Suikerbosrand Cycling

Johan Bornman

Thanks to pig-like behaviour of cyclists, the Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve will soon be closed to all cyclists. Apparently end-May is the target date.

The reason? Three antelope have now died afer ingesting discarded goo packets.

Yup, you goo pigs may not know this (probably don't care) but if a ruminant ingests plastic, it dies. Period.

A secondary reason is that some cyclists are riding stream-up. And yes, we know other visitors and staff are also guilty, but so are you.

A contributing factor is the reason for using the park. Since it is a nature reserve, visitors come with a certain objective. Cyclists visit the park to train and use it as a training ground.

My view is that the last two reasons could be tolerated but the last nail in the coffin is the goo packets.

Thanks pigs.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope the Argus organizers cleaned up after Sunday. What those pigs left lying on the route through a world heritage site, was enough to cause a major extinction or even the end of a world renowned race. Those gel things are forever cursed!

Thanks to those responsible :cursing:

I caught a guy once throwing his punctured tube away, stopped and made him go into the bushes to fetch it, then followed him back to the car park to make sure he did not throw it away again.

That is so sad. Sad for us cyclists and sad for the park....I reckon they must make at least 20% of their gate takings from cyclists.

Also not meaning to defend cyclists...I personally have seen very little of this type of littering...Goo is a common energy supplement and is also used by hikers and runners so I`d be very reluctant to identify this as a purely `cyclist `issue.

It would also help if any cyclist who spots litter along the road stopped to pick it up, specifically Goo packets and the like as this is obviously in our best interest. Very often the wrappers fall out of pockets without the person noticing, i doubt there is much intentional littering.

I caught a guy once throwing his punctured tube away, stopped and made him go into the bushes to fetch it, then followed him back to the car park to make sure he did not throw it away again.

I would have waited and nicked the discard. I have patches. Will repair tube.

Great, there goes o e location for Trans Baviaans training thanks to some morons who think the sun sets when they sit down. Hopefully they will choke on their goo-fueled egos.

I agree Johan, and we as cyclists should take responsibility, but I think the Gu company should also take responsibility. They know what it is being used for and that it's probably going to be thrown on the ground, therefore can't they try and do something about it, e.g. make bio-degradable packaging? I'm saying that, because even if you throw it in your bin at home, it will end up on the rubbish heap somewhere and animals will eat it and die. Or it might be that stray dogs are lower down the pecking order than antelopes.

I agree Johan, and we as cyclists should take responsibility, but I think the Gu company should also take responsibility. They know what it is being used for and that it's probably going to be thrown on the ground, therefore can't they try and do something about it, e.g. make bio-degradable packaging? I'm saying that, because even if you throw it in your bin at home, it will end up on the rubbish heap somewhere and animals will eat it and die. Or it might be that stray dogs are lower down the pecking order than antelopes.

Nice blame shift there. Are you an American?

ok, you can ride argus wiff i/us/we

Dogs are not Ruminants. Plant-based food eating animals are. Things like cows, horses, deer etc.

As for the blame shift, the guys could just not throw them on the floor all the time. And then recycle them when they get home. Don't blame the company itself for the problem, when it has nothing to do with it.

:eek: patches is your domestique ??

Yeah, I use his quotes, and he repairs my tubes. Washes the bikes sometimes as well.

I got chased by a wildebeest at Suikerbos last time I was there, the poor bugga probably needed help getting a gu packet out his *ss..

To those overweight littering savages.. HTFU, no need for gu's at Suikerbos ! :cursing: