OFFICIAL MODDERFONTEIN MTB TRAIL ANNOUNCEMENT

RickyTomCCMA

Make no mistake i like this place as its close to home , BUT after ridding Thaba this weekend i realise they have alot to learn about trail prep ! im going to sugest to them they go check it out and get some tips from Wendell as his trails are top class.

Agreed, Modderfontein is nice for my wife.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the ride (red) for the 2nd time. This time on the SS bike need to change the gearing to be harder as I was doing a lot of high cadence. Really enjoy the route (little rough for a hardtail but I am not going to moan). Still coughing dust though...

I see there is more route markers from the first time I rode which is great. My only complaint (not that I have fallen there but the GF almost went off the wrong side the first time we did it) is on the Red route after twisty single track in the trees then you do the longish hill climb along the fence then down and branch off right onto the Red route. Ove a little sort of dam wall down the drop off then you go into an eroded gully. In there is a Green bridge/drop off. It comes as a bit of a supprise and if your going a bit too fast and on the right hand side you will miss the green bridge/drop off. May be a marker there would help. The GF wants to ride it but you tend to forget (only ridden twice) what comes up and that drop off is quite a supprise.. Just think it would help the people that are sitting on the fence of their technical abilities a bit.

Did the route again this sunday, and still I'm unable to complete that technical section without uncleating :cursing:

I get through most of it no problem, but the last 2 'exits' are just hectic. The second last one is really steep, and I actually came off trying to carry enough speed to get me up, gonna be a while before I stop running out of skill there. The final exit is a bit easier, and I'll hopefully be able to handle that one next time.

I really enjoy that long single track downhill after that, can pick up quite a bit of speed there :clap:

That new technical single track is quite cool, I've only tried it once so far, and couldn't make it all the way without uncleating. But I will do it, I will, I will.

Was my 2nd ride through that area... and had to uncleat in 3 areas... goals have been set :thumbup:

Is this the very tight bendy single track through the smallish bunch of trees that you are talking about?

If so, we went through there yesterday for the first time, it is very cool but quite tricky for noobs like us, there were four of us riding yesterday, two of us made it through ahead of the other guys and I must say, it was quite amusing listening to the other two trying to make their way through, quite a few "F" bombs were being dropped as they tackled it... :D

Hey Clay,

The new section is after those 2 tight tree sections... Although those 2 sections are loads of fun :clap: trying to keep your bike going at a slow pace and tight corners.

The steep drop off and climb section is after that, once you have done the long climb along the fence and then the downhill section towards the small dam. Just before the bottom right hand turn there is a Red arrow to the right which takes you through the the drops and climbs :thumbup:

It will get your legs working nicely

Will give this a try on the weekend now that I know where I should be looking. Sounds like it could be interesting.

Did the route again this sunday, and still I'm unable to complete that technical section without uncleating :cursing:

I get through most of it no problem, but the last 2 'exits' are just hectic. The second last one is really steep, and I actually came off trying to carry enough speed to get me up, gonna be a while before I stop running out of skill there. The final exit is a bit easier, and I'll hopefully be able to handle that one next time.

I really enjoy that long single track downhill after that, can pick up quite a bit of speed there :clap:

Must be new, as I did not come across any sections like this...must go again

Dude we talking about the same place ?

where are these tech section you unclipping on ?

i have ridden there like a gizzilion times .......... let me know what im missing please

i have ridden there like a gizzilion times .......... let me know what im missing please

Now you gone and spoilt it. I was hoping there were some new good sections to go and ride.

Now you gone and spoilt it. I was hoping there were some new good sections to go and ride.

Maybe there are still , we just missing them .................

after long tedious uphill on dirt road, as you descend before a right hand turn you will see red arrows, follow them , you go around the little pond and follow single track up to a small 'bmx' section with a few bumps and dips.

Agreed, Modderfontein is nice for my wife.

you need to keep in mind this place has been open for a short while , trails take time to mature

Maybe there are still , we just missing them .................

was there again on Saturday, maybe crossing the 2 bridges is considered technical :ph34r:

after long tedious uphill on dirt road, as you descend before a right hand turn you will see red arrows, follow them , you go around the little pond and follow single track up to a small 'bmx' section with a few bumps and dips.

ok that section i know .

Spurs you talking about the same one ?

ok that section i know .

thats the only place one would possible need to unclip. unless you need a wee:)

ok that section i know .

Yes a bit of the way down the jeep track next to the fence, there is a red arrow to turn right going onto some single track, you then cycle around the pond, then across small bridges, then up some single track, then to this section section I speak of.

I suppose you can't refer to most of it as technical , it's just the last 2 exits from the ditch which get me.

Am I a noob for even referring to this as technical?

Edited by Spurs

Hallo Guys,

I would like to go ride at modderfontein this afternoon for the first time. Anyone know if its open, or have a contact number and gps coordinates? Please help me out.

Regards