Dumbass mountain bikers!!!!!

Cruz Addict

3 and half actually, while the rants and raves about how i need to up my game , ride faster, be more patient etc are typical of the type of answers given by the "mature" audience we have here on the hub, you all miss the point, i was not slating people for being slow, nor was i stating that they cannot learn i was making a statement about the fact that they cannot as mr single track pointed out, ride over a 5c coin, i do not expect people to be able to do a downhill track in their fist or even 100th race but a 2 ft rise on the path does not constitute a mountain nor does it make sense that when skills run out these people stop in the middle of the track and stop the rest of us, i too run out of skill, more often than i would like to admit but when i do i get the F*** out of the way so more competent riders can pass without having to stop, and that is my point in it entirety. :cursing:

I found in life my 5c coin is the bergie's R50 note...

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Batch Starts please,

I have to agree with the OP to a degree, if you run out of tallent, please walk off the line.

agree but using dumbass in your title was always going to get the OP a revving. If i have a more technical rider behind me i find a place to let them overtake, and i would expect the same courtesy. The OP could have approached this rant a little better without riling people up

was the issue not too many people arriving at the same place at the same time rather then a skill problem? I remember doing a race and everyone had to get off at a rocky patch because one dude fell and created that bottle neck, if there weren't so many people one could have slipped passed easily, I think organizers should take this sort of thing into consideration. Its almost like the Argus, can we not create a system like the comrades or two Oceans where one has to qualify to do certain races?

I had some slow newbie chick crap all over me yesterday because I said sorry when I passed. In Afrikaans she said:" You are supposed to say TREK. Everyone says TREK!"

Edited by facmp

If you don't like bottle necks then don't do large events. Rather join a club that rides trails. There you will probably find guys who you can learn from too.

A few people take naturally to mtbing and do most things correctly but most need instruction. How many novices are actually ever get assisted by experienced riders into becoming better technically? If every good rider passed down some skills to a couple of newbies, the trails and races would be a better place. We don't just hand the car keys to a teenager and hope they will learn to drive it through experience...

I often see the following scenario in my skillz clinics. Guy has been riding for some time, he is fit and experienced. He thinks he's okay when the trail gets a bit gnarly but technically he still wallows around in beginnerdom. Somewhere down the line the wife becomes interested in spending more time with him by cycling or he convinces her to try mtbing. Either way, in order to get her up to speed she comes to me to learn some bike handling skills. After a handful of lessons I start seeing big smiles and hearing about how she is now showing him a thing or two. It is funny though that I hardly ever see any males wanting to learn more. When I do get them, most don't take instruction well - preferring to do things their own way. That's because when you keep on repeating the same mistakes it becomes a bad habit.

Watching people on local trails or at races, it is apparent that most riders never learn enough to move them from beginner to even an intermediate level. It is a pity because it is not particularly difficult to progress.

Dude you seriously need a wake up call in life. Just because you can ride over all the stuff doesn't mean that others can, just because you deem it easy doesn't mean that it is for someone else.

They caused a bottle neck, so what? Its about getting out there and enjoying it. If you want to race for time, well then start upping your own game and ensure that your times improve and worm your way to the start of the pack, the choice is yours.

A lot of the races are beginners or are dirt roadies and guess what we have ZERO skills and the only way we are going to get them is by entering the races and trying.

Like Scotty, the more you swear, scream or shout at me, the slower I go. If you are that awesome you will find a way passed me.

What I have realised this weekend, its not about whether you ride a roadie, or a mountain biker or a dirt roadie, how you ride a bike and compete in a race, is how you are as a person, and some people are just assholes.

or you will take the time and queue early to ensure yourself a place closer to the start line. I agree though that batch starts with are a good idea and perhaps grouping these according to estimated average speed ( I am sure that most riders should have an idea of their average ride speeds ! )I am sure many riders would be happy to slot in where they think they may belong in the group. There will always be slower / less technically proficient riders and it is ridiculous to expect them all to get out of your way as you shout at them. I much prefer it if they at least focus on what they are doing rather than skrikking themselves into the nearest rut/tree, at least if they hold their line you can choose a suitable place to pass without having to second guess where they (and you) will land! Also. please can they just reiterate at the start of each race that if you pull over or stop, do so on the left of the trail as far as possible or at least shout out which side you want the faster rider to pass if you do stop ....." go right / left !" is sufficient. Thanks.

I had some slow newbie chick crap all over me yesterday because I said sorry when I passed. In Afrikaans she said:" You are supposed to say TREK. Everyone says TREK!"

Double Yoo Tee Efff?

That being said I now have to rant about stupid slow idiots that buy a mountain bike and get off at the slightest little technical section or mud, it's a frikken mountain bike you tjops it's meant to get dirty and be ridden over the bump not walked!!!!!!!

This toy throwing session is thanks in no small part to all the weekend not-so-warriors that enter races to walk through the frikken south african bush rather than ride as "it's to technical and dirty". at the risk of being taken to pieces piss off and buy a road bike!!!

I watched many of the pro men walk up and down some technical areas yesterday at the world cup.......i think you need to teach them how to ride.

I hear you Mr. Crackberry...

I often have the issue of slow riders when I go dirt jumping with Peach, Super_mil and MissionS. They just jump soo slow. I have found 2 possible solutions... opt for an A batch start, or simply jump over them.

What I have realised this weekend, its not about whether you ride a roadie, or a mountain biker or a dirt roadie, how you ride a bike and compete in a race, is how you are as a person, and some people are just assholes.

And sadly we encounter these people on the road as well - no respect for fellow citizens anymore.

For a "Crazy Child" that is very well said! I had more than a mouthful to say (in a good way) to those laaities who push their way past while we were all waiting in line at the bottle-necks. One responded to my "waarheen is jy so haastig oppad boetie?" With a "jammer oom ek is net haastig vandag". It was quite funny at the time

I hear you Mr. Crackberry...

I often have the issue of slow riders when I go dirt jumping with Peach, Super_mil and MissionS. They just jump soo slow. I have found 2 possible solutions... opt for an A batch start, or simply jump over them.

Or option 3...

When you and Chris are building jumps again, make another jump line to the one side with smaller, flatter, easier gaps and even some table tops.

....and here I thought that the MTB fraternity were this "kumbaya, shoowah like everything is wonderfull with the world and roadies are full of **** crowd" but there seems to be trouble in dirttopia?? I still believe if you take 2 wheels off road make sure its a 2 stroke!