Frame protections options

Gromit

I received a replacement frame for my Anthem X1 and I want to learn from my mistakes on the old frame.

On the old frame I had Lizardskin leather patches to protect in from the cables and a few other contact areas. Unfortunately after a decent wash these patches start peeling off so I am looking for better options.

I know BBB have a full frame protection pack with thick clear vinyl type stickers, will these hold up over time or is it a consumable that needs to be replaced regularly.

I also remember seeing a product that goes over the cables like a sleeve that protects the frame where the cables make contact, I just cant seem to find them anywhere, I am assuming that is because they are not any good?

What do you guys use to protect your frames?

I put the Protection pack on my new bikey, havent taken it out in rain or seriously long sunny rides and its only been there for two weeks but so far I am happy, What i really want is to get 3M car film protection sheets and put that on my bike but havent had time to find a sales outlet yet.

I have it on my roadbike, works a treat. Just make sure areas where you are going to place the "protective stickers" is 100% clean and oil/grease/polish free, otherwise it will start peeling after a while. Mine has been on for over a year now, and frame is still scratch / chip free where the stickers is placed, and the stickers has not started lifting / peeling yet.

I got the BBB frame kit from CWC.

Go to a company that does "sandblast" effect vinyl and ask for a couple of off cuts. This works a treat. I have also tried off cuts of the protective smash and grab film they use on car windows, but this is very stiff and does not take to well to intricate tube junctions.

Look at Bike Shield products. They are very descent and I have been using it for years.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/bike-shield-full-pack

Bike Shield : keeps your bike in mint condition by protecting it from scratches/grit and stones

• On the bike it is invisible
  • Peel it off and the frame is like-new!
  • Ultra-tough protection
  • Self healing when cut
  • Easy to apply or remove by hand
  • Leaves no sticky residue

On my previous bike, which was matt black, i used black insulation tape to protect the frame. It worked very well as it didnt come off with washes, lasted long and matched the paint on the frame.

I guess the clear vinyl type stickers would be your best bet.

I would not recommend the 'sleeves' that cover the cables where the cables touch the frame as dust and mud still come between the cable and frame which will cause the frame to scratch anyway.

Your nearest motorcycle shop should stock something called *Raceface protective film ( I think that’s what its called ) or something similar.

There is a company in PE who sells the 3M flim called Coastland Sales. Similar to what they use at the VPS fitment centres. Around R300 for a 300x1000mm roll. Works well. Our local VPS fitment centre no longer hands out off-cuts.

I use this film on my bikes and they work well.

Edited by Sawdust

The 3M film is great as it is thin so conforms well with the contours of your bike. However I have found that it rubs trough fairly quick especially between your brake cable and crown for example. If you can find a thicker teflon tape that is the best as it lasts forever. Second to that a cheaper thicker clear film/vinyl will also work well.

I took my MTB to VPS (Vehicle Protection Systems) they use a 3M product designed for cars and bakkies.

Covered the top tube and down tube with a clear film, it's nearly invisible, cost R600 for 2 bikes

This stuff is to tough that you struggles to scratch the film with a screw driver, even if you manage to damage the film the under laying carbon / frame is undamaged.

Note that they don't like to fit this stuff on bicycles as it is larbour intensive and their income suffers as a result, but if you ask nicely and if they have time on their hands then they will help you, alternatively you can purchase the film from them and stick it on yourself, but it's not easy doing the whole frame professionally.

www.vps.co.za

I've used that VPS stuff on my MTB, works well. But now I just bought a carbon frame, and I've seen the Pace Carbon Sheets which is made from real Carbon Fibre...not sure where to get it here though. Supposed to protect against anything, even chain slap.

But probably will just use the VPS stuff again, works well enough. And yes they don't like handing out offcuts.

Also theres that LaminX stuff, which is supposedly thicker.

Real MTB'ers will use only some discarded inner tube to wrap around cables where they touch the frame (protects against scuffing...) and use as chain slap. Works like a charm & lasts forever...

As for stone protection on a carbon frame...well, suppose you'll have to be a bit more protective there...

Got this on e-bay for my FuelEx 7, goes by the name "Guardzilla"

Made of Impact Modified Acrylic....

For those with FuelEX's who are interested:

That looks sweet. I went with the BBB protection Tubeskin sticker for that section on my new carbon frame.