KULULA Rip off

Baster Brak

So I am on my way to Durban by the sea and all, travelling with my two companions, my R3SL and my P3, so we travelled to JHB on monday and we accepted that by know we are expected to pay extra for our bikes, so before checking in on monday I stroll over to Mango and pay my 400 South African Rants to allow my bikes to fly, now on the sceond leg we are no travelling to DBN from JHB and I go to check in, with kulula I was told to check in first and then proceeded back to the ticketing counter to go pay my 400 South African Rants, No they say we will charge you 600 South African RAnts for you bikes to fly, we know its 50% more and we dont care because you have no choice, thank you KULULA, o yes I know remeber 2 years ago you guys f#cked my bike up flying from JHB to DBN before the Tour Durban and I ended up not being able to do the race, so my 2 cents' IF YOU ARE A CYCLIST AND YOU NEED TO TRAVEL WITH YOUR BIKE, DO NOT, AND I MEAN DO NOT FLY KULULA, THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CON ARTISTS. :cursing:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am on my way to Durban by the sea and all, travelling with my two companions, my R3SL and my P3, so we travelled to JHB on monday and we accepted that by know we are expected to pay extra for our bikes, so before checking in on monday I stroll over to Mango and pay my 400 South African Rants to allow my bikes to fly, now on the sceond leg we are no travelling to DBN from JHB and I go to check in, with kulula I was told to check in first and then proceeded back to the ticketing counter to go pay my 400 South African Rants, No they say we will charge you 600 South African RAnts for you bikes to fly, we know its 50% more and we dont care because you have no choice, thank you KULULA, o yes I know remeber 2 years ago you guys f#cked my bike up flying from JHB to DBN before the Tour Durban and I ended up not being able to do the race, so my 2 cents' IF YOU ARE A CYCLIST AND YOU NEED TO TRAVEL WITH YOUR BIKE, DO NOT, AND I MEAN DO NOT FLY KULULA, THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CON ARTISTS. :cursing:

I flew to Abu dhabi for Abu dhabi tri and lady from ethihad airways charged me $20 per kilogram for my bike bag!!! R4000 to get my bike there!!! The guys were such dip sh!ts.

What irks me is the fact that there are FAT people... yea I said it... it is relevant... FAT people who weight more that me my bike and my luggage and my tools and my girlfriend put together and they pay for one seat... with carry-on luggage and with 20KG of checked-in luggage!!

I say this is relevant because we are charged per kilogram for extra weight... airlines need to make sure of the weight limits of the plane else it may not lift off the ground... seriously!

OK now I guess because a bike has to be carried carefully and packed carefully... so that could account for extra charges-only because they toss the "normal" bags like rubbish!

Now where the Fk do they get to the R300 per bike per flight? My ticket to the Golovane return is R1000... sweeeeet! but to take my 10KG bike will cost another R600 for the return trip!!!

I aint taking any luggage other than my carry-on cycling kit... so in total my total weight for everything (me, bike, tools clothes) is 85KG at most...

Now some fat bastard is paying the same... :cursing:

What irks me is the fact that there are FAT people... yea I said it... it is relevant... FAT people who weight more that me my bike and my luggage and my tools and my girlfriend put together and they pay for one seat... with carry-on luggage and with 20KG of checked-in luggage!!

I say this is relevant because we are charged per kilogram for extra weight... airlines need to make sure of the weight limits of the plane else it may not lift off the ground... seriously!

OK now I guess because a bike has to be carried carefully and packed carefully... so that could account for extra charges-only because they toss the "normal" bags like rubbish!

Now where the F&#k do they get to the R300 per bike per flight? My ticket to the Golovane return is R1000... sweeeeet! but to take my 10KG bike will cost another R600 for the return trip!!!

I aint taking any luggage other than my carry-on cycling kit... so in total my total weight for everything (me, bike, tools clothes) is 85KG at most...

Next time fold up your stupid bike into the accepted size for luggage, so it can be transported with normal luggage handling techniques. Your attack as a hairless skinny little runt on overweight people is unwarranted.

Next time fold up your stupid bike into the accepted size for luggage, so it can be transported with normal luggage handling techniques. Your attack as a hairless skinny little runt on overweight people is unwarranted.

But kind of relevent. I would love to know how they actually work out a price to begin with, maybe Baie-Sukkel could shed some light on the matter.

on their website they say if you can fit everything in your bike box and it is under 20kg's its FREE????

Flying to Sani soon, wanna know if its true?

I will keep them to it.

always hard to compare a free market company like kulula with mango.they are part of saa, a parastatal.who we bail out/subsidise.

ps. Could of worked out from the tone that you're a cervelo owner!

The attack is relevant to a degree (without perhaps the emphasis on the FAT part...). Does anybody get weighed before they board? What happens if you get a plane full of undertall people all weighing in at 125kgs with hand luggage and 20kgs normal luggage?

on their website they say if you can fit everything in your bike box and it is under 20kg's its FREE????

Flying to Sani soon, wanna know if its true?

I will keep them to it.

Having just read that, Im not sure if it refers to a bag of equipment or your actuall bike box.

... so in total my total weight for everything (me, bike, tools clothes) is 85KG at most...

I agree with you.........WAIT A MINUTE........I weigh 85 kilos, and you are calling me FAT?! I'm a 100% rippling muscle bike power and cage fighting machine! Now I DISAGREE with you! Pay extra for your bikes! ;)

haha... you obviously either do not travel with your bike... dont care for your bike... or you like to bend the rules and make the rest of us pay for your cheating the system!

Personally... I still suck it up and pay the money because the alternative is just unthinkable - I guess this is what the airlines count on... and FAT people :clap:

My personal opinion on FAT people stands... however I guess the real rant should be at the politically correct airlines who know that the most people who travel are overweight because more than 50% of South African's are!!! - medical fact. (sic)

PS... about your observation of my hairless skinny little runt... its true!!!...but you also forgot OCD... and a few other morsels.. :clap:

I agree with you.........WAIT A MINUTE........I weigh 85 kilos, and you are calling me FAT?! I'm a 100% rippling muscle bike power and cage fighting machine! Now I DISAGREE with you! Pay extra for your bikes! ;)

Dude... My brother is a rippling muscle container of a slim 95kg!! so to him you are a skinny little runt! :clap: my point is not that 85kg or 95 kg is light or heavy... everything is relative...

I guess I have an issue with people who do not take care of themselves... my bad :blush:

Having just read that, Im not sure if it refers to a bag of equipment or your actuall bike box.

Dude... I just read that too... :w00t:

Last time i flew to Durbs for Outsurance expidition - BTW awesome ride - I made a scene about that exact fact! hehe... nah... I doubt that change would have been made because of me... would it??... am i to be rewarded for my rant on FAT people??? I wonder...

:nuke:

All airlines have tightened up on excess baggage, just go prepared. Do your home work, Cut down on the kuk you normally pack - after all what is the priority here? Pack all the heavy items into small backpack which you can take on board and is often not weighed. Note: do not take tools or spares or liquids in hang luggage, big problem. Pre-pay/buy excess, its often cheaper. Sometimes they will let an extra 5 kg's go, sometimes not. Pot luck. Make an effort to be nice about it.

Last time I flew to CT with a bike, 1Time were very co-operative. Personally I don't like Kulula and avoid flying with them. All that silliness gets to me

Last year I flew to Phlippines with mtb (18 Kgs all in), found out they give extra 10 Kg's Scuba allowance so cunning made use of that. But it had to be pre-authorised.

Oh, and don't try fly with CO2 bombs pack in your bike. Most Airports now XRay bikes.

The issue of whether passengers and their baggage should be weighed together or not has been rolling around (like a beetle on its back) for years now and will continue to do so until, probably as the result of a safety issue, it has to be addressed.

I believe there was a middle of the day scheduled flight from Germany to London a few years ago that was traditionally full of "business men carrying a small briefcase" . On this particular day though the flight was full of football fans returning from an Inernational match, all with suitcases. The crew punched in the "usual" weight numbers for this sort of flight rather and on take off struggled to get off the ground (or possibly aborted take off - I can't remember)

In these days of continued financial pressure, surely a full "pay exactly as you go" system is inevetable?