Suikerbosrand Cycling

Johan Bornman

I was just giving one example and it might not work 100%, but at least it's the first step in the right direction. We're busy brainstorming for the companies, but I like the ideas being put forth. It might be easier for a two or three companies to change something than for thousands of users to change their behaviour. What about edible packaging and when you mix it with water it almost evaporates? These are just ideas so we can go wild! Like monkeys on Gu! PS. I wrote an email to Gu (most prevelant goo manufacturer I know) so we'll see if I get a response.

In the long term it's a fine idea, but I don't proper social behavior being the responsibility of any company as such. People's attitude need a change before any kind new product, proper enforcement and possibly awareness drives are more important. Remember the 'Zap it in the Zibi' campaign?

There are already alternative products available, like the little gel bottles for example. Also USN package their gels in those toothpaste type tubes.

What it boils down to though, is the attitude of individuals.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question or two:

Were autopsies conducted on the dead animals? When you read about the effects of plastic on wildlife, you read about animals suffocating or getting caught in bags. A goo satchet is relatively small. Did the anelope choke on the goos? Or were they found in the gastrointestinal tracts of the animals?

Well, there's the nugget. We are still waiting for the OP to provide some sort of verification of the whole story...

Nothing smells as good as my 3 Bassets in my car on the way back on a warm summers afternoon after a lekker walk (and swim) at Emmarentia....

Just a question or two:

Were autopsies conducted on the dead animals? When you read about the effects of plastic on wildlife, you read about animals suffocating or getting caught in bags. A goo satchet is relatively small. Did the anelope choke on the goos? Or were they found in the gastrointestinal tracts of the animals?

I'm pretty sure these were diabetic antelope. Most antelope are and can't handle a goo or two

But really... I would imagine it was probably some sort of asphyxiation. Even small bits of plastic can get stuck and cause choking, especially because when they are stuck they can be tricky to unstick from the throat

Edited by patches

:thumbup:

And who the hell trains with gels in their pockets in the first place ?

It's friggin training, not racing.

AGREED, i only carry one GU on training ride and will only use it if really needed....

I'm pretty sure these were diabetic antelope. Most antelope are and can't handle a goo or two

But really... I would imagine it was probably some sort of asphyxiation. Even small bits of plastic can get stuck and cause choking, especially because when they are stuck they can be tricky to unstick from the throat

So, technically, they weren't "ingested" as the OP stated.

I live on a farm which shares a fence with Suikerbosrand. I train daily on all the roads that surround the reseve. There is continually discarded goo sachets on the roads from cyclists. The day after Ride for Sight looked really disgusting with tons of discarded packaging &bottles on the roads. I felt ashamed of our cyclists!! We really need to try police those cycling around us to stop this disgusting behaviour!!

Awesome. Please keep us updated. Oh, and well done on taking a stand.

Tried that once and they made me hand the stand back.

They'd still be chucked on the floor, and chances are the bokkies would have eaten em before the bio degraded and died anyway.

Making them bio-degradeable doesn't mean they disintegrate the moment the touch the ground.

DAMN right!! It's the mentality associated with littering!! Biodegradable or not!! still littering...

These same people also throw burning stompies out of car windows...

How can any idiot litter in a nature reserve. I rid there often and carry everything out with me.

No self respect if you can just throw your rubbish away anywhere but in a bin

Edited by hillel

How about us starting a new "following"...let us pick up all discarded goo packets and post the pics on this here Hub....then it will slowly start creating some awareness...

only problem I forsee is the stopping and starting all the time...no training will be done and your back muscles will be fully developed..

Edited by Cassie

And, why are pigs associated with littering? I've yet to see one toss a goo satchet. They are quite clean animals. Sure, they like to roll in mud a bit. By definition then, I am a pig, as evidenced by Scotty and ewep on a Groenies hub ride. Elephants like mud. So do buck. Why are pigs singled out? Poor pigs.

How can any idiot litter in a nature reserve. I rid there often and carry everything out with me.

No self respect if you can just throw your rubbish away anywhere but in a bin

What's that old saying: Take only pictures, eave only footprints.

And, why are pigs associated with littering? I've yet to see one toss a goo satchet. They are quite clean animals. Sure, they like to roll in mud a bit. By definition then, I am a pig, as evidenced by Scotty and ewep on a Groenies hub ride. Elephants like mud. So do buck. Why are pigs singled out? Poor pigs.

mud wrestling could even be quite fine to watch

mud wrestling could even be quite fine to watch

You want to watch weedmod's hairy arse mud wrestling?