Nuwater Cyclist - litter

geecee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it none of you have ever run a red light, taken a pen that is not yours or cussed?

Congratulations, I think you've found the worlds thinnest argument.

could be onto something here but imagine how that place would look after an event like the argus.

I thought that was the case - at IM they have a sign about 150m for the water point where it says no ittering past this point. So you have time to eat/drink and then throw away or store. Trying to open then eat/suck ect is hard enough so putting them should be easy enough

could be onto something here but imagine how that place would look after an event like the argus.

At least then you can concentrate the volunteers to certain areas throughout the day. It will be easier to clean 5 km's of road in total instead of 119km. And put moerse asblikke along the route at these area so the cyclists can play basket-gel...

I thought that was the case - at IM they have a sign about 150m for the water point where it says no ittering past this point. So you have time to eat/drink and then throw away or store. Trying to open then eat/suck ect is hard enough so putting them should be easy enough

Well why not put up a big sign 2km before saying "Littering point in 2km's time".... that will give you enough time to suck on it upfront

We had 4x 250ml Energade bottles in our pockets, that we refilled with carb drink for the race, in addition to 3x standard water bottles on the bike frame. We ditched 2 of the empty Energade bottles when passing water points so we could get into our pockets for GU's etc, and know that they will be picked up with the cleaning crews. We binned the wrappers and the other bottles at the finish.

They should have "litter" or "feeding" zones. Certain areas were it is OK to get rid of your trash. Is it OK to eat a gel and put the rapper in your bib and then get rid of it at a water point for example?

Just take a bit of exposure to get the word out.. then it could work.

I thought that a portion of the R300 we pay to enter this race goes to job creation? I indirectly pay someone to clean up after me. SO actually the more I litter, the more jobs I create :w00t: :w00t: So strictly speaking on that day I can leave a turd in the middle of the road if I want to and they must clean it?

Congratulations, I think you've found the worlds thinnest argument.

If only he'd included a reference to HItler or the Nazis. Then it could have been even thinner.

Personally i feel neither should be 'allowed' those cleanup crews will never get every piece of paper and plastic that gets thrown down. Is this how you generally live, I certainly don't go around throwing my litter on the floor. I dont feel it should be any different during any sort of organised event.

Running would be difficult as you don't have pockets to put the empty water packets into.

I've manned WP and i don't mind the runner/cyclist throwing their water packets, empty cups, goo wrappers down at or near the WP, its when they take it and throw it 2 to 3km away that gets to me.

Rode to work this morning from Hout Bay to Town - sadly the pristine route is marked with sachet packets - the rest of the cleaning up was actually pretty good, but these seem to be left for the wind, it gets worse every year.

Seems to be part of the self-absorbed psyche which pervades the event now in certain categories. Mostly the placebo effect in those packets if you ask me.

Never heard of Nuwater until now. Now I know of Nuwater for all the wrong reasons, cause every time I hear Nuwater's name I'll think or say that they sponsor riders who litter.

Edited by nathrix™ ® ©

Personally i feel neither should be 'allowed' those cleanup crews will never get every piece of paper and plastic that gets thrown down. Is this how you generally live, I certainly don't go around throwing my litter on the floor. I dont feel it should be any different during any sort of organised event.

I dont like it either, but at some point we need to decide if we want everything to be perfect for the environment, or do we want the events to be around the actual competing of the sport - we cant have it both ways.

A compromise is probably what we have now.

Edited by Richard Best

I dont like it either, but at some point we need to decide if we want everything to be perfect for the environment, or do we want the events to be around the actual competing of the sport - we cant have it both ways.

A compromise is probably what we have now.

environment first.

if we don't look after our natural resources we wont have such awesome events here.

They have to work hand in hand.

There was a Nuwater rider who ditched his gu wrapper, but it wasn't Jaco Venter. It was the chap that was part of the original 4 man breakaway (which at that time did not contain Jaco Venter), which was later caught. Unless Mr Venter also threw his gel wrapper and I missed that. I saw an MTN rider put his used container into his back pocket. If MTN can do it, so too can Nuwater

What irks me is the lengths the organisers go towards requesting people not to litter and the top guys think they are too important to heed these requests. Wasn't there an add about how the baboons eat the plastic at some point in time?

I'm sure there were thousands of others doing the same, but they aren't pros and they didn't transgress in front of a tv camera. I hope the rider's team has a few words with him.