Soft MTB fork setup - pros/cons?

NotSoBigBen

How does the bike behave at these settings? what would you prefer it do?

On bumpy terrain (rough jeep/single track) the bike seems to jump around and be tough on the arms ..... like I mentioned maybe the 15kg's I've lost the last 8 weeks means anyway re-setting the sag at least?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick hijack! I weigh in at 84 and I can never seem to get the balance rite on my neg and pos pressures on my SID. Always too hard and never seems to tame the smaller bumps! what is a good balance? I've set my sag to 20% and that meant nothing in the end!

yep, start with resetting the air spring's pressure. It's probably too 'stiff' given your recent weight losses. Also, what is the compression setting on the fork? Sure it's not locked out?

yep, start with resetting the air spring's pressure. It's probably too 'stiff' given your recent weight losses. Also, what is the compression setting on the fork? Sure it's not locked out?

Yoh Cap now you 'vat me sommer in the gesig' :whistling: ;) - It's an RL so has no compression and it for sure is not locked out :thumbup:

Will do the whole setting thing from scratch again ..... thanks for all the advice gents!

Watch the leaders at the start of the epic, as they take off.

Two things I've noticed:

1. The suspension is working already even on the flat so must be set pretty soft.

2. The other thing is that i doubt there is anyone one with > 100mm of travel and on some of them I doubt there is even that.

I notice that many of the faster/better riders seem to run their forks pretty soft - are there any specific pros and or cons to doing this?

Will it make any difference to an untalented 'weekend warrior' such as myself that rides long 'non-technical' rides on the weekend and short stumbles through the Rietvlei Zoo Farm 'XC' course in the week?

My 5c.. Dont know If you have noticed or read on blogs that the pro's are running their suspension softer, I read about it aswell.. I'd own it to less out the saddle efforts, the percentage of time hammering out the saddle on a 120km stage vs 50-60km xc racing..Id say prob 30% VS 5%.. Also saving the body and bike over 7-8days is something all these guys are talking about..

ok now I feel better and can go on with work :rolleyes:

i understand what ppl see, but what's not being quantified here is what qualifies as soft for pros versus joe public. Also what's not known is whether the pro's are running custom valving or not. the first 20-40% of the stroke might appear to be super supple, while becoming quite progressive thru the remainder of the travel.

Run what's comfortable for you. "Looking" at the pros without context (fork setup, rider weight, tyre pressure etc) is misleading at best.

TuinslangMan (oops dirrent call you at your hub name)

This is the way to do it and it has ample mud clearance.

post-4100-0-72326200-1332834507.jpg

Yeah but I'm not a 'hard' a$$ ;)

TuinslangMan (oops dirrent call you at your hub name)

This is the way to do it and it has ample mud clearance.

post-4100-0-72326200-1332834507.jpg

Your bike needs one of these, and then only would it be perfect:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/54964.jpg

Edited by TheV

Is that bike a Mormon? It has so many forks....

Nice. Dangle, new name for your bike, call it Mitt...

Is that bike a Mormon? It has so many forks....

You see, there is two ways to approach a bike like this, any SS for that matter.

The one all the posers walk around with and the one that does Ultra's and other events.

The one that does the ultra's, that's the one that benefits from the added comfort of the Niner fork (it's a serious piece of engineering that fork :whistling: )

Nice. Dangle, new name for your bike, call it Mitt...

how boring, he had a missionary position in France...

HairySack'll have to get that bike rubber side up!