How do I climb better

I was a bad climber until I learnt how to suffer, then I was mediocre climber. I dropped 11kg's and now i am an ok climber. I plan to drop 3 or 4 more kg's and then i will be slightly better than average. The moral: hard work and discipline over time will get you there.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Lose weight.

2.Start the climb in the right gear.

3.Approach with the correct attitude, don't attack the climb.

4.Get in to a rhythm.

5.Spinning like a helicopter gets you nowhere.

5.Keep looking to the top of the climb.

6.Pull your quads towards your chest and push your knee forward on the downstroke.

Great advice, also

- Core work (already said)

- Relax upper body while pushing, don't hang on the grips like you're trying to kill a chicken!

- Stay seated but if you need to come out of the saddle make it count

Interesting article.

I was a bad climber until I learnt how to suffer, then I was mediocre climber. I dropped 11kg's and now i am an ok climber. I plan to drop 3 or 4 more kg's and then i will be slightly better than average. The moral: hard work and discipline over time will get you there.

I second this....a little bit of hard work never hurt anyone.....ie, if its done the correct way.

I'm no expert, but here's my 50 cents worth:

1. Start to enjoy hills, don't go "ah ****"

2. When you put a hill behind you, feel good about your self

3. Make every hill count, granny gear will not necessarily make it easier next time

4. Do a proper hill session at least once per week!

I have dropped a bit more than 11kg's in the last 7 weeks or so ;) and I can confirm that that alone is not enough to make you a 'better' climber :unsure: but it does make a big big difference :thumbup:

The other advice here is clearly also critical, core wek, technique and as my big boet Dangerous Dan always says 'we can all race the flats and the downs, train for the HILLS!' :devil:

I have dropped a bit more than 11kg's in the last 7 weeks or so ;) and I can confirm that that alone is not enough to make you a 'better' climber :unsure: but it does make a big big difference :thumbup:

The other advice here is clearly also critical, core wek, technique and as my big boet Dangerous Dan always says 'we can all race the flats and the downs, train for the HILLS!' :devil:

One of the best climbing partners I had the pleasure of riding with :thumbup:

I have never been a good climber, and it's starting to really bother me now. Today I passed some riders on a gentle downhill like that we're looking for parking, but the minute the hills started they steadily closed the gap.

I seem to climb at around 7 k/h on longer climbs, how can I get better physically? I do the position on the seat etc. my legs just don't want to allow me to keep the cadence high even in granny gear.

How often do you ride?

No jokes here ... get or build up a SS and then go do the hills ... you will feel like you are dying out there in the beginning, but after a coupe of rides things start working and you cope better and better with every ride.

Then get back on your geared bike and feel the difference.

I would say to incorporate running into your training program as well.

If I have a normal training week I do two 50min sessions on IDT, two 3.5-4km runs and race/long ride on a Sat.(3h30min)

I've found the running gives me more power in my legs, and it definitely adds some endurance. Taking the running very slow and only add something like 500m every two weeks or so. I will get to the stage where I do one 8km run a week sometime.

With you on that struggling to loose weight thing. Just by following my normal crappy diet and the above program, I've lost 2kgs in two months. Still have a boep that is weighing me down, but the wife and I started our diet togther today so I'll soon be flyin up them hills

No jokes here ... get or build up a SS and then go do the hills ... you will feel like you are dying out there in the beginning, but after a coupe of rides things start working and you cope better and better with every ride.

How often do you ride your SS and on what types of terrain. I stay in a pretty hilly area with lots of up and down

How often do you ride your SS and on what types of terrain. I stay in a pretty hilly area with lots of up and down

A SS can be ridden on any terrain.

What Danglysackofhair said.

SS makes you strong and hard. So does running.

The olde phrase "do what you hate" when training on your bike is the best advice.

If you're battling to lose weight - throw money at the problem - 2kg of your bike make a few percent difference to your climbing time.

But a 29er*

*ok ok that was just trolling.

How often do you ride?

Umm, once a week, sometimes less, sometimes twice. :mellow: - Gym / biokinetics twice a week.

I have 2 kids under 3yrs of age and the wife and I both work, so time is few I'm afraid.

What Danglysackofhair said.

SS makes you strong and hard. So does running.

The olde phrase "do what you hate" when training on your bike is the best advice.

If you're battling to lose weight - throw money at the problem - 2kg of your bike make a few percent difference to your climbing time.

But a 29er*

*ok ok that was just trolling.

:clap: :clap:

Can I use that ?

Can I simulate a SS by putting it in a gear and having the discipline to not change?