Is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Skylark

Nope , going to the pub for a beer now , maybe somebody there wanna give me the finger .

Knocking off early so me too, the beer not the finger.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok no for sure , I'll put the most amazing Kevlar supa dupa helmet on your head and we can use you for car-cyclist crash testing . Your head and everything else will be an even match for the car.

I'm sure you'll be just fine :whistling:

No way. You've convinced me. I'm riding home today on the pavement.

Personal opinion is that most don't ride on the pavement as they don't have the skills to hop on and off them..... :whistling:

Great, lets rev it up a notch :thumbup:

I threw a finger at a car which hooted at me for doing a u turn in front of him while riding my bicycle in Impala Park...there near Jan Smuts Airport and wild waters, yes it was way back when... I was still in high school and ja high school laatjies still rode bicyles to the cafe to go play pinball buy bread and milk.... Anyway turns out the driver was the local speedkop and flip was he upset off with me, i rode away taking a short cut across the veld and he got out his car and tried to cut me off by running across the veld...luckily my legs were strong from skateboarding and I managed to just out sprint him, hell he was only vloeking me while i retaliated by saying he's not allowed to swear at kids while in uniform....Unfortunatelly my buddy who was riding with me did not skateboard and could not outsprint the enraged speedkop... he got dragged back to the speedkops car and was forced to take him (the speedkop) to my house.... Boy did my dad give me klap second to none.

So ja true story but what where we discussing again....

I lived on Caravelle road for about a year.

I lived on Caravelle road for about a year.

Ok interesting when was that? We lived in Witkoppie ridge at the time +/- 1979 / 80 ... the speedkop incident happened on Allouette rd going down towards the cafe on Beechcraft next to the Total garage

Ok interesting when was that? We lived in Witkoppie ridge at the time +/- 1979 / 80 ... the speedkop incident happened on Allouette rd going down towards the cafe on Beechcraft next to the Total garage

Much later, around 2001...

I threw a finger at a car which hooted at me for doing a u turn in front of him while riding my bicycle in Impala Park...there near Jan Smuts Airport and wild waters, yes it was way back when... I was still in high school and ja high school laatjies still rode bicyles to the cafe to go play pinball buy bread and milk.... Anyway turns out the driver was the local speedkop and flip was he upset off with me, i rode away taking a short cut across the veld and he got out his car and tried to cut me off by running across the veld...luckily my legs were strong from skateboarding and I managed to just out sprint him, hell he was only vloeking me while i retaliated by saying he's not allowed to swear at kids while in uniform....Unfortunatelly my buddy who was riding with me did not skateboard and could not outsprint the enraged speedkop... he got dragged back to the speedkops car and was forced to take him (the speedkop) to my house.... Boy did my dad give me klap second to none.

That is a great story!

I have learnt that the hard way as well - sometimes you don't know who is a cop or not if they are in unmarked vehicles .

Cops do not take the finger lying down.

Jislaaik they got cross....

Actually I must take this as a remember to not use the finger , its just not worth it.

But damn do we have some reckless , inconsiderate chance taking drivers in south africa.

I think giving the finger is a coping mechanism to handle the brain overload of blatant and ridiculous driving.

Such as a taxi yesterday driving through a red robot in a major intersection after it had gone green for some time for the other guys to go.....

The driver was just casually going on his way..

Ahhh well

That is a great story!

I have learnt that the hard way as well - sometimes you don't know who is a cop or not if they are in unmarked vehicles .

Cops do not take the finger lying down.

Jislaaik they got cross....

Actually I must take this as a remember to not use the finger , its just not worth it.

But damn do we have some reckless , inconsiderate chance taking drivers in south africa.

I think giving the finger is a coping mechanism to handle the brain overload of blatant and ridiculous driving.

Such as a taxi yesterday driving through a red robot in a major intersection after it had gone green for some time for the other guys to go.....

The driver was just casually going on his way..

Ahhh well

Ja overall its probably not worth it, you just never know what frame of mind the recpient is in or what he / she is capable of doing as a result

Perhaps somene can tell / show us how to do a WTF sign by hand, less offensive than a zap or mirrel finger ?

Perhaps somene can tell / show us how to do a WTF sign by hand, less offensive than a zap or mirrel finger ?

The WTF sign is easy, just shake your head repeatedly and roll your eyes while looking in the person's direction?

EDIT : Although in truth that is more akin to "you are a bloody idiot but I'm sure you don't even know it"

Edited by Clint_ZA

EDIT : Although in truth that is more akin to "you are a bloody idiot but I'm sure you don't even know it"

Three way stop around the corner from my house. Few days ago. I'm in my car. I stop, this other car approaches, and slows, so I go, he speeds up and doesn't stop. I did your gesture, the two men in the car start showing me the finger and shaking fists at me. So I didn't turn in at my house, and now they're following me. My security company turns in so I flag him down. The duo meekly carry on and I get an escourt home.

Three way stop around the corner from my house. Few days ago. I'm in my car. I stop, this other car approaches, and slows, so I go, he speeds up and doesn't stop. I did your gesture, the two men in the car start showing me the finger and shaking fists at me. So I didn't turn in at my house, and now they're following me. My security company turns in so I flag him down. The duo meekly carry on and I get an escourt home.

Pussy