sani2c - newbie questions

-Gazza-

The 2012 route is going to be pretty much the same as last year with some very minor changes. Day 2 will no longer have "lamb legs" or "Push of a climb" and there's no big climb before reaching Jolivet, but there will be a new halfway stop. Day 3 also sports some minor changes near the finish

Can't believe they are taking out the hills on Day 2. Still going to be a tough day in anyones books, unless your name is ChuckBurry. The hill at the end I can understand why they took it out although it was more the rocky downhill that was the problem for tired riders. Looks like I may get the beer tent quicker on Day 2 then last year which is a plus :-)

All in all it will still be an awesome ride as per usual.....

Now do you think I should let the GF know about the lack of climbs or keep her thinking they are still there hee hee

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2012 route is going to be pretty much the same as last year with some very minor changes. Day 2 will no longer have "lamb legs" or "Push of a climb" and there's no big climb before reaching Jolivet, but there will be a new halfway stop. Day 3 also sports some minor changes near the finish

Can't believe they are taking out the hills on Day 2. Still going to be a tough day in anyones books, unless your name is ChuckBurry. The hill at the end I can understand why they took it out although it was more the rocky downhill that was the problem for tired riders. Looks like I may get the beer tent quicker on Day 2 then last year which is a plus :-)

All in all it will still be an awesome ride as per usual.....

Now do you think I should let the GF know about the lack of climbs or keep her thinking they are still there hee hee

Don't tell her gordon, she will leave some energy for them only to find out they are not there....sweet

Can't believe they are taking out the hills on Day 2. Still going to be a tough day in anyones books,

you still have to get out the valley - so its not like they getting rid of the hills

What works for me on multiday rides. After finishing a stage head straight to the bikewash and clean my rig properly and check for damages. Next grab bag, get tent and head off to the showers early (less congestion) - I wash my outfit in the shower with shampoo, hang it up and its good to go the next day. Next stop is food, start eating early to get insulin levels up to aid tissue repair and muscle buildup. Next - take out a mat, put on pressure tights and settle down with mates and beer and stretch, stretch and stretch and talk lots of ***. Next - check and lube rig and make double sure everything is good to go for the next day - book bike in early if it needs work. Next - suppertime - eat and drink some more Next - make up Perpeteum, fill water bladder and put out clothes for next day. Next - zopiclone and lala land (I usually take along a bivvy bag as well - if the campsite is noisy, hot or crowded I just find a nice quiet spot under a tree somewhere and rather kip there. Other things that work for me- pre ride stretching aids recovery and helps to prevent injury. Start each day slowly and warm up properly before giving it horns. On long days only give it horns (if you still can) when you are 3/4 through the days ride. Drink when thirsty, take in fuel every hour. If there is lots of hectic single track climbing, a small section of foam taped to the top tube can save your knees from critical small bangs that can easily flare up into full blown bursitis as the days go by

I go for the food first. You should eat within 30min of finishing.

I go for the food first. You should eat within 30min of finishing.

Yea recovery is first priority, recovery shake as I get off the bike....wash bike, wash myself, then solids(must be within 60 minutes after getting off the bike). Hydrol sachet with lunch...compressions on....done!

I was only able to get one branded kit this year for me and my partner and I was wondering if anyone has washed their kit after each day in previous years or on other stage races and has it dried in time? I know it isn't advisable, but would it dry in time, especially the bib shorts? It also depends if it rains I guess. Any advice apart from getting three sets of clothing?

I would not wash and hope for them to dry by the next day. That has disaster written all over it.

Thank goodness for this thread! Won an entry to the Adventure last week! Think I'll be fine fitness wise, but logistically I haven't a clue! Thanks for the good advice so far!

I was only able to get one branded kit this year for me and my partner and I was wondering if anyone has washed their kit after each day in previous years or on other stage races and has it dried in time? I know it isn't advisable, but would it dry in time, especially the bib shorts? It also depends if it rains I guess. Any advice apart from getting three sets of clothing?

Do not only have 1 set. I tried with only one pair of shorts when I did the Herald mtb race on the Sat and the road race on the Sunday. Even with the use of a hair dryer, I struggled to get my shorts dry.

Maybe look at using a different set for day 2, that way you can use your branded kit on day 1, wash it and leave it to dry for day 3.

it's just a wee climb out the valley :whistling: I actually find the water crossings on Day 2 the worst part. They just make you stop start. Just remember it is 5 in total......

So now that they have taken the climb away after the 2nd stop on day we are not going to have chicken burgers churning in our bellies as we try to tackle that climb. It was always an interesting climb that after a stop.....

Yeah I think I will leave her in the dark about the lack of hills on day 2 so she keeps the training up... :clap: So far well on track

it's just a wee climb out the valley :whistling: I actually find the water crossings on Day 2 the worst part. They just make you stop start. Just remember it is 5 in total......

So now that they have taken the climb away after the 2nd stop on day we are not going to have chicken burgers churning in our bellies as we try to tackle that climb. It was always an interesting climb that after a stop.....

Yeah I think I will leave her in the dark about the lack of hills on day 2 so she keeps the training up... :clap: So far well on track

Any excuse to stop, start, is great for me :-) Looking forward to the water crossings :-)

Question is, with only a month to go, can I get any fitter or will I just do harm....

Any excuse to stop, start, is great for me :-) Looking forward to the water crossings :-)

Question is, with only a month to go, can I get any fitter or will I just do harm....

i plan to do another 400 odd k's in the next month - cant see it doing any harm

Edited by Stretch

i plan to do another 400 odd k's in the next month - cant see it doing any harm

That is relative to how fit you already are and the type of riding. How much do you normally do in a month is the question?