Why cyclists get killed....

Stuart Queripel

Check out this

caught on my Smarty In Car DashCamera of a Moroon riding his bike at night with no reflective gear or lights...

post-25461-0-83570300-1335115572.png

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well it wont be long till nature runs its course with that cyclist.

I just feel sorry for the poor motorist that hits this moron

Looks like you could see him just fine. Don't be so judgemental.

I agree.

What's the problem exactly?

I agree.

And i agree with you agreeing with him.

I agree.

you ony see him right at the last second - and at night your focus is more on the oncoming traffic - added to the fact that a lot of people battle with oncoming traffic at night and tend to move away from them - and hence closer to the non reflected driver

Stu, ignore the above couple of posts. The guy in your clip is a proper tjop.

Especially at this time of year I have to be really carefull on my early morning drive to work because it is almost dark and I see several cyclists every morning without lights. With car headlights blinding you and against the sunrise they often are near invisible, even with flashing lights (some of which are totally inadequite). It is no use telling them that they are in danger because it only earns me some abuse.

I could add, good chance that we can see him, good car, good lights, but then we also know how many "not so good cars" are out there, add that maybe to a oncoming car with brights and this guy is going to end as a wet spot on the tar.

always work from the point that murphy is around, plan for the idiots, not for the guy thats awake, got good lights and that watching out for you.

(mostly why even though I want to do some road work for fitness/distance not doing it yet, need a group to ride with, at my level/bit better that makes us all very visible).

G

you ony see him right at the last second - and at night your focus is more on the oncoming traffic - added to the fact that a lot of people battle with oncoming traffic at night and tend to move away from them - and hence closer to the non reflected driver

So, OP, did you stop and attempt to educate the rider?

My biggest problem with this thread is the need to post this and call the guy names. If you really feel strongly about it, and you didn't at least try and talk to the guy, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

While you are throwing stones.... Ready to catch a few as well?

Your video, indicating speed and location (66km/h & :

post-28936-0-60020200-1335120457.jpg

From the video, and this aerial photo, the area seems pretty residential. Surely the speed limit is 40, or at a stretch 60km/h?

post-28936-0-13828600-1335120832.jpg

Riding without lights is stupid, cannot understand those that try to defend the dumb cyclist. You do things like that yourself I suppose.

To the intrepid camera man dont break the law

While you are throwing stones.... Ready to catch a few as well?

Your video, indicating speed and location (66km/h & :

post-28936-0-60020200-1335120457.jpg

From the video, and this aerial photo, the area seems pretty residential. Surely the speed limit is 40, or at a stretch 60km/h?

Greyskull - you nitpicking now. 66 in a 60km zone is "technically" over the limit - but as far as i am concerned a responsible speed. 40km/h zones? apart from perhaps around schools I cannot off the top of my head name one 40km/h zone where i live (granted i dont know jhb or wherever the video was taken)

Greyskull - you nitpicking now. 66 in a 60km zone is "technically" over the limit - but as far as i am concerned a responsible speed. 40km/h zones? apart from perhaps around schools I cannot off the top of my head name one 40km/h zone where i live (granted i dont know jhb or wherever the video was taken)

No really nitpicking... In the rest of the world, if the speed limit is 60, or 100km/h, that is the limit. People will generally drive slower than that to make sure they do not go over the limit. None of the 10% leniency nonsense we have here. So, 66 in a 60 zone is idiotic, to borrow from the video posted.