Cape Epic Stage 3 : 147km, 2900m

rouxtjie

@eldron, I think if it wasn't a UCI event, I would agree with you, but I think the pro's throw enough money and time towards this, to at least be afforded some assistance, enven at the tech zones, they are not to allowed to have their own mechanics there and need to do it themselves.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RT @teambulls: the #AbsaCapeEpic is taking its toll...

Mampoer innie Spraait? Achtung Baby?

Songo and 360LIFE going so fast now it seems like the live tracking is broken on the rest

@AbsaCapeEpic: @Nedbank360life and @36ONE lead chasers by 6 minutes at the top of the UFO climb. Which of these two teams will win today?

Picture: View at McGregor water point

post-4329-0-01791600-1332928200.jpg

Whats everyone's opinion on having a back up team? Personally I'm against it - it turns the Epic into a money game - spend the extra dosh on another team and have a rolling back up service. Not cool.

Kinda against the ethos of "2 man team".

Bugger that. They should go back to racing like they did in the early years of races like the TDF, carry your own spares/food/whatever. Break your bike, find a blacksmith nearby and fix it yourself. Just don't pay a kid a few bucks to pump the bellows, you get banned for that.

@eldron, I think if it wasn't a UCI event, I would agree with you, but I think the pro's throw enough money and time towards this, to at least be afforded some assistance, enven at the tech zones, they are not to allowed to have their own mechanics there and need to do it themselves.

surely their choice how much $$ they throw in?? Nobody external dictated their budget. ENough of an advantage that top guys can have purpose built bikes for the event IMHO

Looks like it would've been a good close battle between 360 and 36O if it weren't for the mechanical on day 1.

<Devils advocate hat on>

36One did it last year without backup. This year they have done it without help so far, even though there is support in the wings if needed. If DG and KE had backup many would have felt differently about the whole issue. If no backup is allowed, then there should be no special treatment at the tech zones either. The big teams can afford to have 2 x wheelsets and 2 x everything but a new frame at the techzones. DG being in the position to change wheels on stage one may have disadvantaged teams that is currently not in the top 10 or 20.

<Devils Advocate hat off>

ja, but no one wants to fly out a team with riders all the equipment, mechanics etc hire cars, caper vans and then let the race disappear form them because fo a mechanical......

tech zones in mtb is a relatively new concept, before you were on your own and the old 'inner tube in a water bottle' was the only way :-)

At least Dave and Kev will get the red jersey back - little consolation but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Agree with Eldron...Songo and Bulls have a clear advantage over other teams. What would have happend if 360Life had a backup team on stage1...