What to drink while riding??

Cyclenatic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i once had Jack and water in my bottles, does that count?

Jack and water a tad rough, very little carbs. This one on the other hand has plenty of carbs and goes down better during SS events. Also fine for washing down mushrooms on long forest rides.

post-14134-0-69687500-1332924502.jpg

Hi all, i am a mountain biker, been riding a while now with only water and want something not too expensive to race with.... more for racing then training,any suggestions?? (en dit moet lekker wees)

When you are big, and ride SS, then you just drink beer.

Jack and water a tad rough, very little carbs. This one on the other hand has plenty of carbs and goes down better during SS events. Also fine for washing down mushrooms on long forest rides.

post-14134-0-69687500-1332924502.jpg

Right!

What he said................(good choice of ale too!)

Covie can you elaborate on the sugar/32GI issue? Why does sugar render 32GI useless?

Theres a thread somewhere on the hub "32GI that stuff rocks" or something similar from last year where it was discussed indepth, I cant remember all the technical details, but a lot of people complained they bonked suddenly on the stuff, or that it did absolutly nothing for some people. While others swore by the product.

The short and sweet was that the people who bonked took coke at waterpoints and just hit the wall, while the others had sugar intake before the rides and using 32gi.

The importer/producer of 32gi gave a huge breakdown of how the low GI stuff works and to get optimal results only low GI foods should be taken during a race as well as prior.

Covie can you elaborate on the sugar/32GI issue? Why does sugar render 32GI useless?

From the 32GI website :

Can I take in gels while using 32Gi™ Low GI Endurance Energy Drink?

At all costs you want to prevent spiking by taking in a high GI product such as a gel. If done it will result in short lived energy supply, thereafter necessitating frequent gel top ups . It is highly recommended to delay the take in of any high GI substances for as long as possible in order to benefit from long lasting energy supply. This includes anything along the route such as coke, jelly beans etc. If you were going to take a high GI substance it would be recommended to take it in right towards the end of the event.

Theres a thread somewhere on the hub "32GI that stuff rocks" or something similar from last year where it was discussed indepth, I cant remember all the technical details, but a lot of people complained they bonked suddenly on the stuff, or that it did absolutly nothing for some people. While others swore by the product.

The short and sweet was that the people who bonked took coke at waterpoints and just hit the wall, while the others had sugar intake before the rides and using 32gi.

The importer/producer of 32gi gave a huge breakdown of how the low GI stuff works and to get optimal results only low GI foods should be taken during a race as well as prior.

Covie, ur reffering to MDW's comment on the first page of the following forum : https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/81269-using-32gi-with-gu/page__hl__32gi__fromsearch__1

page 1 post #2 from SHeman

"To go cheap, try the Asker Jeukendrup mix, read here: http://www.thehubsa....__fromsearch__1"

Focus dude focus!

Ah, right. I lost track when bon bon stalked me this morning.

But, that homemade juice is excellent, and cheap.

Edited by TNT1

:eek: hmmm... think you can suck Froome's wheel? Vroom's even?

What the awesome Bergbok does not know (oh Bok, can you please list your achievements ?) (my tril is bigger than yours challenge of the day, coz I am sure that Goerge and Froome might have bigger piele here)

Froome's first bike was a mountain bike, a GT.

The kid had no idea what he was capable of when he raced that bike for the first time.

What the awesome Bergbok does not know (oh Bok, can you please list your achievements ?) (my tril is bigger than yours challenge of the day, coz I am sure that Goerge and Froome might have bigger piele here)

Froome's first bike was a mountain bike, a GT.

The kid had no idea what he was capable of when he raced that bike for the first time.

I love my alu zaskar but there the similarity ends.

Froome rocks, can't wait to watch him come Giro.

Cadel, Froome, many top players on the Pro Tour started on dirt.