dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after watching Strength in Numbers last night I realized there is more too mountain biking than XC riding. **ck it, you get so stoked to see those guys riding!

We are flooded and brainwashed with XC and XC bikes - give us more options to expand the sport + there is enough terrain in South Africa were one would ride such bikes!

What brainwashing? It's long been the predominant market style of riding here, blame the long multi/all day rides on the exploratory nature of Saffas. ;)

Yet the options for AM/freeride/DH are there and always have been, so start.

Buy an AM bike and build trails, nothing stopping anyone, already a few guys doing so.

Sigh ... bring back the 90s, DH and XC (now XCO) ... Same weekend, same bike. :) ....

Sigh ... bring back the 90s, DH and XC (now XCO) ... Same weekend, same bike. :) ....

but arguably not as extreme jumps - well...i took it slowly anyway - even back then (although that means a confession that i have soft balls :mellow: )

Guest Omega Man

although that means a confession that i have soft balls :mellow:

Haha. We all do. It's easy to be a hard man on the internet.

We are flooded and brainwashed with XC and XC bikes - give us more options to expand the sport + there is enough terrain in South Africa were one would ride such bikes!

totally! it seems this forum is over populated by self righteous "dirt-roadies" who shoot down any opinion other than their own.

I reckon the reason that there are so many more xc riders than AM/freeriders is 1. Its harder to find decent bikes as the importers and retailers sell mostly xc bikes. Not their fault, that is what people buy. 2 the lack of bike park style trails that are easy enough for most to ride, yet still super fun. 3 the idea that all dhfreeriders are dirty kids who don't give a **** about anyone else! Eventually some of the xcmarathon racers will realise that there are other forms of mtbing that are as much or more fun and will start crossing over. I see it happening already. But as long as you are riding a bike on a mountain you are ok in my books.

What brainwashing? It's long been the predominant market style of riding here, blame the long multi/all day rides on the exploratory nature of Saffas. ;)

Yet the options for AM/freeride/DH are there and always have been, so start.

Buy an AM bike and build trails, nothing stopping anyone, already a few guys doing so.

All you needed was a zaskar.

totally! it seems this forum is over populated by self righteous "dirt-roadies" who shoot down any opinion other than their own.

I find this rather interesting and amusing.

Stander, Sauser, Evans, Heymans just to name a few are lycra clad kids who do this, how do people call it "dirt-roadie" thing.

Funny thing is, they have more technical skill on the tip of their ball hair than most wannabe-free riders have in their entire genetic make-up and that includes all the inches of travel they like to boast about .

This forum has nothing to do with it, having miles and miles of countryside to explore and ride, is what makes marathon riding so popular here at home.

Not quite, they only became really popular later on, the Diamond Back's were the bomb, most guys had Nishiki Altron's, the Ritchey's were awesome but for the rich.

The Zaskars became popular late 90's.

Stander, Sauser, Evans, Heymans just to name a few are lycra clad kids who do this, how do people call it "dirt-roadie" thing.

Funny thing is, they have more technical skill on the tip of their ball hair than most wannabe-free riders have in their entire genetic make-up and that includes all the inches of travel they like to boast about .

This forum has nothing to do with it, having miles and miles of countryside to explore and ride, is what makes marathon riding so popular here at home.

:clap: your points, opinions and ideas are not far off.... however as usual they are just a bit bloated and overstated.

Just like the revisited and extended version of this song!!!

http://youtu.be/evA-R9OS-Vo

Edited by TheV

You hit the nail on its head. Nothing that annoys me more than the ignorance behind that term.

Not quite, they only became really popular later on, the Diamond Back's were the bomb, most guys had Nishiki Altron's, the Ritchey's were awesome but for the rich.

The Zaskars became popular late 90's.

Yeah but its the one bike I regret selling.

This forum has nothing to do with it, having miles and miles of [boring] countryside to explore and (because xc'ers only ever ride breeds nek) ride, is what makes marathon riding so popular here at home [for people who lack imagination] .

fixed :devil:

Edited by sadamhussein

fixed :devil:

We don't shoot down eveyone's opinions - just yours.

Haven't you got a supplement to drink?

Bridgestone, MB6 then and MB5. Eventually Kona AA then an Explosiv.

The GT Zaskars, Diamond Backs etc were coveted :)

Thing is, the riding back then for XC(O) was a lot more technical than most of the marathon events these days. Essentially the birth of MTB in SA is with pure XC.

Most people would *** off to do a proper XC circuit, in fact guys have very much a skewed perception of XC.

Dangle pretty much summed it up.