Magalies Monster 2012

Honkdonk

Right then

Whose in for it this year?

I have seen the threads from last years race but seen nothing on here for this year so far.

This is my 1st one and am toying wth the 75k real deal.

Hows your training going? Who has done in the past and how did it go?

How do the rocky climbs compare to those in Groenkloof - that section up Onion Hill? Or is Kings Kloof a closer comparison? Not having ridden either Kings or Breedts Nek, its virgin territory.

Puncture probability?

Estimated time in the sadlle for the 45 and 75k?

Considering the weather we are having at the moment, I am sure the day time temps are going to b pretty decent so there is a the possibility of cramp and heatstroke.

I am no snake but am keen to give it a good thrashing and enjoy the ride.

Staying at Sparlinkg Waters for the weekend so making the most of it.

Lets hear it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

always enjoyed the half marathon, going to give the full ride a go this year. climb the monster, thats what its all about.

very dusty in the past, rocky, technical, and quite fresh at the start.

Yep yep...70 marathon. Sani will be my prep for the monster like I mentioned in another fred. :ph34r:

Awesome race. will do this one every year, but it's a toughie.

Am doing it for the third time, first year I had a puncture after coming down Breedts and missed the cut off time (I may have made it but my heart was no longer in it!). Last year I made it in 6:56, this year after shedding 10kgs and making a bit more of an effort I hope to make it in under 6hrs. Average speed last year was something dismal like 9km/h! I did not have punctures last year but am now using thicker thorn proof tubes as well as tyre liners.

Make no mistake on the weather, it will be a cold start and with all the lovely sunny warm weather we have been having I have a feeling a cold front will soon make an appearance... Last year was a frosty morning! But daytime temps (if sunny) will be mid 20's so remember the sun block!

I did not find the ride all that technical but what is a bit demoralising is after the ride down Breedts nek there was some thick sand and you still have another 30 odd km to go up and over numberous hills which starts to sap you.

Me and granny gear there like a bear. Truly a race of extremes. From loose rocky to sandy to fast and flat. Terrain changes all the time so no respite and you need to work hard on the downhills too. The climbs a brutal though. Be prepared. Love this race.

Right then

Whose in for it this year?

I have seen the threads from last years race but seen nothing on here for this year so far.

This is my 1st one and am toying wth the 75k real deal.

Hows your training going? Who has done in the past and how did it go?

How do the rocky climbs compare to those in Groenkloof - that section up Onion Hill? Or is Kings Kloof a closer comparison? Not having ridden either Kings or Breedts Nek, its virgin territory.

Puncture probability?

Estimated time in the sadlle for the 45 and 75k?

Considering the weather we are having at the moment, I am sure the day time temps are going to b pretty decent so there is a the possibility of cramp and heatstroke.

I am no snake but am keen to give it a good thrashing and enjoy the ride.

Staying at Sparlinkg Waters for the weekend so making the most of it.

Lets hear it.

Sometimes not knowing the route can help as you don't have any bad memories from the year before!

Also considering the monster (75km) sometimes I feel that driving that far, a half marathon is too short.

So how bad(hard) is it actually?

Edited by Smolster

Also considering the monster (75km) sometimes I feel that driving that a half marathon is too short.

How climbing fit are you? There are loads of hills to go both up and down, lots of rock and happy shiny quartzite to skate across (the fragments of quartz become like glass marbles) and some miserable sections of sand. There was also a bit of a portage section that seems to take forever. The start of the ascent up to the top of the Magalies is also energy sapping, it is not short and steep but rather long and never ending then as mentioned once you make it down to the bottom of the pass there are still another 30 odd k's to go with a mix of riding conditions.

I'm there for round 2 of me vs the Monster.

Rode the 75km in 5:55 with 30 minutes trying to find the quick link I dropped in the bushes after breaking the chain. Want to do sub 5 hours this year.

Also considering the monster (75km) sometimes I feel that driving that far, a half marathon is too short.

haha, dont be fooled, the half marathon is tough enough, still good value for money. you just dont climb the monster though.

How climbing fit are you? There are loads of hills to go both up and down, lots of rock and happy shiny quartzite to skate across (the fragments of quartz become like glass marbles) and some miserable sections of sand. There was also a bit of a portage section that seems to take forever. The start of the ascent up to the top of the Magalies is also energy sapping, it is not short and steep but rather long and never ending then as mentioned once you make it down to the bottom of the pass there are still another 30 odd k's to go with a mix of riding conditions.

Mojo,

I'm probably at my fittest yet at the moment and believe I am relatively hill fit. However I am no race snake.

How would you gauge the monster against the redstone crazy croc?

As I'm fitter than I was then.

Hell this could be funny if I do 75km

Nice! Sounds like a real tester. Am fit, could always be fitter, love the climbs, could always climb better.

Not spent enough time as I would have liked in the saddl over the last month. Guess I will see how it goes.

Moderation seems to be the key as for some reason I always cane it from the off and then hit the wall towards the end with cramps etc.

Gotta watch that heart rate and adhere...

Mojo,

I'm probably at my fittest yet at the moment and believe I am relatively hill fit. However I am no race snake.

How would you gauge the monster against the redstone crazy croc?

As I'm fitter than I was then.

Hell this could be funny if I do 75km

Did not do the Crazy Croc but as a gauge I was 110kg last year (thats about 20kg too porky!), average speeds on rides was about 16km and I rode about 300-400km a month. Did very few hills. On a fitness scale of 1-10 I would say I was around 5 last year. But also note I live around here so I am used to the riding conditions but I simply just did not do anywhere near enough hill work. And ate too many pies!

T

Nice! Sounds like a real tester. Am fit, could always be fitter, love the climbs, could always climb better.

Not spent enough time as I would have liked in the saddl over the last month. Guess I will see how it goes.

Moderation seems to be the key as for some reason I always cane it from the off and then hit the wall towards the end with cramps etc.

Gotta watch that heart rate and adhere...

I did the one day Honda ride at Morpeng this year. I was literally the last to get going, I waited till I had done around 10km before I started making an effort and it paid off, came 68th out of 110 or something. I also (and am not ashamed to say so!) made use of my smallest crank blade to keep my legs from suffering. I saw one guy in the Honda ride cramping within 5km, as they say, slow and steady!

Did not do the Crazy Croc but as a gauge I was 110kg last year (thats about 20kg too porky!), average speeds on rides was about 16km and I rode about 300-400km a month. Did very few hills. On a fitness scale of 1-10 I would say I was around 5 last year. But also note I live around here so I am used to the riding conditions but I simply just did not do anywhere near enough hill work. And ate too many pies!

T

Lol

Ok, so I do about 300 to 400 a month, do a fair amount of medium hills and am about 5kg over weight. I rate my fitness at around 6.5 to 7. And I don't eat pies, but make up for it in copious amounts of beer!

So what do you think?