Cannot shift onto big ring

dalem44

What a silly, nonsensical reply. If you do not have anything positive / constructive / helpfull to say, rather not reply at all.

This is not the way to get your post count up, it will only flag you as a troll.

i quite enjoyed the comment myself. we are here to also have a laugh

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry - a bit of long weekend silliness. That wasn't helpful at all.

All good. It just riles me when someone asks an honest question, and he gets a reply like yours. You are not the only one guilty of it. It is a trend that is taking over here on thehub.

I don't mind so much if posters drift off the subject AFTER the OP has been helped, but for it to happen within a few posts is just not on.

Edited by Wannabe

Wow it seems like no-one has ever adjusted their fd. Remove the cable from the fd, then see if you can shift it by hand to the correct position. If you cant do it by hand look for obstructions and check that your mount hasn't moved. If it does move to the correct position you then need to set the cable tension and limit screws, check the parktool website for step by step instructions.

Mmmmm I guess you would also have to remove the chain to 'see if you can shift it by hand to the correct position' or is just me that has that problem?

I don't mind so much if posters drift off the subject AFTER the OP has been helped,

fair point

I will take the cable off and then check for obstructions and movement.

When connecting the cable back on, what position should the derailleur be in and what tension should be on the cable?

Thanks for all the responses

Mmmmm I guess you would also have to remove the chain to 'see if you can shift it by hand to the correct position' or is just me that has that problem?

:clap:

All good. It just riles me when someone asks an honest question, and he gets a reply like yours. You are not the only one guilty of it. It is a trend that is taking over here on thehub.

I don't mind so much if posters drift off the subject AFTER the OP has been helped, but for it to happen within a few posts is just not on.

Dude why do you tell people what to do? This is an open forum and if someone wants to have a laugh then so be it. I thought it was funny. You go round telling people what to do and what the forum rules are. Really. Spend more time at your job and less time running the hub.

I had the same problem in a recent race - discovered my 32GI had leaked and stickied up the cable under the BB. Ridiculously simple.

Quick wash and spray of Q20 and she's back to magic.

When the FD cable is at it slackest in the small ring. Grab the cable coming down the seat tube and pull on it. Your FD should move outwards and it will show you if your derailleur movement is smooth or obstructed.

Nine times out of ten, your cable is a bit stretched so you just have to tension it a bit more.

there is an Afrikaans sying "elke vlieg op sy dr0l"... meaning , if you don't know the mechanics of a bicycle, take it to the people that knows, they're at your LBS!

You might find it's something as ultra-simple as dirt in the cable guides under the BB and a good wash / lube will have it running smoothly. If it were cable slack you'd be able to see that immediately. Taking off the cables/re-routing them and playing with your derailleur settings is great if you know what you are doing. Otherwise, take it to your LBS, a mechanic there could probably get it right in minutes and not charge you the earth.

i quite enjoyed the comment myself. we are here to also have a laugh

I agree, it was funny. Lets not have a sterile enviroment.

Back to the OPs question, how do you get the correct cable tension, what ring should the derailleur be in when connecting the cable back up?

When the FD cable is at it slackest in the small ring. Grab the cable coming down the seat tube and pull on it. Your FD should move outwards and it will show you if your derailleur movement is smooth or obstructed.

Nine times out of ten, your cable is a bit stretched so you just have to tension it a bit more.

AGREED!