Coffee machine

Hi guys, looking to buy my first nespresso pods. Anyone know where I can buy pods in the east?

Eastgate has a nespresso shop

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They do.???

I wasnt aware they had one, I thought there was only one in Sandton. I drive down to the Vaal at least twice a month, usually more, so if they have one that would be great as Eastgate is right on my route, plus I always forget to take pods with me so I am always running out at my house down there, ....I would be chuffed.!

Hi,

so i have the go ahead to buy a coffee machine for office.

will not bew getting a pod machine.

will make 10 to 15 cups a day max.

needs to be simple, user freindly and bullet proof, and not break the bank.

any suggestions on where to start ?

got upto R10k to spend.

tx

Hi,

got upto R10k to spend.

tx

Check out the super automatic machines from Jura. Then you just need a supplier of freshly roasted beans and you are good to go.

Gave the store in sandton a call and they said they are the only shot in the province.

They do.???

I wasnt aware they had one, I thought there was only one in Sandton. I drive down to the Vaal at least twice a month, usually more, so if they have one that would be great as Eastgate is right on my route, plus I always forget to take pods with me so I am always running out at my house down there, ....I would be chuffed.!

Gave the store in sandton a call and they said they are the only shot in the province.

Before I lie to you guys, it's not nespresso store but an official nespresso reseller in the @home store

http://noteurbane.com/shop/johannesburg/coffee/coffee-nespresso-johannesburg-shop-l10c-eastgate-shopping-centre-43-bradfor

Before I lie to you guys, it's not nespresso store but an official nespresso reseller in the @home store

http://noteurbane.com/shop/johannesburg/coffee/coffee-nespresso-johannesburg-shop-l10c-eastgate-shopping-centre-43-bradfor

Aaah! Do they sell pods tho and not just machines? by what I was told when I phoned the boutique it sounded like they won't let any store besides for themselves stock pods...

Just want to add my voice to those yelling "Aeropress". It's the closest you can get to a real espresso without buying a machine (and espresso is the foundation of every cappuccino, Americano, latte etc.) And there's absolutely no question that good quality, freshly roasted (not more than a week or two ago) and freshly ground beans are key to a great cup. A local roaster is your secret weapon.

However I'm not convinced about the need for an expensive grinder with an Aeropress. It's not like an espresso machine, where irregular granules allow the water to flow faster through some parts of the coffee "puck" than other parts, leading to channelling. With an Aeropress, the coffee is mixed with hot water and then separated by forcing the mixture through a paper filter - so the process is mechanically different to an espresso machine. I have tried grinding coffee with a mortar and pestle, and it made a reasonable cup with an Aeropress (it was a lot of work, though!)

My approach with the Aeropress is to make my coffee really strong - I use 20 grams of coffee and about 60ml of not-quite-boiling water (in terms of volume, that's about half coffee-grounds and half water) and then I add boiling water to the resulting double espresso to make an Americano.

Also, don't leave the coffee in the hot water for very long - pour, stir and push down that plunger without hanging about. That's the secret of the espresso taste - the coffee is exposed to hot (but not boiling) water for no longer than 30 or 40 seconds. More than that (time, temperature or water) and you get a different flavour profile. Of course, if you prefer to do it some other way, it's your choice - and that's another thing I like about the Aeropress.

Edited by GBguy

Aaah! Do they sell pods tho and not just machines? by what I was told when I phoned the boutique it sounded like they won't let any store besides for themselves stock pods...

Maybe I'm wrong then, I know they have the ethical coffee pods but if nespresso says No - sorry :(

No doubt it, quite a few @Home stores sell the machines, but none of them sell the pods, so I suspect its the same, Pity, it would have suited me perfectly.

Hi,

got upto R10k to spend.

tx

As you want a pod machine, any of the bigger Nespresso pod units will do the job, 15 cups a day is not a lot but might be a bit much for a smaller unit like a Pixie or a U to cope with every day, although, most of the Nespresso shops use Pixies and they make a lot more than 15 cups a day, so its possible.

Go to the Nespresso site and have a lookie-see, 10k is more than enough for a good pod machine, you will even have some change..........that always makes the accountants happy.! :D

Hi,

got upto R10k to spend.

tx

Aaah, wait a minute, looking again maybe I miss read your post, I read the "bew" to mean "BREW" as in "Will not BREW, getting a Pod machine".??

.........but it could just as easily read as "be" as in "Will not BE getting a pod machine" ??

..........in that case just disregard my post. :blush:

The pod things work out expensive, as you pay per cup. Also, as the pod fit is patented, you are at the manufacturer's mercy for pod price increases and flavours etc. Keep that in mind when buying.

Hi you can buy checkers brand pods that are just as good and cost you about 2 rand each which is much better

MY BAD !!!! @GrumpyOldGuy and @NoFearNoFun - I gave them a call @Home Eastgate that is - cause i'm sure i've seen the pods there. It is the ethical coffee pods that they sell there only - basically created by the original developer of Nespresso - they fit nespresso machines - but aren't the exclusive nespresso brand - and they flavours are the same. Something about a lapse in their patent.

My mates all get their fix from a guy that travels abroad all the time - works out under R5 a pod but their contact is leaving the country end of July - think you guys need to do a group buy and split the costs :-)

I'll shut up now.

MY BAD !!!! @GrumpyOldGuy and @NoFearNoFun - I gave them a call @Home Eastgate that is - cause i'm sure i've seen the pods there. It is the ethical coffee pods that they sell there only - basically created by the original developer of Nespresso - they fit nespresso machines - but aren't the exclusive nespresso brand - and they flavours are the same. Something about a lapse in their patent.

My mates all get their fix from a guy that travels abroad all the time - works out under R5 a pod but their contact is leaving the country end of July - think you guys need to do a group buy and split the costs :-)

I'll shut up now.

Tell me more...

Has anyone here tried the Ethical pods?

They claim that's its the exact same product as the Nespresso pods (due to a loop hole in the patent) and that they are designed by the ex CEO of nespresso.