Shimano 105 rear derailleur sticky

UvRooyen

I have a Shimano 105 groupset on a Pinarello FP Quattro that constantly need adjusting on the rear derailleur.

It doesn't shift well at all, then I adjust it, small adjustments, and 200-300km later it is a little "sticky" in the upshift again. You shift and hear that krrr krrr krrr, and 50m later the chain jumps. Stop and adjust, 200 km later it is there again. Down shifts are smooth.

I've had it back to Bruce's three times allready, but it still does it, they say it is normal with new cables, they still need to stretch.

Any advice?

Uhm, as far as my rather limited knowledge goes, "stretching" cables is a fallacy / myth. If it was the cable "stretching" then your downshifts will also be compromised.

Can't give you more help here, except to suggest you sent a pm to Johan Bornman. He should be able to give you better advice.

Have the alignment of the RD hanger checked.

You might be asking how can the hanger of a new bike be bent? Happens easier than you think, might have happened when you loaded the bike into the car the first time or laid it down on the driveside.

And yes, cables do not stretch (neither does a chain for that matter) but the cables does set within the housing and that's why you sometimes need to finetune a new bike after the first couple of rides.

It is the norm for most bikes to recieve a free service a few weeks after purchase purely to set the gears as new cables do tend to stretch.

The fact that yours is happening over and over again suggests something more sinister. Are the cables clean inside the housing? Perhaps try to clean them with a decreaser every so often and apply a thin amount of lube to the cable.

I have a Shimano 105 groupset on a Pinarello FP Quattro that constantly need adjusting on the rear derailleur.

It doesn't shift well at all, then I adjust it, small adjustments, and 200-300km later it is a little "sticky" in the upshift again. You shift and hear that krrr krrr krrr, and 50m later the chain jumps. Stop and adjust, 200 km later it is there again. Down shifts are smooth.

I've had it back to Bruce's three times allready, but it still does it, they say it is normal with new cables, they still need to stretch.

Any advice?

Tankman, do we have to go through this again? Shimano on a Pinarello???

:w00t: This time it wasnt me! I would have recommended Ultegra or DA ;)

@Eugene lubing cables is not a good idea, this attracts more dirt than it helps.

Ask YellowSaddle if cables stretch ... just make sure you are wearing your flamesuit!

Edited by Tankman

:w00t: This time it wasnt me!

@Eugene lubing cables is not a good idea, this attracts more dirt than it helps.

Ask YellowSaddle if cables stretch ... just make sure you are wearing your flamesuit!

ROFL. Yeah. Flame suit... industrial strength.

And dirt in the cable housings may also be a problem. There's a reason I prefer fully enclosed cabling!

ROFL. Yeah. Flame suit... industrial strength.

And dirt in the cable housings may also be a problem. There's a reason I prefer fully enclosed cabling!

Even I know the answer of that... and I had the privilege to experience it twice... in real life... he built two bikes for me... I watched him work... drank his coffee... and learnt ALOT..... dont ask him about cables stretching... or certain type of hubs, or anything that is overly fancy.. ...

(He didn't like my DT Swiss AM Forks FORKALL either... he basically said they were kuk.... I paid like R8k for them and felt like a box).

I love JB.

Edited by TheV

Even I know the answer of that... and I had the privilege to experience it twice... in real life... he built two bikes for me... I watched him work... drank his coffee... and learnt ALOT..... dont ask him about cables stretching... or certain type of hubs, or anything that is overly fancy.. ...

(He didn't like my DT Swiss AM Forks FORKALL either... he basically said they were kuk.... I paid like R8k for them and felt like a box).

I love JB.

Yeah, he does have a lot of knowledge...

Yeah, he does have a lot of knowledge...

:thumbdown: are you trying to say something about my DT Swiss AM Forks too???

C'mon, ill knock the capetown out of you...lolz

:w00t: This time it wasnt me! I would have recommended Ultegra or DA ;)

You are right, I have learned to my detriment that constantly applying lube is not a good idea because it gums up the cables, attracts dirt and makes them worse. That is why I recommended periodic cleaning with a degreaser do get rid of the old muck and to add a small amount of lube.

Maybe cables don't stretch in the true word, but something does make them longer or change shape or form or whatever you call it.

I think that cables do "stretch" in the sense that the weave compacts over time and there is some degree of elongation, there is also a general bedding in of all components of the gear system which needs a tweak after a few hundred kms or so, but this seems to be a more chronic problem, probably some dirt in the housing or a kink in the cable or housing somewhere. Buy yourself some housing and a cable cutter and sort it out yourself.

Sorry..... :blush: :blush:

I cant believe you publicly admitted to having Shimano on a Pinarello.... no wonder I could keep up with my little mountainbike!

I cant believe you publicly admitted to having Shimano on a Pinarello.... no wonder I could keep up with my little mountainbike!

I can't believe you publicly admit to 'cycling' with UvRooyen... I mean Shimano on a Pinarello?? Seriously?!!

Edited by jedimastersa