Tokai Access

(Deon)

Why are people, riding really expensive bikes, sneaking into Tokai?

Swaanswyk has always been one of the unofficial entry points, but it has become really popular... SANParks have counted up to 30 cars in a day..

Is the R5 increase in day entry too much? Or is 1 years access for R385 too much?

Odd when you think a day pass costs less than a tube.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people, riding really expensive bikes, sneaking into Tokai?

Swaanswyk has always been one of the unofficial entry points, but it has become really popular... SANParks have counted up to 30 cars in a day..

Is the R5 increase in day entry too much? Or is 1 years access for R385 too much?

Odd when you think a day pass costs less than a tube.

I had a cross country running event there last year.

in the 30mins before and the 30mins after my race I saw 7 people ride through...

And I bet they'll still complain about bad/unmaintained trails...

I had a cross country running event there last year.

in the 30mins before and the 30mins after my race I saw 7 people ride through...

And I bet they'll still complain about bad/unmaintained trails...

:thumbdown: :cursing:

Sanparks should stop counting the fcukers and simply get the police to arrest them for trespassing and only let them out once they have bought a Wildcard and worked 12 hours on trail maintenance.

Sanparks should stop counting the fcukers and simply get the police to arrest them for trespassing and only let them out once they have bought a Wildcard and worked 12 hours on trail maintenance.

or, we could all stand by the side of the trail with our spades that r used to build the trails, and swing away at their front wheels when they come past. Doubt they'd try it on with you, me, Jimmy, Cap & PorS standing there.... A collective 500kg of spadewielding fanatics.

Edit - And Mr Snappy Pants himself...Oh-Mega Man

Edited by cptmayhem

Guest Omega Man

Hahaha. I am 100% in agreement with you. Alas i think slave labor is illegal.

Guest Omega Man

There are people who refuse to pay to ride Tokai BECAUSE of the state of the trails.

Guest Omega Man

Edit - And Mr Snappy Pants himself...Oh-Mega Man

I don't do violence. Hehe.

There are people who refuse to pay to ride Tokai BECAUSE of the state of the trails.

Ja, dude, but then they shouldn't ride at all. They still wanna ride there, but they refuse to pay because the trails are bad? Hmm. It's like eating out at a restaurant, complaining about the food but finishing it anyway and still refusing to pay. It's just not cricket.

EDIT: What sort of mentality is that? Refusing to pay for access to a place, but still willingly going there to ride, and, not only that, but willingly circumventing the control methods that SANPARKS / TMNP use...

Edited by cptmayhem

I do pay... but it irks me greatly that they take the money, put none to trailbuilding or maintenance and hikers go in for free...

Yeah. But for the moment, it's guys like Jimmy, Omega Man, PorS and so on that willingly volunteer to get the trails back into shape for the rest of them. I don't care that I don't get paid to maintain the trails. I just do it. Because I want to ride. And I care about the resource that we have there at Tokai.

Yes - buttercups and fairytails. So shoot me...

EDIT: not directed at you, ichnusa. Just ranting 'cos of the air of entitlement that seems to be infiltrating the masses, whilst they do fkall to contribute.

Edited by cptmayhem

Yeah. But for the moment, it's guys like Jimmy, Omega Man, PorS and so on that willingly volunteer to get the trails back into shape for the rest of them. I don't care that I don't get paid to maintain the trails. I just do it. Because I want to ride. And I care about the resource that we have there at Tokai.

Yes - buttercups and fairytails. So shoot me...

EDIT: not directed at you, ichnusa. Just ranting 'cos of the air of entitlement that seems to be infiltrating the masses, whilst they do fkall to contribute.

My point exactly... I don't mean for you to get paid, but maybe the odd tank of water would be nice. Or allowing expansion of the trails - it must be one of the most awesome locations around. I appreciate all trail work and do some myself - even if it is sometimes only clearing a branch on a ride. Maybe, one day, authorities will fight for the majority user (cyclists) and not be the voice of minority hikers. Imagine a trail from Tokai, into Sivermine and Hout Bay, across to Camps bay and over Kloof Nek, above Newlands and Kirstenbosch and back to Tokai... it would be world famous and the most amazing ride...

My point exactly... I don't mean for you to get paid, but maybe the odd tank of water would be nice. Or allowing expansion of the trails - it must be one of the most awesome locations around. I appreciate all trail work and do some myself - even if it is sometimes only clearing a branch on a ride. Maybe, one day, authorities will fight for the majority user (cyclists) and not be the voice of minority hikers. Imagine a trail from Tokai, into Sivermine and Hout Bay, across to Camps bay and over Kloof Nek, above Newlands and Kirstenbosch and back to Tokai... it would be world famous and the most amazing ride...

Water is coming - thanks to a recent sponsorship. Last time round, we had the use of a (sponsored) bobcat. That helped tremendously. We also had a 3T truck to help with ferrying clay up the hill (also sponsored)

Moral of the story is that stuff is getting done, albeit slowly. With all the bureaucracy in place at the moment, we are looking at maintenance and revitalization instead of blazing new trails. And any / all approval comes slowly.

With winter coming along soon, it heralds a new time for trail building and maintenance. This is because the best time to build is, in fact, when it is going to rain that night, or when it has just rained. I just hope we continue getting the turnout that we got last time round...

and that's where mass participation at trail rebuild days will assist in showing that what riders want, they are willing to ensure happens. I'm sorry, but the odd clearing of a branch will not suffice in making our voices heard above the status quo that payment is merely for access to a piece of land.

but i do understand: it's just ridiculous that good money is not really going to that which we desire most. The mandates at SANParks need a little guidance here. Eco-tourism is booming. I'm surprised it's falling on deaf ears.