Dual vs Hardtail vs 26 or 29

doppelganger

Hey guys

I have ben toying with the idea of getting a dual suspension bike. I currently have a Merida hardtail 26 inch. While I enjoy the bike I do find I struggle some times. I am not sure if it boils down to leg strength or bike setup. When riding on trails like Rietvlei I feel uncomfortable going down hill as my seat feels too high. When I lower my seat I struggle up hills.

That aside, I am looking forward to a soft tail as the ride will be more relaxing? I am not a hard rider, but also want to progress to be able to ride through most scenarios on a trail.

So, should I look at getting a 29er hard tail, 26 DS or 29er DS? I have seen people mention that 29er DS bikes are very heavy and not as responsive?

I am roughly 1.9m tall and weigh around 90kg. I feel lost... so many options and I am getting so many different answers from the guys at bike shops. Can anybody help with some ideas?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got plenty money, buy them all. The taller you are, the more suited you will be to a 29er.Geometry and frame setup plays a big part in you being comfortable or not. Best to test different brands to see what suits you.Remember a hardtail 29 or not,is still a hardtail,but it is much more responsive.

The more established brands(Cannondale/Specialized) tend to be a bit more clued up on design,therefore increase comfort.At the end you pay for what get,so enjoy the bike hunting - lots of choice!

A dropper seatpost could be ideal for you...

In terms of comfort (in order of worst to best) I'd say it goes like this: HT 26, HT 29, DS 26, DS 29.

See if you can demo any bikes and feel what works best for you and the type of terrain you like to ride.

Guys please don't let this become a argument of which is best...I just want some insight ask to what will be best for me.

Edited by Pierrek

Guys please don't let this become a argument off which is best...I just wants someone insight ask to what will be best for me.

dual sus, 29., 26. 27.5 wont make a diff here, your problem is bike setup, more than anything else, go for one, if you want a new bike without getting into a debate i can tell you 29 for tall guys are the way to go.

The only time you ever need to drop your seat is if you do all mountain type riding.

29er Dually wins, only disadvatages might be heavy wheels which can be upgraded, and some people find it more difficult to turn a 29er through a hairpin since it requires a bit more guts to almost fall into a hairpin and then correct it be turning the bike in under you.

The taller you are, the more suited you will be to a 29er.Geometry and frame setup plays a big part in you being comfortable or not.

Myth, I reckon. Look at Andrew Mclean and Yolande Speedy. Neither of them can actually be declared a bean pole.

In my inexpert opinion, the big difference is in the ability of the bike to roll and its manoeuvrability. If I had to get a bike now, I'd like to try a 29er HT. I don't like full-sussers personally.

I've had a lot of different scooters & all I can say is

I are werry heppie wif my 29er d/s, wot comes with a twinlocks for da suspenshun. :whistling: SCOTT RULES!!

I'm 1.82 & weigh 90 kg's (vettie) & hard tails are just that "hard"

whether its a 26" or 29" makes no diffs, Jou gat stamp!!!

& if u get the right Dikwiel, you'll make at least 3 outa the 4 tight bends.

so my 2 cents... 29er dual susser, or a lekka cushy 120 mm travel 26 ' bike