MTB Shoes - cleaning them?!

SeaBee

I hear that we must never use washing machine or dishwasher or put them in the sun to dry because it will cause the shoe to loose its shape....

Rather use soap, brush and luke warm water in bucket. Rinse well and leave it in dry area to dry it. I normally use newspaper to absorb the water and replace them often....

I just soak in water, and brush of with the soap thats left after bike is washed and drying, rinse off and let dry upside down on washing line, sometimes if soles are very muddy, I'll take the high pressure washer and blast them all side....so far no hassles. If I m bored or have more time than usual, I'll Mr Min them too

Easy one this. Bang shoes together to get rid of excess mud and crap. I take them into the showers with me along with a scrubbing brush. Give them a good work over and leave in the sun to dry out. Newspaper or no newspaper. they are Loius Garneau that have lasted me 6 years so far. Double velcro strap and nothing fancy.

Just make sure you clean the shower afterwards as well!

I'll Mr Min them too

I'd avoid that... It attracts for dust and dirt...

i soak mine in soap water then scub down with brush. nothing special.... and it works.

ps im not a roadie nor a pro so my mtb shoes are black ie. not hard to clean

+1. Mine get a wipe down after each ride, mostly when I wash my bike. big mud days, scrub with a brush, soap + water.

A pair of overshoes/shoe covers also work well to limit the dust/mud on your shoes, and much easier to wash.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Spray them with diluted Prepsol, let stand for 5 minutes, hose off and let dry in the sun. Brand new.

putting shoes in heavy detergents and washing machines is a so bad for them , they lose shape and it will deter ate the stitching and bonding glue so fast shortening there life span .

I use a shoe brush ( like the ones you use to polish shoes ) warm water and mild soap ( green sunlight bar ) wet , scrub , rinse and leave to dry ( not in the sun ) .

have two pairs of shoes so this helps not needing them in a hurry as its about a day to dry properly .

bang shoes together until all mud falls off.spray with hosepipe.use a nail to clean the cleat bolt where the alan key fits in.(it is a bitch to try and do repairs on the trail on the cleat if you cannot get the alan key in.)take innersoles out and soak in bath.fill shoes with newspaper(especially with pictures of politicians on) and leave to dry not in direct sunlight. alt jump in pool with shoes and hang on washing line.(after you have taken the shoes off) the creepy crawly will do the rest.

I put inserts in the shoes, wrap them in a towel, put that in a pillow case and into the washing machine they go. Short cycle.

Take them out and leave them outside in the shade with newspaper in to dry.

boom