Mountain bikes 20 years from now?

Pappa Bear

Mountainbikes 20 years from now  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What new ideas / technology will MTBs have incorporated 20 years from now - what is the biggest change we will see?

• Electronic / Hydraulic shifting?
    • ABS brakes?
    • Adjustable stems (similer to a dropper seatpost)?
    • Pedal assist via an electic motor?
    • Automatic rebound & compression adjustment controlled via eg. a smartphone
    • Chain replaced by belt or a hydraulic drive?
    • "Clip in saddle" like the peddals?
    • Tires with adaptable tread?
    • Frame material (Titanium, Composite, Magnesium etc)?
    • More MTB disicpline specific bikes like Super-D, Slopestyle etc.?
    • Heads-up dispplay for your helmet / glasses?

Hi,

I would ike to get an idea from my fellow hubbers of where they think MTBs will be 20 years from now?

What will be the biggest change?

Over the last couple of years the biggest changes IMHO was geometry, suspension, pedals and brakes which leaves us with the drivetrain which haven't really changed in the last 30-40 years. We are still running chains with variations of the first derailers....

Multiple selections can be made!

Cheers!

Edited by Pappa Bear

I would like to see the clip-in-saddle HaHa!

herre ja ek ook, kannie dink hoe dit gan werk nie wat clip waar? :lol: :lol:

herre ja ek ook, kannie dink hoe dit gan werk nie wat clip waar? :lol: :lol:

die saddle sit dan op jou gat wanneer jy jou broek aan trek... :eek: :w00t:

Edited by Skaap

Hydraulic shifting perhaps? Seems like a more durable idea than electronic shifting on a mtb. There are already prototypes, but they are very expensive. There have also been designs of gearboxes, eliminating the traditional derailer. It could be successful if they get the weight down a bit.

Electronic suspension for sure, I think some are already experimenting with it.

I really want to see a better drivetrain solution. perhaps an integrated crank/ transmission system feeding a belt driven rear wheel something like a Rohloff but situated at the bottom bracket instead of the rear wheel. Electronic shifting is also inevitable as is motor assisted drive.

I really want to see a better drivetrain solution. perhaps an integrated crank/ transmission system feeding a belt driven rear wheel something like a Rohloff but situated at the bottom bracket instead of the rear wheel......

Listen to this dude all you engineer/inventor types and get to work! I'm standing ready with cash in hand!

Edited by DJR

Wireless electronic shifting and even braking for that matter. Battery technology is advancing pretty damn fast these days and in 20 years time will likely have made a quantum shift so that recharging will become something done every few weeks, maybe longer. Electronic far better and more reliable than hydraulic if it's all solid state and most certainly will weight a fraction of anything hydraulic.

Shifting via a gearbox located in the BB area of course. Guys like these - http://pinion.eu/ - are already making serious inroads into this area already, with reliability and longevity already there. Decreasing the size and weight - certainly achievable well within 20 years - and gone are those pesky derailleurs.

I'd say all the above more likely within 10 years even.

I think drive chain must be the next biggest innovation, wireless "in hub" & in BB gears powered hydraulically or electronically like amasendeinja suggests with buttons replacing shifters perhaps?

Also perhaps a total rethink on how we sit and pedal with positions shifting from horizontal to more vertical so you 'push back' on the pedals - picture how motorcycle drag racers sit on their special drag bikes, obviously with support for the chest. Would be tricky on single track though and would be more suited to road though.

self inflating tyres .....or at least remote inflating/deflating tyres so if u need to adjust tyre pressure on the fly u just hit the button for soft, medium or hard.

With all these possible advancements, will it not also increase the risk of failure out on the trail?