How do I climb better

Anyone who thinks that by riding once a week and improve will be enough, is only fooling themselves.

Seriously? Yes! YES!! and YES!!!

to get better at something you have to work at it as has been indicated by HS. If time is an issue, you have to become creative about it and hit the gym for strength work(core & more)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? Yes! YES!! and YES!!!

to get better at something you have to work at it as has been indicated by HS. If time is an issue, you have to become creative about it and hit the gym for strength work(core & more)

I would put repeated leg work above core work, core work can be done whilst watching TV.

So if you are going to spend time to hit the gym, it might as well be a spin session.

I try and squeek in a 6km hilly route in the afternoons when I can, Im going to try do it more often now - problem is, often the day after biokinetics Im sore and stiff, because we work hard there.

Do your 6km route in the mornings! You get out what you put in. Get out of you comfort zone and when you to start to see the results it makes all the effort worth it.

Do your 6km route in the mornings! You get out what you put in. Get out of you comfort zone and when you to start to see the results it makes all the effort worth it.

My little boy wakes at about 5, I feed him and then look after the kids till the nanny comes in at 7am :thumbdown:

Here's an earth shattering tip - If you want to be a better climber.......

CLIMB MORE and when you done climbing, climb some more!

eventually you wont be at 90% HR up climbs, you will be able to sit with slower climbers at 60-70% HR.

Oh and by climbing more I mean, ride them, ALOT.... at different exertion levels, intervals, recovery, tempo, endurance.

And if that wasnt clear enough, CLIMB lots.

Oh and core work and pedal stroke specific strengthening movements in the gym wont hurt either.

Edited by rattlesnake

Funny thing

The last few Table Mountain rides I have been leaving my 6-8kg bag in a car at the start of the ride.

Amazing how much easier the ride up is compared to riding with the back pack :whistling:

Funny thing

The last few Table Mountain rides I have been leaving my 6-8kg bag in a car at the start of the ride.

Amazing how much easier the ride up is compared to riding with the back pack :whistling:

What have you got in the bag to make it 6-8kgs?

if you dont have time to go on the road to practice your hill climbing.get your self a indoor trainer and use carmichaels hill training program in the morning while waiting for the maid to come.i tried it and it works.

What have you got in the bag to make it 6-8kgs?

My commuting bag with my clothes, tools/pumps (Shock pump and normal pump), toiletries and other odds and ends for work after the ride.

ok, so another question, relating to geting better at hills.

How does it fit into a training program? Does one set out a program to ride hills, then have a day for working on speed, then a day where it is about recovery and riding at a spinning pace. Or do you just ride a few hills everyday as part of your ride ?

Yea, sure riding more makes you fitter, but where does riding hills fit into a heart rate porgram then? Do you just throw the heart rate out the window and just ride the hill at top speed? What is the best way to get faster ?

its easy find a steady hill and gogogogogogogogogogogogo wash rinse and repeat...

just dont do it every day.

walking lunges also help for me

may i ask why not everyday ?

Jees, I have an 18 month old girl and it really does come down to T.I.T.S. (Time in the Saddle).

OK, I have serious health issues as well but know for a fact that once a week is not enough if you want to improve. Try get two 30min - an hour workouts in the week and one longer one weekends.

Only do hill repeats once a week....too much hill training can make you slow as well ;)

Use a higher gear than you are comfortable with on the hill and do not change halfway, suffer baby!!

Hill intervals...find a hill and bring HR into lactate threshold zone for two minutes, then back down to LSD zone, as soon as you are down, pick it up again to lactate threshold or over for two minutes . That is one interval. do as many as you can to start and build from there. You'll never believe how long two minutes can be, will feel like you are dying.

For me to lose weight I find longer rides in LSD work the best (5hrs in the saddle), but I know where you are as I cannot do that either, need to spend time with the little tike as well.

Can't really help you there, I don't diet ;)