SRAM vs SHIMANO

J0KER

There you go:

"Always had issues with mud and my shimano, and to tune them properly you need a degree in voodoo, embrace the darkside and sell your kidney to a shammon.

SRAM you can tune 100% while on a trail in 5 minutes if need be. Shimano you can do on trail in about 1 hour and if your lucky you will be able to use at least most of your gears. "

And no I don't need to ride SRAM to say that my XT is working fine. Did a stage race in Knysna last year where the LBS were desperately bringing in brake pads because of the mud and I had 27 gears for 3 days no problem.

I fail to see the word uselss in there, i do however see the general flaws highlighted as pointed out by people with adequate knowledge on the various componenents?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Covie: "Always had issues with mud and my shimano, and to tune them properly you need a degree in voodoo, embrace the darkside and sell your kidney to a shammon."

Here is where you said they were useless. Along with needing an hour to set trailside. Those are the statements I disagreed with.

I never once said anything was better than SRAM.

Neither did Showtime. Are you sure you are a better, more knowledgable, cyclist than those who disagree with you? Of course you are sure!

Do you read what you post? Or do you dish out words like "noob" just because you feel like it?

Noob is a word used by internet warriors.

I fail to see the word uselss in there, i do however see the general flaws highlighted as pointed out by people with adequate knowledge on the various componenents?

I am an individual with adequate knowledge and I am pointing out to you that, flawed though your various "mates" may find the 2012 XT groupset to be, I find it to work perfectly in all sorts of conditions, mud included. I also find the groupset very easy to set up and tune at home or trailside.

There now, you have been informed, once again, by someone with an adequate knowledge of compononenenets or whatever else you want to call them.

Covie: "Always had issues with mud and my shimano, and to tune them properly you need a degree in voodoo, embrace the darkside and sell your kidney to a shammon."

Here is where you said they were useless. Along with needing an hour to set trailside. Those are the statements I disagreed with.

I never once said anything was better than SRAM.

Neither did Showtime. Are you sure you are a better, more knowledgable, cyclist than those who disagree with you? Of course you are sure!

Do you read what you post? Or do you dish out words like "noob" just because you feel like it?

Noob is a word used by internet warriors.

I comment becuase i have the experience and the knowledge i dont comment becuase i havent tried something and then claim to know how good or bad it is like you and one other, What i state is fact and backed up by people with knowledge of both and yet you argue. And you keep on argueing. If shimano didnt work it wouldnt sell, becuase SRAM works better, they are now outselling Shimano, so you can continue to render splatter on this thread doesnt refrain from the fact that you are in no position to compare or act like you have the knowledge to compare. End of Debate with you mate. Go buy SRAM test it for a couple of months and then we can continue this discussion.

This debate with you is paramount to banging ones head against a wall to see if the wall will move out of the way.

I comment becuase i have the experience and the knowledge i dont comment becuase i havent tried something and then claim to know how good or bad it is like you and one other, What i state is fact and backed up by people with knowledge of both and yet you argue. And you keep on argueing. If shimano didnt work it wouldnt sell, becuase SRAM works better, they are now outselling Shimano, so you can continue to render splatter on this thread doesnt refrain from the fact that you are in no position to compare or act like you have the knowledge to compare. End of Debate with you mate. Go buy SRAM test it for a couple of months and then we can continue this discussion.

This debate with you is paramount to banging ones head against a wall to see if the wall will move out of the way.

Are you blind?

Is your screen working?

Show me ONE comparison either I or Showtime have made between Shimano and SRAM!

We are not debating with you.

We don't care what you think.

We are stating, on a public forum, that OUR XT grouppos work very well in the mud.

In one respect you are correct, I have a headache as if I was banging my head gainst a wall and have just remembered that no one in paying me for your enlightenment so Mr. Oracle...

Are you blind?

Is your screen working?

We are stating, on a public forum, that OUR XT grouppos work very well in the mud.

In one respect you are correct, I have a headache as if I was banging my head gainst a wall and have just remembered that no one in paying me for your enlightenment so Mr. Oracle...

And i am pointing out you have no idea what works well since you have nothing to compare it too. Anyway last post on this matter son.

Hokay.. as someone mentioned Theres far to much sentiment involved and thus the mudslinging already started..

I think you’ll hear what you want to hear and believe what you feel like..

I’ll briefly list what components I have ridden (on my bike/s for long enough to have a opinion) and try give a unbiased opinion.

SRAM

X0 R-der (9sp)

X0 Shifters(9sp)

Juicy ultimate brakes

Juicy 7

Shimano

XT – 9sp

XTR-9sp

xt 2010 brakes

Starting with shifting.. I found the major difference with shimano vs sram that sram was more rigid/harsh shifting.. this is where most of you get your SRAM raves from. This might mean better shifting in mud and SRAM is better at is shifting with dirty cables, HOWEVER this becomes really hard because the 2:1 ratio. So much so that on a long (70km muddy ride with cold fingers) it became so hard to shift I was afraid of braking the shifter) this was obviously intensified by the cold hands but the almost metal on metal feel of the sram shifters has its cons. I spent the vast majority of my rime on shimano riding xt rear deraleurs and SLX shifters.. these worked fine 90% of the time and as any drive train would with clean cables and fresh chain/cassette it was great. In this state I prefer it to the harsh feel of sram, but in the real world sram got my votes over xt because the accurate shifting through most conditions.

Then one day I got chain suck because there was mud and grass in my cassette and SNAP! Sram Xo snapped couldn’t believe that a derailleur could snap from yes, cahinsuck, so be ware that theres a price you pay for the “quiet) sram r-derailleur’s, there’s far les movement which also makes wheels harder to install.

So..I upgraded to XTR.. big difference.. I really think the heart of XTR is the shifters.. It has a bit more of the SRAM feel to it, but not the harshness. One can do multiple shifts from 3 different positions in either direction and Its much more robust than xt. Ive been riding it for 14 months now and Im still loving it, wont go back to sram If I can keep using XTR. It doesnt lose its settings in mud and it doesnt need babying as much. I have heard others go back to XTR after using stam xx.. interesting still not sure why..I would ride sram over shimano if I couldnt ride xtr and had the choice. I think shimano might age better as stam is quite highly strung with low tollerances and some serious metal on metal action, again the very reason it might perform better initially. as for chains and casettes, I found shimano last longer.

I cant vouch for everything as I havent ridden XX or new 10 speed grouppo's but this is my humble opinion..

again.. biased as Im currently riding the xtr ;)

Are you blind?

Is your screen working?

Relax and have a good day now TZmtb. I have witnessed these attacks many times but never got involved. Why I felt I deserved the amusement today I'm not sure but I enjoyed it :)

Relax and have a good day now TZmtb. I have witnessed these attacks many times but never got involved. Why I felt I deserved the amusement today I'm not sure but I enjoyed it :)

No worries, see you on the hills.

Hokay.. as someone mentioned Theres far to much sentiment involved and thus the mudslinging already started..

I think you’ll hear what you want to hear and believe what you feel like..

I’ll briefly list what components I have ridden (on my bike/s for long enough to have a opinion) and try give a unbiased opinion.

SRAM

X0 R-der (9sp)

X0 Shifters(9sp)

Juicy ultimate brakes

Juicy 7

Shimano

XT – 9sp

XTR-9sp

xt 2010 brakes

Starting with shifting.. I found the major difference with shimano vs sram that sram was more rigid/harsh shifting.. this is where most of you get your SRAM raves from. This might mean better shifting in mud and SRAM is better at is shifting with dirty cables, HOWEVER this becomes really hard because the 2:1 ratio. So much so that on a long (70km muddy ride with cold fingers) it became so hard to shift I was afraid of braking the shifter) this was obviously intensified by the cold hands but the almost metal on metal feel of the sram shifters has its cons. I spent the vast majority of my rime on shimano riding xt rear deraleurs and SLX shifters.. these worked fine 90% of the time and as any drive train would with clean cables and fresh chain/cassette it was great. In this state I prefer it to the harsh feel of sram, but in the real world sram got my votes over xt because the accurate shifting through most conditions.

Then one day I got chain suck because there was mud and grass in my cassette and SNAP! Sram Xo snapped couldn’t believe that a derailleur could snap from yes, cahinsuck, so be ware that theres a price you pay for the “quiet) sram r-derailleur’s, there’s far les movement which also makes wheels harder to install.

So..I upgraded to XTR.. big difference.. I really think the heart of XTR is the shifters.. It has a bit more of the SRAM feel to it, but not the harshness. One can do multiple shifts from 3 different positions in either direction and Its much more robust than xt. Ive been riding it for 14 months now and Im still loving it, wont go back to sram If I can keep using XTR. It doesnt lose its settings in mud and it doesnt need babying as much. I have heard others go back to XTR after using stam xx.. interesting still not sure why..I would ride sram over shimano if I couldnt ride xtr and had the choice. I think shimano might age better as stam is quite highly strung with low tollerances and some serious metal on metal action, again the very reason it might perform better initially. as for chains and casettes, I found shimano last longer.

I cant vouch for everything as I havent ridden XX or new 10 speed grouppo's but this is my humble opinion..

again.. biased as Im currently riding the xtr ;)

Thanks boss now here is a more valueable post :)

Not sure on what yo mean with the 2:1 ratio, you make it seem like SRAM uses 2:1 where SRAM uses a 1:1 ratio? One of the reasons why SRAM is easier to setup :) SRAM

As far as breaking a derailure, that can happen yeah, remember shimano swings forwards and backwards so is a lot more leniant against those forces, where the SRAM does not hence the less chain slap on the SRAM. It is really odd that the derailure would break in that fashion, but like anything i guess its possible. I had a similar thing with an XT derailure that did'nt break due to force but it did misalign a bushing by about 1mm, and that rendered the derailure useless. Fact of life mountain meets bike = stuff will break.

Its like when shimano brought out their shadow derailures, the low profile derailure shifting wasnt as silent or a smooth as its other shimano counterparts, but they did elimante the bottom cable loop, i.e. like SRAM's cable routing, which meant cables dont get as fouled up in muddy conditions. Still not 100% on par with SRAM but it did make a difference. I did however find for some reason that with the shadow derailure being in such a "relaxed" position stuff like grass and sticks use to get stuck in there quite often.

I loved my X9 gripshifts + X9 FD & RD. No problems for more than a year, even bought it second hand. Currently have 2012 XT. No issues yet since November 2011.

What I like about XT and XTR is that it has no "deadshift", much like X0 and XX. SLX and X9 has basicly the same feeling to me. My Brothers XX is a bit moertoe after a year and a half.

IMHO X0 and XX gripshifts are gonna be super.

Just my 2c

who is hotter, jessica alba or megan fox?

Both In an XT / XO kinda way