Downhillers are insane...........

Mads

Today I had this bright Idea of going to the Taalmonument road in Paarl and chase up the tar road ( doing my hill intervals) and then going down the single tracks while recovering my HR.

It went well up the tar road :P ......but then I tried the (I think) highest one going through the trees first. and after that a few more........

I could not even ride some of the chicken runs. -_-

I am sure one needs a ladder to descent some of those drops :)

I am now convinced downhillers must be very good or down right insane or a bit of both.

:D :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or we just allow our bikes to do the work ;)

if you had followed someone, it would be quite a bit different cos they will show you the line and entry speed etc, even if only via the chicken runs. You'd do quite a bit better than you'd initally think.

Edited by Capricorn

That was the problem.!! My bike said: "No ways, Uh hu!! You go first!"

So we both walked :P :P

if you had followed someone, it would be quite a bit different cos they will show you the line and entry speed etc, even if only via the chicken runs. You'd do quite a bit better than you'd initally think.

+1, When I started mtbing properly going down the ST's behind my dad helped a lot with the lines.

I think xc riders are insane, riding up the single track and then down the road! Seriously though, dh is not as intimidating as you might think. It just takes practice like everything else.

I followed in the trail of a friend once .... didn't work. Still can't fathom how he got down some parts, riding at full speed. I just couldn't do it :blush:

I have always marveled at their fearless descents of the trails - guess it's all down to familiarity of the run and the conditions on the day.

One day I'll give it a go :thumbup:

A few months ago I was also riding that Monument road. that day a few of them were busy riding. The earth rumbled as they came down there. But today ..... seeing what they actually ride at that speed. Sjoe !

Maybe there in lies the secret. :) Low altitude flying.

A few months ago I was also riding that Monument road. that day a few of them were busy riding. The earth rumbled as they came down there. But today ..... seeing what they actually ride at that speed. Sjoe !

Maybe there in lies the secret. :) Low altitude flying.

love that rumble, albeit i can hardly hear it with my lid on, but it's a very visceral experience. Next time u at majik, just lay off the brakes abit longer than u normally would, or rather, pedal a bit on the descents. It's very thrilling, and as Jimmy HT pointed out, it's often all about practice. Keep doing it, little bit faster each time. Before long, you'd be experiencing your own bit of low altitude flying...

love that rumble, albeit i can hardly hear it with my lid on, but it's a very visceral experience. Next time u at majik, just lay off the brakes abit longer than u normally would, or rather, pedal a bit on the descents. It's very thrilling, and as Jimmy HT pointed out, it's often all about practice. Keep doing it, little bit faster each time. Before long, you'd be experiencing your own bit of low altitude flying...

And occasionally a bit of low altitude crashing.... damn those pesky trees.

And occasionally a bit of low altitude crashing.... damn those pesky trees.

Nothing wrong with those trees, they are my emergency brakes on the trail.

I tried using the rocks before for emergency stops, but found this to not work all that well and it had a habit of breaking helmets.

Nothing wrong with those trees, they are my emergency brakes on the trail.

I tried using the rocks before for emergency stops, but found this to not work all that well and it had a habit of breaking helmets.

Tried using fellow riders? I find them rather cushy compared to rocks, trees and the like.

I had the problem (read skid marks in my shorts) the first time I went to Mankele. I took the wrong turn and ended up on the downhill route. I was like WTH!!

I have major respect for the Downhill riders. You are insane!!