Cannot shift onto big ring

dalem44

I am having a serious problem, I cannot shift into my big ring! I have tried all the possible adjustments and limit screws but it just won't shift. It used to work but all of a sudden it doesn't even look like it will reach the big ring. What can I do to check if everything is right?

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having a serious problem, I cannot shift into my big ring! I have tried all the possible adjustments and limit screws but it just won't shift. It used to work but all of a sudden it doesn't even look like it will reach the big ring. What can I do to check if everything is right?

Thanks

I think it might be a mental problem. To shift into big ring, you have to really WANT to shift into big ring. See a sports psychologist. :whistling:

Edited by G-Unit

I think it might be a mental problem. To shift into big ring, you have to really WANT to shift into big ring. See a sports psychologist. :whistling:

What a silly, nonsensical reply. If you do not have anything positive / constructive / helpfull to say, rather not reply at all.

This is not the way to get your post count up, it will only flag you as a troll.

how old is your chain and front cassette?

It could also be the front derraileur that is worn.

Thanks for the responses.

Its the front derailleur and its pretty new so I don't think that is the problem. It almost seems that it wont stretch out far enough to move the chain onto the big ring. The chain doesn't even touch the big ring

Sounds like cable slack. Release all tension on the cable, in other words go to the shifters lowest gear setting, then loosen off all the limiting screws, tighten the cable and see what happens. If it shifts, then reset limiting screws. If not, sounds like a new FD is needed, but visit the LBS first and ask!!

PS, remeber limiting screws work in different directions, so loosen them off means take them to the extreme limit, where they have no influence!

Edited by heyyou

What a silly, nonsensical reply. If you do not have anything positive / constructive / helpfull to say, rather not reply at all.

This is not the way to get your post count up, it will only flag you as a troll.

:eek:

Thanks for the responses.

Its the front derailleur and its pretty new so I don't think that is the problem. It almost seems that it wont stretch out far enough to move the chain onto the big ring. The chain doesn't even touch the big ring

Had the same. just couldn't get it right. took it to Cycle Tech here in Midrand and boom shifts like a dream now

their are also alot of videos on you tube that can guide you. but it does sound like cable slack,the cables do tend to stretch a bit.

I had something like this a while back with a Shimano XT front derailleur. I could not figure out why it suddenly got stuck in the small ring position while riding. On closer inspection I discovered a small pebble of about 5 mm diameter that got stuck in the mechanism and jammed it. I suppose that is too obvious a reason but I hope you figure it out.

Edited by DJR

Wow it seems like no-one has ever adjusted their fd. Remove the cable from the fd, then see if you can shift it by hand to the correct position. If you cant do it by hand look for obstructions and check that your mount hasn't moved. If it does move to the correct position you then need to set the cable tension and limit screws, check the parktool website for step by step instructions.

Sorry - a bit of long weekend silliness. That wasn't helpful at all.