SRAM vs SHIMANO

J0KER

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your one funny chap, but comming from tzaneen who can blame you. Yes my opinion is based on riding various XT/XTR groupo's for many many years, vs my experiance on SRAM now, Its also based on the opinion of all my mates that use to ride Shimano and now converted to SRAM. It is at the end of the day an opinion and based on experiance, seems to me that my experiance aligns with most other peoples as well.

And why did i never try XT brakes, because they were **** prior to 2010, and my current avids have served me very well over the last 3 years, so no need to change till they break...... if they break one day.

And no need to rip out your handbag for a bitchfight mate, if you love your shimano groupo then im happy for you. Truely i am.

I am glad I amuse you, easily done it seems.

Was not being bitchy in any way, nor fighting with you, I have no need of either. And if I do it wont be with a handbag. Not sure where you ride but Tzaneen, Sabie, Grasskop and Barberton have some of the very best riding in the country whether you find our location cause for derision or not. Come ride here first, then blah blah blah all you want.

If you actually read my posts you will see that I was simply stating that MY XT gruppo works perfectly in mud and was very easy to set up and maintain. You then inferred I had some magical ability or must have been lying.

You also claim thet MOST others have happily moved to SRAM. Not sure they have moved to being the premier high end component supplier yet...

As I said, you are always very sure of what you type. Good for you.

I was up that side couple weeks ago for the mankele challenge and will be at Clarens this weekend, hopefully to much less mud than last year. It's obviously all individual preference man. I run full xt on my training bike (except for the brakes which I've got 2012 elixir 9's on) and my race bike is a smattering of XO and X9 components.

In general I am just much more comfortable with SRAM shifting, but there's nothing wrong with XT and there are some things they're better at (front mech, cranks, longevity etc). Recent thread about xt brakes vs the new elixir's, both absolutely fantastic sets and yet completely polar opposite feels, ultimately it's what setup makes YOU comfortable.

What SRAM systems have you been on for extended periods may I ask?

I have no experience at all with SRAM which is why I never knocked them. Pretty good kit I am told.

How did you find Mankele? Awesome riding there.

We are racing on Sunday, the Magoebaskloof challenge, why don't you come up and have a go?

Guarenteed mud and single track!

I am glad I amuse you, easily done it seems.

Was not being bitchy in any way, nor fighting with you, I have no need of either. And if I do it wont be with a handbag. Not sure where you ride but Tzaneen, Sabie, Grasskop and Barberton have some of the very best riding in the country whether you find our location cause for derision or not. Come ride here first, then blah blah blah all you want.

If you actually read my posts you will see that I was simply stating that MY XT gruppo works perfectly in mud and was very easy to set up and maintain. You then inferred I had some magical ability or must have been lying.

You also claim thet MOST others have happily moved to SRAM. Not sure they have moved to being the premier high end component supplier yet...

As I said, you are always very sure of what you type. Good for you.

But you are arguing to point,

So lets be clear you have no experiance on SRAM?, but yet you claim shimano works better in mud? You claim they are eaiser to setup than SRAM? You claim they need less maintenance than SRAM?

As a bunch of previous posters have said, and has been confirmed by Cycle Factory,

There is nothing much wrong with shimano its not a bad product, but .....

1. They ARE more cumbersome to setup and tune.

2. They are NOT as good as SRAM in muddy conditions

3. They do need a lot more maintenance and tuning than SRAM.

Yeah sure shimano works, hell been riding shimano for years, they just dont work as well or are as easily maintained as SRAM.

And lastly shimano doesnt have gripshift which is a big thing in my book as well, thanks to the boys at SRAM for bringing out 10x2 Gripshift this year :)

The last time i took my Shimano in mud were in conditions like the pic, and never again will i do that unless I have no other choice.

post-14491-0-40629800-1336030273.jpg

So lets be clear you have no experiance on SRAM?, but yet you claim shimano works better in mud? You claim they are eaiser to setup than SRAM? You claim they need less maintenance than SRAM?

As a bunch of previous posters have said, and has been confirmed by Cycle Factory,

Yeah sure shimano works, hell been riding shimano for years, they just dont work as well or are as easily maintained as SRAM.

And lastly shimano doesnt have gripshift which is a big thing in my book as well, thanks to the boys at SRAM for bringing out 10x2 Gripshift this year :)

The last time i took my Shimano in mud were in conditions like the pic, and never again will i do that unless I have no other choice.

Hey Covie, I wouldn't drive through Bloem if I were you, those pigs will have you for obscured tail lights and license plate number. :eek:

Bought a new bike July 2010 and build it with X0. Only needed to set gears once after first build and that was because an outer got ripped.

* Build a 5 Spot about 6 weeks ago with oldish XT on it - this weekend gears had to be adjusted for the second time.

* Since Nov I've done a couple of hundred k's on an Anthem 29er with new XT on it. Needed some adjustment on various occasions. Not bad. Just not fit and forget. And shifting is no where near as smooth under load as the X0.

* Riding a mix X7 / X9 bike at the moment and it's been set and forget up until now.

* When my new frame arrives in 2 weeks time it will be build with XO no doubt.

For those mentioning brakes I can confirm that the latest XT and XTR brakes are FINALLY worth the money. Still not the best, but not trailing behind too many other brands.

You are missing the point. He is disputing the fact that Shimano is useless as you claim. He makes no claim as to it being better than SRAM.

I have never used SRAM either but my XT has also been running problem free in muddy stage races etc. And the two times I have needed to adjust it a quick twist of the barrel adjuster did the trick in 1 minute.

... thanks to the boys at SRAM for bringing out 10x2 Gripshift this year :)

Available from your LBS by the end of May. Best get your pre-order in...

Installed my Avid X0 brakes I bought a while back. Have to say it feels better and works better than the XT units I had before...but they were pre servo wave versions and faded quite a bit under heavy braking. I am still using my shimano centrelock rotors with them, so far so good.

Also bleeding them was a breeze, not to say shimano wasn't but I paid R60 for DOT 5.1 fluid vs. R400 for the same amount of Shimano mineral oil.

Everything has their pros and cons.

Also had my x-9 rear derailleur since 2006, no issues whatsoever besides me having to change the jockey wheels. Shifting definitely feels better over Shimano systems I have tried on friends bikes IMO.

Edited by Peewee1

You are missing the point. He is disputing the fact that Shimano is useless as you claim. He makes no claim as to it being better than SRAM.

I have never used SRAM either but my XT has also been running problem free in muddy stage races etc. And the two times I have needed to adjust it a quick twist of the barrel adjuster did the trick in 1 minute.

Showtime show me where i said its uselss, And till you run SRAM and have gained enough experiance on both group sets, i would refrain from posts such as these but since you are a noob, Fact is if you dont have extensive experiance on both your biased since you like what you have.

Hey Covie, I wouldn't drive through Bloem if I were you, those pigs will have you for obscured tail lights and license plate number. :eek:

Been there done that mate :) i just refuse to pay them fines. problem is now even worse since my wheelsize grew exponentially.

Available from your LBS by the end of May. Best get your pre-order in...

Rubbing hands with glee, :)

Showtime show me where i said its uselss, And till you run SRAM and have gained enough experiance on both group sets, i would refrain from posts such as these but since you are a noob, Fact is if you dont have extensive experiance on both your biased since you like what you have.

There you go:

"Always had issues with mud and my shimano, and to tune them properly you need a degree in voodoo, embrace the darkside and sell your kidney to a shammon.

SRAM you can tune 100% while on a trail in 5 minutes if need be. Shimano you can do on trail in about 1 hour and if your lucky you will be able to use at least most of your gears. "

And no I don't need to ride SRAM to say that my XT is working fine. Did a stage race in Knysna last year where the LBS were desperately bringing in brake pads because of the mud and I had 27 gears for 3 days no problem.