sani2c - newbie questions

-Gazza-

I wasn't even thinking of a sleeping bag! Would've had a couple of cold nights if it wasn't for this thread!

On that note, I see the temperature in Underberg has already dropped quite a bit. Preparing for a chilly start...

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-chamois towel (saves space and dries quickly)

Interesting advice there. Where to buy, and does it get you completely dry?

Edited by flymango

Interesting advice there. Where to buy, and does it get you completely dry?

Cape Union Mart, Outdoor Warehous, Sportsmans.

They dry you pretty well, but are quite small (even the large ones) so you can't wrap them around your waist.

Good thing is that they dry quickly afterwards so you don't have to use a wet towel the next time.

So how has everyones training gone?

Are you fit enough?

I'm a little nervous as my training has not gone to plan thanks to my knee playing up. When I was supposed to increase my riding, i had to decrease.

Is it possible for a weekend warrior to finish day 2?

Are you fit enough?

I'm a little nervous as my training has not gone to plan thanks to my knee playing up. When I was supposed to increase my riding, i had to decrease.

Weekend warrior will finish day 2, it will be tough for you though. My advice, if you are undertrained, dont get too carried away on day 1, save some legs for day 2's climb out of the valley. I reckon minimum 6 hours on the bike for the undertrained rider.

Are you fit enough?

Lost 5kg's since we last saw each other in December - 5kg's less than I'd been aiming for. My wife and I have been doing time in the saddle, but I fear not enough climbing training out of Melkbos. Mixture of LSD (mainly) and then LT sessions. Weekends we've been doing mast/Silvermine, Oak Valley Red X 2, and some others. Our mindset is we're there for a good time and therefore also a long time. Preparing ourselves mentally and physically over the next 5 weeks for a 5 + 8 + 4 approach (hours per day, taking it easy and enjoying the ride). A tough day in the saddle still beats a good day in the office!!

What is the cutoff time on day 2?

I think 9 hours or 17h30 (due to day light). Farmer Glen mentioned something to that effect at a Cape Town presentation.

I think 9 hours or 17h30 (due to day light). Farmer Glen mentioned something to that effect at a Cape Town presentation.

Ta, considering +- 35km is down...it leaves you plenty time to finish the rest :unsure:

Lost 5kg's since we last saw each other in December - 5kg's less than I'd been aiming for. My wife and I have been doing time in the saddle, but I fear not enough climbing training out of Melkbos. Mixture of LSD (mainly) and then LT sessions. Weekends we've been doing mast/Silvermine, Oak Valley Red X 2, and some others. Our mindset is we're there for a good time and therefore also a long time. Preparing ourselves mentally and physically over the next 5 weeks for a 5 + 8 + 4 approach (hours per day, taking it easy and enjoying the ride). A tough day in the saddle still beats a good day in the office!!

Well done, 5kgs is a good amount in a few months.

I managed to finish K2C in September in the heat and am fitter and strong now than I was then and day 2 is roughly the same amount of climbing so hopefully I'll be able to finish before the cut-off. If I don't, I won't be upset as they still allow you to ride the next day apparently.

Only 1 month and 1 day to go before we start out journey to Underberg. Nerves are starting to set in.

Ta, considering +- 35km is down...it leaves you plenty time to finish the rest :unsure:

Which means +- 1786m's of climbing over only 61km's...

Now you have just gone and spoiled it :clap: but ja it seems that way

Its a long day in anyone's book...3 things to do before sani...climb more, eat less, crap more...I should have it waxed

Or even worse, if you consider The Mast and Silvermine from the car park in Tokai is 43km and 1210m climbing, then you've got another 576m in 18km!! :eek: But I think it's all about the gradient and distance of the climbing km's, so not a real comparison.

Don't forget a pillow in your packing! I forgot mine last year and ended up sleeping on a shoe wrapped up in a towel.

How do the shuttles work with vehicles at the start etc?

I see on the website the route is not finalsed as yet. From all the scribbling above I am assuming we can very much go on what the route was last year, for it matters every year? Is there some maps around showing climbs and stuff?

Dont underestimate the climbing boys and girls. Some serious stuff there plus little stream crossings which are often off wade push on go type stops. Put in the hours.