Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Well, I didn't go onto any kind of diet intentionally. But lost 3kg since september. Why, got a kanteen at work, so I lunch what I usually have for dinner, so bascially I cut out all breads, pasta's, wheat crackers, rye etc. And I still eat a lot. Breakfast= yoghurt+ banana+ fruit juice, snack....(another breakfast) scrambled eggs/ 2 poached in the microwave oven. or 2 a week especaiilly when riding in I'll breakfast at the office (scambled eggs, sausages, tomato, beans. Lunch, rice / potatoe, pork/chicken/beef + mixed veg. Afternoon snack, 1 or 2 fruit. Dinner canned fish + tomato/ sauce LOL, sweetcorn + a veg(frozen peas)/butternut. and daily, I have a 'kk@khuis vol tee' More or less 6-8, with sugar and milk. and the odd packet of crisps/POPCORN. and it works for me. But then, I suffer from IBs, most likely gluten intolerance,not proven yet, because doctors can't or won't test for it and just want to push pills. I've hears that many people are gluten/wheat intolerant and they don't know it. I feel good for a change when trainign and feel like I can get and keep the weight down.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic ! It's a great start. Now slowly wean yourself from most carbs, and see truly amazing things start to happen ...

I'll have to see if I cut it out completely...

My diet atm:

Breakfast: 50g Futurelife shake with 150ml milk and 150ml water

Snack: Apple

Lunch: 2 slices of low GI toast / rye with tuna/chicken breast/pilchards/ham & cheese/ variation of eggs

Snack: (Optional) 2 pieces of dried fruit or apple

Dinner: Whatever my mom makes, with salad and veggies

Drinks: 2x Coffee with milk, no sugar, 2,5liter water avg

Feel free to commentthumbup1.gif

Lol, cervelo, you're clearly single. Tinned fish & tommy sauce for dinner! Rofl!

Well, I didn't go onto any kind of diet intentionally. But lost 3kg since september. Why, got a kanteen at work, so I lunch what I usually have for dinner, so bascially I cut out all breads, pasta's, wheat crackers, rye etc. And I still eat a lot. Breakfast= yoghurt+ banana+ fruit juice, snack....(another breakfast) scrambled eggs/ 2 poached in the microwave oven. or 2 a week especaiilly when riding in I'll breakfast at the office (scambled eggs, sausages, tomato, beans. Lunch, rice / potatoe, pork/chicken/beef + mixed veg. Afternoon snack, 1 or 2 fruit. Dinner canned fish + tomato/ sauce LOL, sweetcorn + a veg(frozen peas)/butternut. and daily, I have a 'kk@khuis vol tee' More or less 6-8, with sugar and milk. and the odd packet of crisps/POPCORN. and it works for me. But then, I suffer from IBs, most likely gluten intolerance,not proven yet, because doctors can't or won't test for it and just want to push pills. I've hears that many people are gluten/wheat intolerant and they don't know it. I feel good for a change when trainign and feel like I can get and keep the weight down.

Watse tee drink jy? Verander na rooibos en los die suiker, probeer dit net vir 2 dae, dit maak 'n groot verskil

Noakes and his team of researchers = awesome...

Check out his "Challenging Beliefs" book, released last year.

*still trying to wrap my head around this CR concept - good stuff.

Get to read Noakes's 'Challenging Beliefs'.

Awesome read.

Correct TW. Covie, go read the chapter from Noakes book properly (Challenging beliefs)

Busy reading this now. Truly somebody who challenged the 'norms', and not afraid to stick his head out for what he discovers.

Just completed with the "over-hydration" section. What he exposes about Gatorade is actually quite sickening!

Two sections to go that are of interest: Nutrition 101 (Of the opinion that I wouldn't find anything earth shattering contradicting what I know/feel - I'm from the days when carbs where 'complex carbs' and 'carbs' as defined today were known as sugar), and then the "coaching the coaches" section. Not really perturbed about the rugby and cricket sections

Great follow-up read to "The Lore of Running"! thumbup1.gif

Hi all

I haven't jumped on this bandwagon yet, but been reading with interest - some very convincing stuff out there, especially when you start looking into the cholesterol/ heart disease story. (Same views as dracs for now though..)

to share - I've found this guys site pretty interesting, seeing as he's into performance effects as well - it looks a bit like he's trying to sell you something, but I think it's just the idea he's pushing. He's a pretty keen self-experimenter, and has good in-depth posts and seems to stick with science, which is nice. Worth a browse:

http://eatingacademy.com/start-here

Hi all

I haven't jumped on this bandwagon yet, but been reading with interest - some very convincing stuff out there, especially when you start looking into the cholesterol/ heart disease story. (Same views as dracs for now though..)

to share - I've found this guys site pretty interesting, seeing as he's into performance effects as well - it looks a bit like he's trying to sell you something, but I think it's just the idea he's pushing. He's a pretty keen self-experimenter, and has good in-depth posts and seems to stick with science, which is nice. Worth a browse:

http://eatingacademy.com/start-here

Yes, he is pretty smart and I like his website. I posted about him previously in this thread, https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/113902-prof-tim-noakes-u-turn-on-carbohydrates/page__st__384#entry1836106

I've been attempting to eat lower carb for about 3 weeks now. It's not super low carb, but at least it's a major reduction of what I was used to. I also experienced a week of light headedness and tiredness but now feel fine. I have had the odd day where I could not keep to the diet but otherwise my typical day's food looks like this.

Breakfast: 20g tiger oats mixed with 70g future life and milk. (can't easily make scrambled egg's and bacon every morning!)

Snack: 30-40g Mixed nuts

Lunch: Double Cream Greek yogurt, 2 eggs, apple, kiwi fruit

Snack: Cheese with marmite. If I cycle a whey protein shake too.

Dinner: Some form of meat/fish with salad doused in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and half a circle of feta.

Dessert: 4 blocks of dark chocolate

So far my weight has remained constant but I am looking visibly leaner. My training has increased due to the DC being in 3 weeks and I've felt good on the shorter rides up to 2 hours. I drink water, but after 3-4 hours I do need to eat something and will probably race using 32gi.

While I haven't taken to the low carb thing fully, it has made me more aware of what I eat and I look for the foods with the highest fat and lowest carbs. It just prevents me from overloading on carbs which I used to do and I think combined with cutting out wheat has made the biggest difference.

Lol, cervelo, you're clearly single. Tinned fish & tommy sauce for dinner! Rofl!

Basically swapped lunch and dinner... YES , i'M SINGLE....no money, no woman, no problems lol

Watse tee drink jy? Verander na rooibos en los die suiker, probeer dit net vir 2 dae, dit maak 'n groot verskil

5 Rose, tried Rooi horrible bos... jig... can't get that stuff down my throat..

• 2 weeks later...

reached another milestone this morning. I'm finally a member of the sub 100 club. Down to 99kgclap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Just have 2 major issues to work through.

1.) Fueling right, I bonked after riding 5k's on Sat and struggled to ride a dismal 17k'seek.gif This may be linked to point 2.

2.) Overtraining. wacko.png

I seem to have resolved the headaches and insomnia. Headaches with a potassium supplement and the insomnia just seemed to go away.

20Kg's down and 25Kg's to go

reached another milestone this morning. I'm finally a member of the sub 100 club. Down to 99kgclap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Just have 2 major issues to work through.

1.) Fueling right, I bonked after riding 5k's on Sat and struggled to ride a dismal 17k'seek.gif This may be linked to point 2.

2.) Overtraining. wacko.png

I seem to have resolved the headaches and insomnia. Headaches with a potassium supplement and the insomnia just seemed to go away.

20Kg's down and 25Kg's to go

Thats great progress !

I had a bad TT training ride last week as well where I felt weak right out the blocks. I ascribe it to overly low muscle glycogen levels after a too low calorie intake the previous week. It's just that being on this ketogenic diet really doesn't make you hungry and you tend to eat very little without noticing. If you want to actively train, you have to force yourself to eat more to still burn fat, but not to let the metabolism go down too low or to lose too much muscle glycogen.

Busy reading this now. Truly somebody who challenged the 'norms', and not afraid to stick his head out for what he discovers.

Just completed with the "over-hydration" section. What he exposes about Gatorade is actually quite sickening!

Two sections to go that are of interest: Nutrition 101 (Of the opinion that I wouldn't find anything earth shattering contradicting what I know/feel - I'm from the days when carbs where 'complex carbs' and 'carbs' as defined today were known as sugar), and then the "coaching the coaches" section. Not really perturbed about the rugby and cricket sections

Great follow-up read to "The Lore of Running"! thumbup1.gif

What Tim says about forced hydration can be clearly seen in the movie Jarhead. That deals with Iraq War 1, early 1990s. In training the troops are forced to drink and it is nicely (if subtly) documented there.

Camelback is also on the bandwagon. It's slogan is Hydrate or Die! The message is clear - drink more than what you can fit into two frame-mounted water bottles.

Thats great progress !

I had a bad TT training ride last week as well where I felt weak right out the blocks. I ascribe it to overly low muscle glycogen levels after a too low calorie intake the previous week. It's just that being on this ketogenic diet really doesn't make you hungry and you tend to eat very little without noticing. If you want to actively train, you have to force yourself to eat more to still burn fat, but not to let the metabolism go down too low or to lose too much muscle glycogen.

Thanks, That makes lots of sense. I didn't consider that I was under eating and I defo am.

Thanks, That makes lots of sense. I didn't consider that I was under eating and I defo am.

For your body weight, your maintenance calorie needs are prob around 3300 calories. add to that your daily excercise calories. You should aim then for a 10-20 % calorie deficit, not too much more as then your metabolism slows down and you overly deplete muscle glycogen and also tends to start to lose muscle protein.

Min 150 grams of protein for your size and max 30 grams of carbs, and the rest of calories in fat. Lots and lots of fat !

Lekka !

Edited by Topwine

I'll give my perspective for what it's worth :-)

I've been lowish carb since Feb2012, I've been very low carb since July 2012. less than 50g per day, I've posted pictures and info on twitter @RichardMcGeorge for anyone interested.

After 2 weeks I was able to ride without eating anything during the ride and drinking only water, I felt ok and completed many training rides up to 5 hours in this state.

Recently I rode the One Toner the same and I improved my time from last year by 40min, I had my blood sugar measured straight after the ride and it was 3.5 mmol(good), I felt good and concluded my brain had adapted well to using ketones as fuel.

I felt pretty good. BUT I can say that over the last two weeks things have taken a dramatic turn for the better. All of a sudden I have been feeling out of this world good, climbing is fantstic, TT rides awesome, everything is just effortless, obviously I am getting fitter and losing weight, but something happened at around the 12 week mark. Like a switch got flipped and the lights came on (in terms of riding with no food).

On the health side I've had my blood tested and liver and kidney function are normal, triglycerides are low, hdl high, ldl normal, fasting glucose normal. Next test end of Nov after DC I want to get my HBA1c tested and some random blood glucose tests just to see.

If you are doing low carb and are strict with it my recommendation would be keep measuring yourself and give it at least 12 weeks.

Check you on the DC (If we don't get stoned!)