sani2c - newbie questions

-Gazza-

I'm getting all excited (and a little worried) just reading all the replies. In terms of time in the saddle I think we're on par but we don't really have big hills in this part of the world so climbing is a bit of a concern...

What are the Gauteng based people doing for climbing training? I haven't been able to get to Breedts, so it's mostly been klapperkop+groenkloof and van gaalens.

Breedts up and over(to the shop) is plenty good for training...like I said in earlier posts some of my best fitness gains came from a couple of VG->Breedts(shop)->VG at a good pace

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You doing the race then?

I'm lucky if I get 5 hours a week to train!

Yip. But all 3 events are the same course same terrain so don't think it makes much difference. Still got to ride the distance. Last year I took some strain , probably too fast early on day 1 and battled to recover, so this year been training hard. Brilliant event though, you'll love it.

Do not only have 1 set. I tried with only one pair of shorts when I did the Herald mtb race on the Sat and the road race on the Sunday. Even with the use of a hair dryer, I struggled to get my shorts dry.

Maybe look at using a different set for day 2, that way you can use your branded kit on day 1, wash it and leave it to dry for day 3.

Ratty, that makes total sense, thanks! I was just thinking about a hair dryer as well minutes before I read your post.

That leads me to my next questions, is there electricity at the cycling village on each day to plug in a hair dryer, charge my cell phone each day etc?

............, is there electricity at the cycling village on each day to plug in a hair dryer...........?

Ooooooh Nooooo Not at a stage race! ;)

Ooooooh Nooooo Not at a stage race! ;)

Haha, the hair dryer is to dry my kit, not for my hair just by the way!

Rouxtjie, how far from VG to Breedts? Do you have a kml/enmondo/gpx file for it?

@Squier, its about 105km with +- 1200m of climbing...at a brisk pace you defnitely feel it coming home. I will have to look for a garmin file, haven't uploaded in a a while, but from VG's gate you take a right, travel about 2km until you get a bend in the road and follow the dirt road that goes to right. Follow that road until you hit a T-junction and turn right, travel another 2-3km until you get to bp garage at breedts, up and over breedts, come back the same way.

This being my first Sani I need to ask some dumb Q's from time to time. How is our baggage, i.e. bike bags and stuff transported from Underberg to Scottburgh? Do the organisers take it down?

This being my first Sani I need to ask some dumb Q's from time to time. How is our baggage, i.e. bike bags and stuff transported from Underberg to Scottburgh? Do the organisers take it down?

As far as I know, you get a 110L plastic container, and that is it...you need to fit a sleeping bag, pillow, riding kit, spares and supplements for the next 3 days in there. Everything else you need to organize yourself to get to Scottburgh...car, bike boxes....etc etc

What to carry with you:

- Camelback (optional, but handy for rain jacket and other warm clothes)

- In the camelback I usually have:

*small leatherman tool (knive and pliers are particularly handy, 1 per team)

*tyre plugs x 3 and plugging tool (get the thick motorbike types)

*small (50ml) bottle of stans (1 per team)

*a few small cable ties

*celphone

- Seat bag with:

*one slimed tube

*tyre levers (1 set per team)

*CO2 cartrages X 2

inflator (1 per team)

*tyre boot

*drop out

*multitool with chain breaker (1 per team)

*power link

Thanks for the list you are a champ

Very helpful.

When you say drop out are you referring to the derailleur hanger ?

NB Derailleur hanger!!!

Last year there was an oke with us in the room whos hanger got damaged during transport. He managed to get one 11 PM the night before a race and the oke lending it to him was very the moer in because he was a racing snake and didn't want to risk riding without.

This is what we usually take with, no problem for the black boxes: use it, dont use it...

Sani2C Kit

Sleeping Bag 1, Bicycle 1, Brake pad sets 2

Pillow 1, Helmet 1, Spare Chain 1

Towel 1, Shorts + Shirts 3, Cleats 1

head Torch 1, Wind Breaker 1, Cleat screws 2

Personal Toiletries 1, Gloves 2, powerlink 2

Drugs - imodium, panado 1, Shades 2 , Cable ties - packet 1

disprin etc, Socks 3, Duct tape 1

Sun Block 1, Lube wet 1

Camelbak 1, Lube dry 1

Shoes 1, Washing cloth 1,

Casual Clothes 1, 1st aid kit 1, cleangreen 1

Slops 1, Bike computer/HR monitor 1, Casette 1

Takkies 1, Multi tool with chainbreaker 1, Front Derallieur 1

Chainring bolts set, parafin 1

Bombs 4, Rear Derallieur 1

Tubes+patches+tyre levers 2, BB 1

Ear Plugs 1, riding pump 1, Spare Saddle 1

Race guide and Rules 1, deraileur hanger 2, Chain rings (set) 1

Matress cover 1, Mud Guard 1, spare Tyre 2

Zipplock bags (smelly kit) 5, Gels, carb mix, sweets plenty, Spokes 2

Antichaffe/chamois cream 1, Water bottle 1, Pedals 1

Cell phone 1, Super Glue 1, Spoke Spanner 1

Hat 1, Sense of humour 3, Forgiving partner 1

Lip Ice 1, derailleur cables (F&R) 2,

tubeless plug kit 1, pedal spanner 1

allen key set 1, beer 5

floor pump 1, tubeless sealent 2

torque wrench 1

Edited by Li Mu Bai

As far as I know, you get a 110L plastic container, and that is it...you need to fit a sleeping bag, pillow, riding kit, spares and supplements for the next 3 days in there. Everything else you need to organize yourself to get to Scottburgh...car, bike boxes....etc etc

There is usually a truck that goes from Underberg School to Scottburgh. You can chuck your bike bag/box and suitcase/togbag on there for collection at the finish.

When you get your black box on the afternoon you arrive, pack it and take the exess bagage to the truck. I think it leaves before the riders start the next day. Get get all your admin done so that that you can find your mates and drink beer.