Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Thanks for the advice guys but I bailed on it. High protein and fat diet for a vegetarian is just more than I can handle. Also I am over 50 and that leads to enough general grumpiness without having to go look for more trouble.

I also think being over 50 and having a body fat % hovering around 12% is good enough. I have to ask myself what I am trying to achieve exactly. My cholesterol is normal, my blood pressure is normal and I easily do events like the 94 in under 3 hours. Think I am trying to fix what's not broken.

I did read the books by the way and agree that I should have tried longer but the suffering was too much and as I said earlier, what for?

Well, how about just overall healthier living ? Half of people dying from heart attack, have normal cholesterol . (by the way, it's not the total amount of cholesterol thats important, but more the composition of it and the particle sizes that you have to worry about). Slower dementia, No erectile dysfunction (save on those blue pills !) , reduced risk of Alzheimers, less inflamation, faster recovery, more energy levels, etc, etc, the list is long.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

↑↑↑ most informative article in here ↑↑↑

...as for everything else...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/325/426/1ec.jpg

:lol:

Too bad there is no age limit for the Hub, like min age ! Now go back to school !

Too bad there is no age limit for the Hub, like min age ! Now go back to school !

The bell doesn't ring for another 15min :lol:

Saw a docco of a study at some scandinavian university where they had 20 people get all they take in daily, drinks and food, from the university. Ten were on a carb high diet and 10 were on a protein high diet.

I remember them finding after a month that the Protein guys had better health stats than the carb guys when compared to their stats at the start of the experiment. It was ages ago, so can't remember all the facts accurately though...

I agree with the statement that it should be done in moderation, and should be eased into to give the body time to adjust...

Saw a docco of a study at some scandinavian university where they had 20 people get all they take in daily, drinks and food, from the university. Ten were on a carb high diet and 10 were on a protein high diet.

I remember them finding after a month that the Protein guys had better health stats than the carb guys when compared to their stats at the start of the experiment. It was ages ago, so can't remember all the facts accurately though...

I agree with the statement that it should be done in moderation, and should be eased into to give the body time to adjust...

I'm busy finding the study for you, in the meantime, I stumbled on this interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

Perhaps you should actually first read those 2 books before going on a wild goose Google search and just copying and pasting links before actually reading them properly. There normally is a direct relationship between quantity and quality of posts.

And where is the group of 10, that had a balanced diet between carbs & protein?

Oh, and this nugget. A long, but very interesting read:

Low-carb diets will kill your cycling performance.

The bottom line is that both zero-carb and low-carb diets are a disaster for those engaged in regular strenuous exercise. And for anyone with a sound knowledge of the biochemistry of energy production, this is no big surprise.

The first thing I discovered when I started to cycle was the concept of a diet to lose weight or a lifestyle change by following a sports diet.

The first one is where you starve and deprive your body to get your weight down. The second is eating what your body wants when it needs it.

Personally I've just started a low carb high protein diet (3rd week) and while its great, as soon as I start training again I will be consuming carbs during my rides. Look at the famous AJ Muti mix, best drink around for hitting the trails or training hard and its high in carbs.

I've learn't to listen to my body, it knows best.

What about that whole "Eat Right for Your Type" thing from some years ago? Does that carry any, er, weight here?

You referring to the 'blood type' diet?

:mellow: