dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

David "Tinker" Juarez .... probably the greatest mountain biker of all time ... was a pro when i started (he was racing for Cannondale back then) ... still a pro now ... Machine of note

and an absolute gentleman from what I saw/experienced when he was here a year or 2 ago for the 24hr even out on the trails when passing us mere mortals!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and an absolute gentleman from what I saw/experienced when he was here a year or 2 ago for the 24hr even out on the trails when passing us mere mortals!

A real gentleman, I agree with NHicks, I will put him up as the greatest mountain biker of all time.

Ned is an absolute legend too, had the pleasure of riding some trails with him in Salt Lake City, he is super smooth, these guys pick lines we don't even know exist.

the oke i was MOST disappointed with ... Tomac ... Met him at Mont St Anne World Cup in 1997 and he was a complete tosser ... almost as bad as Palmer ... the most legend guys were the Cannondale team ... Rockwell, Sydor, Giove ... i got a full tour of their team bus - had coffee with Rockwell and Giove and got given team shirts by Rockwell! ... SWEET!

No Trek Slash or Remedy in SA ��... darn!

What bike shops in SA have the bikes that Patches mentioned on their floors?? What are the pricing on these bikes? Are there parts for these bikes in SA?

When you walk into a few bike shops here in Pta for eg. and ask for their 140mm / all mountain models I usually get the standard reply of "no, we don't do those, but we have these XC models, here are 3 models to choose from".

Surely one would like to sit on it, see it, feel it, check the size, hell even ride it down the stairs (if there is any) outside the shop to get a feel for the bike you are about to purchase? You test drive a car before you buy it?

The point I am trying to make is, that those who started off with XC or first timers who wants to try out all mountain, and wants learn to go faster down the trail and learn to take those jumps, are limited to options/models in SA - in most cases there aren't any of these in our LBS!

It does not make sense to haul your XC bike hectic terrain if its not designed to take that punishment / or even slapping a 140mm fork to your current setup...it's not designed for that.

It's shocking how little some LBSers know about bigger bikes. I walked into one once and asked what they offer/can order in terms of DH bikes. They showed me to a Scott Ransom and explained what a great "downhill" bike it was becasue it had 200mm rotors. I couldn't bite my tongue any longer and told them that a downhill bike means 200mm of travel, not braking. Hell, the bike even had a front derailleur on it.

If one went into Dion Wired (or wherever) to buy a 55" TV and they try to sell you one with 4 less inches, you'd tell them to get lost! (and 4 less inches of travel on a bike makes more of a difference than 4 less inches on a TV).

What is also quite amusing is how most people ask me about my "downhill bikes" when I'm riding my Moto 1 or Ndiza. Ok, so the Moto is 160mm and looks like a burly bike... so that is kinda understandable... but the Ndiza is 80mm front, 100mm rear... hells, less than most XC bikes... and it gets mistaken for a "downhill bike"

Quite a few brands have an AM bike available to the SA market. Granted most of these models aren't on the showroom floors, they are still obtainable. Here are some to name a few.

Yeti SB-66 - Morningside cycles will probably have a frame on the wall. I'm guessing about 25-30k for the frame alone

Cannondale Jekyll - Seen a Jekyll 3 on the floor at The Lab. 35 000 ZA Ronds

Scott Ransom - Seen Ransom 40/50 at Cajees. 25 000 ZA Ronds

Commencal Meta AM - Available online from buycycle. R26 500 (AM 3), and R31 300 (AM 2)

Santa Cruz Nomad - Available from Mike's Bikes. Nomad Carbon frame is about 35k if I remember correctly

Morewood Sukuma - not sure if in production yet. But Rushsports will have them when they are

Morewood Jabula - same as above

Specialized Enduro - seen an older model at Fritz Pienaar. Was going for about R25 000

Mongoose Teocali - available from omnico. 2009 Elite goes for R12 000

Oh, and as an aside... I haven't seen a Trek Slash locally... but I do know someone with a Trek Scratch Air (the Slash's predecessor)... and man it was amazing! He had special contacts though and brought it in himself

Edited by patches

What's even worse is not having R20k for a frame and trying to get something 2nd hand. Its almost impossible to find a large 160 mm travel bike or frame for a price I can afford.

What's even worse is not having R20k for a frame and trying to get something 2nd hand. Its almost impossible to find a large 160 mm travel bike or frame for a price I can afford.

It's not a large, but Omico is selling a medium a Cannondale Moto carbon 160mm frame for R12 000, new. That's with a Fox DHX Air.

the oke i was MOST disappointed with ... Tomac ... Met him at Mont St Anne World Cup in 1997 and he was a complete tosser ... almost as bad as Palmer ... the most legend guys were the Cannondale team ... Rockwell, Sydor, Giove ... i got a full tour of their team bus - had coffee with Rockwell and Giove and got given team shirts by Rockwell! ... SWEET!

Seriously? Maybe it was a bad day. Met him at the 98 World Cup in Stellenbosch, was super cool, had a Windhoek together.

Missy Giove was hardcore, we got bounced by her from the team area, next day we saw her and she was super chill ... Rob Warner signed my Union Jack flag and I gave him some mampoer, fark his face was classic! :lol:

Wont mention the story with the one Trek mechie and the disc brakes :whistling:

No Giant Reign there, patches?

Yeah, I'd kick you ass but no one takes me seriously. Reign rules!

Whew, what a read, three more pages..

Guest Omega Man

Hell, but this thread has gone a long way now and I still have no idea who Mr. Clean is ?

He's a musician. Sings a song about pies. hehe. And change your picture please. It makes me lose my chain o

Edited by Omega Man

Quite cool aint it, the name won't ring any bells with many, yet Ned Overend hails him as one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time.

The way I understand it, Ned is still dishing out the pain on the US circuit... Biltong tough... As for Tinker, man he is smooth... He passed me just before the bridge at 1 am in the morning, this after he had been riding non stop since midday, and I still could not catch him.... Damn pity I forgot my Volvo Cannondale cap at home. Would have been cooler with his script..

The way I understand it, Ned is still dishing out the pain on the US circuit... Biltong tough... As for Tinker, man he is smooth... He passed me just before the bridge at 1 am in the morning, this after he had been riding non stop since midday, and I still could not catch him.... Damn pity I forgot my Volvo Cannondale cap at home. Would have been cooler with his script..

Ned and Tinker are both very small, very thin and super strong.

They are genetic freaks, we should actually be really pleased that we got to know about them in our lifetime.

I had a US Cycling mag that did a side by side physical comparison between Ned and and son. Considering the massive age difference, the results showed that physically he was a freak.

Wasn't Missy put away for possession?

Yeah. Missy went to jail for being involved in a deal with about 300kg of weed! That's a bit much for personal use, unless your name starts with Bob and ends with Marley

Guest Omega Man

Yeah. Missy went to jail for being involved in a deal with about 300kg of weed! That's a bit much for personal use, unless your name starts with Bob and ends with Marley

I think she got off with a tearfull apology and time served whilst awating trial. 300kg is quite a lot of weed. Maybe it was for her lymphoma.

Edited by Omega Man