Bike Service rip off

Foxpox

We could maintain a online directory here, name location and contact details of mechs that shown themself to be worthy of the golden badge.

G

I'm pretty sure that there is a thread that was already started for this, just can't remember what it was called, ADMIN help please!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the cycling industry is that bikeshops are not prepared to pay top dollar for well trained mechanics.

Instead of naming and shaming the shops why don't we rather make a list of those awesome mechanics who do excellent work? With their permission of course.

It doesn't end there with mechanics.

I'm asked almost weekly for recommendations relating to bicycles by friends and others. I have in the past had no hesitation in recommending the shop I use.

However I have stopped this as not one person has received a level of service from the shop, be it pre-sales or post-sales, that would make me want to go there myself. It's a booming sport and most shops are getting more one off business than they ever expected. Result: service levels are now unacceptably low. My referrals are almost treated with contempt, maybe because they are buying 4 entry level bikes for the family rather than one top end racer.

I do all my own maintenance and that of most of my ride partners, usually after they have been elsewhere first, I build my own bikes and I buy purely on price and availability. I used to be loyal but it is hard in this sport.

We could maintain a online directory here, name location and contact details of mechs that shown themself to be worthy of the golden badge.

G

The problem with the cycling industry is that bikeshops are not prepared to pay top dollar for well trained mechanics.

Instead of naming and shaming the shops why don't we rather make a list of those awesome mechanics who do excellent work? With their permission of course.

Excellent idea. So start the thread. Just get it stickied so we can come back and find it.

Now if you want good, trained mechanics servicing your bike in bike shops you need to be prepared to pay double the price. Private guys don't have the overheads.

I'm in Cape Town, would like to know who to avoid.

Lets just put it this way, if you hear the word cycleteknix...run very fast in opposite direction. I didn't just try them once or twice, I tried three times and all times they cocked up with different bikes. So if you ask me, I gave them more than one chance to prove themselves.

Recommend Cycle shops:

CT - gecko cycles

Stellenbosch - Masons cycles (don't like flandria or bmt)

Paarl - Local bike mechanic, Pieter Rossouw, best value for money by a very big margin. If I lived in CT I would rather spend R80 petrol money and take my bike to him. Stay very far away from croff cycles.

Edited by wheelerdealer

Action cycles in cape town cbd are awesome. Mtb only as far as I know. Paceline cycles in lakeside are good too. I should know, my brother is the mechanic there.

Is there any reputable bike shop who actually services bikes properly. I am on about my 5th now. It's not about price. Just do the job properly and on time , it's not all about cost. I am gatvol of always getting my bike back late and then having to go back in because something's not working. I got told today at a new shop that the front pads that were replaced last month are stuffed and don't look a month old!!! Ive complained plenty times before but it always fall on deaf ears and its a pain in the arse trapping around during work hours to and from bike shops. C'mon guys , nobody wants to see you battle ! I hear the same moans about this all the time. Just behave professionally and treat your clients as clients , we spend good cash at your shops and dont deserve to be treated like idiots by you or your staff. How many of you offer to deliver bikes back after a service (home,office etc)?People will gladly pay for this. Kom kernels, word wakker

Thats how I learned to fix my own bike. Everytime I got it back there was still something wrong so I would just fix it myself, and so it went on. Until I got a stand and the basic tools. Now I do all my own stuff, everything except shock service and wheel builds. Save a fortune and am never disappointed.

Edited by live2ride

• 1 month later...

I dont want to rant, but I am very unhappy about the service I just got from a shop in Pretoria. It's mostly because of the bill, R1000 for a major service including a bb replacement and two brake pads.

But also because I specifically asked them to call me before replacing anything and because they stuck their stoopid sticker on my frame. How does that work? Your not suppose to receive money for having other people support your marketing...?

Should I go make me a concrete milkshake or is this bull? And yes I know I should start servicing the bike myself...

I dont want to rant, but I am very unhappy about the service I just got from a shop in Pretoria. It's mostly because of the bill, R1000 for a major service including a bb replacement and two brake pads.

Erm, I paid that for the same except only rear b/pads in Sandton. But I did it with a smile because I know my bike is taken good care of.

But also because I specifically asked them to call me before replacing anything and because they stuck their stoopid sticker on my frame. How does that work? Your not suppose to receive money for having other people support your marketing...?

Should I go make me a concrete milkshake or is this bull? And yes I know I should start servicing the bike myself...

Aah, the mechanics must have trained at Ford!

Lets just put it this way, if you hear the word cycleteknix...run very fast in opposite direction. I didn't just try them once or twice, I tried three times and all times they cocked up with different bikes. So if you ask me, I gave them more than one chance to prove themselves.

LOL .... a rider I know took his bike there for a rear der replacement and the guys could not find the same hanger as per what he had and then rather FILED down the part of the offending frame that prevented them fitting the hanger they had in stock!

Now if you want good, trained mechanics servicing your bike in bike shops you need to be prepared to pay double the price. Private guys don't have the overheads.

I'm a certified master mechanic... Did my course in Colorado Springs. Cost really alot (thanks mom and dad) and you do a practical + theory exam and it is damn hard. BUT it pays off if you work on bikes. Had a grat epic this year between myself and a mate we did 22 bikes a evening. And now I service bikes at clients houses. You dont need top dollar to use my services at all :D