the next waterpoint at King of the mountains. This took us a total of 4 hours! Iwas now seriously at the back of the field and thought the worst was over so I gave it all I had. Beeeg mistake! The climbs never ended and the muddy , unrideable bits after stream crossings added extra pain and suffering. A group of about 7-8 of us formed and we played leapfrog up and down the climbs over the next 50 km.

I had a chain break and had to repair it in the one forest area. Difficult to see what you are doing through prescription dark glasses! With the added fatigue and muddy hands it took me almost 30min.

An eventful day with over 8h40 on the course and 7h09 of riding time! The end was the most welcome sight imaginable.

I learnt a lot about riding that I didnt know existed in the sport. I loved it and will be back next year in better condition.

Camping at Merry Pebbles was lovely.

An event to be recommended but with disclaimers! :)

Edited by Doggone

How refreshing. A thread in which the toughness of the course is agreed upon, yet no moans about the organisers making it too tough. Nice one.

Well done to all who finished the 75km!. Group of friends ( 4 which completed the ½ Iron man) agreed that this race were tough to say the least. Definitely a true MTBiker by just finishing.

The route itself were awesome, however way too tough for the average MTB Joe. Too many casualties along the route (broken wrist, broken bikes, dehydration, cramps).

MTB races should be tough, but surely not break the camel’s back. First time ever started to re-evaluate why I do this sport.. :oops: .

Did the 45km the next day and could feel the strain when starting the climbs.

Overall;

Experience 10/10 :thumbup:

Route difficulty 15/10 :eek:

Pain meter 20/10 :wacko:

Finishing Sabie 100/10 :clap:

How refreshing. A thread in which the toughness of the course is agreed upon, yet no moans about the organisers making it too tough. Nice one.

I think its because no matter how long it takes riding in Sabie is awesome. Everyone who finished is also stoked they finished such a tough one. Feels like you achieved something.

Listening to the comments on the day you wouldn't believe this. The guys around me at the 58 km mark would have lynched the organisers ( if they could muster the strength ). The same guys just about kissed the people at the last waterpoint and absolved them of all blame only to take up the tirade 2 kms later. It was entertaining and it helped get the kays done, but in the end they were only too relieved to be finished although one chap refused his to take his medal in protest at the thoughness of the course. I think he may be regretting this today!

Has anybody done a 75km Sabie Classic before where they never just climbed for the first 30km? Is it the 2100m of climbing, or the fact that they never bother to change the way the race goes up for 30km and up and down for the remaining 45km that is irritating some people?