Dumbass mountain bikers!!!!!

Cruz Addict

Yes it actually is, ever done a stage race? ever sat in a race briefing? They explain the rules the signage, etc, And they do this .......

Sorry for cutting all your words.

You raise some valid point, however the problem lies with the individuals.

They don't understand and have never been taught proper trail etiquette, assuming they have been taught all this and made aware of what is to be expected, do we really now believe that they are going to actually care ?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't understand and have never been taught proper trail etiquette, assuming they have been taught all this and made aware of what is to be expected, do we really now believe that they are going to actually care ?

It's the same with road riders.

Is it just me or do you chaps professing this see the irony of the 'improve your seeding' argument?? (I have no issue with my seeding thanks) If you want to race you must go to the front, but you can't do this without getting better times, which ironically you need to do through the midpack or back of the field.

Wouldn't it just be far quicker, easier and more enjoyable to have the walking brigade do this on the side of the course?????

(Preferably without trying to put their mini pump through anyone's wheel, thanks rouxtjie. That is a new kind of special though dude!)

Edited by Tubehunter

Is it just me or do you chaps professing this see the irony of the 'improve your seeding' argument?? (I have no issue with my seeding thanks) If you want to race you must go to the front, but you can't do this without getting better times, which ironically you need to do through the midpack or back of the field.

Wouldn't it just be far quicker, easier and more enjoyable to have the walking brigade do this on the side of the course?????

(Preferably without trying to put their mini pump through anyone's wheel, thanks rouxtjie. That is a new kind of special though dude!)

Just out of interest I went back to my workout log in sporttracks to see what was the actual time lost in the worst congestion I have experienced in a race. Nissan series Down and Dirty 2011. I lost 1:02....wouldn't have made any difference to my current seeding.

Here is what I have problem with tubehunter, eye of the tiger individuals that get to congestion points where everyone waits their turn to pass, shouting "track" "track"....Do you really think we got off our bikes because we couldn't ride the bottleneck.....are you wearing a freedom challenge blankie as a cape that gives you the right to make us part like the red sea. Nee ouboet...jy het drie kanse niks, minder en tokol....vat n minipump

PS no sweat on the minipump...you don't have to return it.

The whole "track please" thing is the wrong way to approach the situation imho. You need to wait until there is a suitable place to pass someone, then loudly say "Passing right" or "Passing left", then go for it and say "thanks" as you are passing the guy.

There will be a spot at some stage on the singletrack where the track widens and an opportunity presents itself to pass and the rider that's behind needs to take this opportunity. Its not up to the guy in front to make way for everyone that wants to pass, as long as he is on the bike riding. A request can be made if it is a low speed situation but then its up to the rider in front whether it is safe and convenient for him/her to make way. In all cases the rider that's behind takes responsibility.

Of course if someone is not riding and walking the course then this must be done off the main line and well out of the way of the guys that wants to ride. With bottlenecks unfortunately you just have to wait your turn and this is one of the main reasons why I dont do much racing anymore.

Its also ironic that in my experience, the top dogs that have the most to lose in congestion and slow riders are the most chilled about it....case and point three towers stage race where some of the top 3 teams came past me and my partner....didn't shout track like a bliksemse banshee just a simple passing left when it was safe.

That is how its done.

The whole "track please" thing is the wrong way to approach the situation imho. You need to wait until there is a suitable place to pass someone, then loudly say "Passing right" or "Passing left", then go for it and say "thanks" as you are passing the guy.

There will be a spot at some stage on the singletrack where the track widens and an opportunity presents itself to pass and the rider that's behind needs to take this opportunity. Its not up to the guy in front to make way for everyone that wants to pass, as long as he is on the bike riding. A request can be made if it is a low speed situation but then its up to the rider in front whether it is safe and convenient for him/her to make way. In all cases the rider that's behind takes responsibility.

Of course if someone is not riding and walking the course then this must be done off the main line and well out of the way of the guys that wants to ride. With bottlenecks unfortunately you just have to wait your turn and this is one of the main reasons why I dont do much racing anymore.

Marius go pour yourself a whisky, you deserve it. :thumbup:

Take control of the situation, much better and safer...same with getting a better seeding, take control by getting a better seeding instead of relying on the charity of people in front of you. Was it florian vogel that started 50+ on the grid in this last weekend WC and came in 6th...Thank goodness he managed to get through the newb's :whistling:

And after all the bebate Shimano still gone the extra mile to spend 5million on product development to create a shoe with a recess to walk easier!

The point of saying "track please" is to let the person know you're there and would like to pass when it's safe to do so. Then when passing indicate which side.

All it is, is some common decency and sense from both riders.

I remember doing the Hill2hill (40km) a few years ago and getting told by the lead motorbike that the leaders (Burry Stander and Kevin Evans) were coming through. I kept a look out and moved off the track when they approached. No problem. The poor dude in front of me however didn't move. Burry was polite and just spoke louder. Kevin got very angry and threw out a few choice words. Both ended up going off track and riding around the dude. Turns out the unsuspecting cyclist was deaf! Two people, two different reactions. You have the choice.

Yeah thats why i say educated them then you end up with the pricks being pricks and the uneducated knowing how to react and respond. It will also go a long way to making the sport safer.

In all riding situations the sensible approach has been for the rider at the back to make his way past the RIDER in front. No one here has issue with this. The issue is bottlenecks caused purely because riders are climbing off and walking something that could be ridden, NOT BECAUSE there are 10 people trying to fit into a 2 people space that has suddenly come up. It's those stretches of single track where the hiker prefers to simply walk on the line, cos it's less muddy, firmer or simply just floats his boat knowing he paid his entry fee to behave however he wants, holding up everyone behind him! The OPs post was aimed at these people. He chose to label them dumbass.

Shot for the min pump. Schweeet, needed a spare....

I remember doing the Hill2hill (40km) a few years ago and getting told by the lead motorbike that the leaders (Burry Stander and Kevin Evans) were coming through. I kept a look out and moved off the track when they approached. No problem. The poor dude in front of me however didn't move. Burry was polite and just spoke louder. Kevin got very angry and threw out a few choice words. Both ended up going off track and riding around the dude. Turns out the unsuspecting cyclist was deaf! Two people, two different reactions. You have the choice.

Actually can relate to that.

Did a night event last year, team format of two. We were riding as a mixed team, Suzie and I came up behind two other riders on the last lap.

We were winning our cat and the course was made up of a lot of singletrack, we really politely asked for track and opportunity after opportunity for passing went by with mounting frustration and we had to go off route to pass.

One dude's front wheel connected with my back wheel, but nothing major. It then though when I heard him talk (sort of) that I realised that both of them were deaf.

Can't describe how absolutely *** I felt, like the lowest of the low. I mean how were we to know, but still. :blush: :blush:

At the finish, apoligesed profusely but both okes took it in their stride and we all had beers and hugs, brosef hugs mind you.

Its also ironic that in my experience, the top dogs that have the most to lose in congestion and slow riders are the most chilled about it....case and point three towers stage race where some of the top 3 teams came past me and my partner....didn't shout track like a bliksemse banshee just a simple passing left when it was safe.

That is how its done.

That is my response to "wannebies" who scream and demand track. "The pros went passed me without any fuss and still thanked me for not getting in their way"

What I've learnt from this thread, is that race organisers need to make deaf riders wear specially marked bibs or helmut covers or something to make them stand out in a crowd.