Dual Suss 26er or 29er??

Dogfish

my sani partner was amazed at how many 26ers were still being used in kzn. Apparently in cape town it is predominantly 29ers (or so he says) - so I guess where you ride (i.e terrain etc) effects your purchase as well as what is comfortable. For me it would be a no brainer - full suss 26er - but thats just me!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Gents, i can vouch for the climbing ability of a 29er and should go this route as i really enjoy my current bike. But some of the "pre loved" 26 duelies on offer are swaying me to get a better spec'ed, higher end bike for my little budget.

Second hand 26ers are going at bargain rates as every one is moving onto the naainers.

then at the same time there seem to be a lot of 29ers for sale as people realise they are not all that cracked up to be. Its a win win for everyone.

I would say go 26" full sus. Way more versatile and way more fun :thumbup:

Depends how tall you are if u 5 11 or taller go niner if u short **** like me get a 26er, bottom line is ride what you comfortable on and what you can afford.

I don't buy into this if your are taller that a 29er suites, I know of at least three guys that oare well over 6 feet and dislike the 29ers emensly. Thats not to say its not suited to others that are tall.

My 26'er dual regularly smokes 29'er hardtails.

Good.... I think its the combination between rider and bike.

The amount of experience you have on that bike.

Its what you feel comfy on.

Uphill I was flying with my Giant XTC 26" Carbon at weight of 9,4 all up.

With My Scott Scale 29 Pro I'm slower, bike weight 8.8kg.

26" bike as like 29ers differs from each other. Being Geometry and components (groupsets and wheels/tyres and .. and.. )

Ie. If I rode my Scott 29er with a cheaper, say x7 or groupset it would have an influence in shifting, pedaling, the entire ride will differ from having xx and a rotor crank ect.

Bringing all the variables in play with influance a ride on the same frame. Now how about wheel sets and bike setup?

Edited by Andro

Good.... I think its the combination between rider and bike.

The amount of experience you have on that bike.

Its what you feel comfy on.

Uphill I was flying with my Giant XTC 26" Carbon at weight of 9,4 all up.

With My Scott Scale 29 Pro I'm slower, bike weight 8.8kg.

26" bike as like 29ers differs from each other. Being Geometry and components (groupsets and wheels/tyres and .. and.. )

Ie. If I rode my Scott 29er with a cheaper, say x7 or groupset it would have an influence in shifting, pedaling, the entire ride will differ from having xx and a rotor crank ect.

Bringing all the variables in play with influance a ride on the same frame. Now how about wheel sets and bike setup?

A bit off topic but would like to see your bike, and know what components you running if that OK, I'm @ 10.2kg with XT groupset. Thanks :thumbup:

My 26'er dual regularly smokes 29'er hardtails.

You need to compare apples with apples, It doesn't count if you're 'smoking'

people who've been riding less than you.

So what you're saying is in a head to head race with these 'smoked' people , put them on your 26er and you'll be crossing the finish line at the same time...

What an open ended statement, Silly

I agree with the sentiments above.

Everybody and his dog has sold his 26DS for a 29HT. People a HT is still a HT regardless of the wheelsize. The benefits of DS will still eclipse a HT each and every time. There are some silly good deals to be had on 26DS because everyone wants a 29 even if its a HT.

I think a 29HT is a temporary measure as ultimately you want to ride a DS. 29DS bikes are pretty pricey and I think they still have some way to go in terms of technology. In 5 years time the options will be even better as 650B makes an entry into the market.

Get the best that you can afford even if its a 26DS. I met a guy who just bought a top end spec'd Zula for 13k. That is daylight robbery and also just sad that someone would sell such a great bike for so little cash.

For the record I ride a Zula and at this years Sani2c I remembered just how much fun it is. I would never in a million years sell it for a HT experience. DS wins every time regardless of wheel size.

So how many 26er's were in the top 10 of the epic and joberg2c? :whistling:

That's because they are all pro's.

Pro's get the latest and greatest equipment where cost is not an issue. The average guy doesn't have 80k for a bike.

Keep telling yourself that 26 DS bikes are dead ad buried.

Maybe you need to justify the bike you sold for a pittance?

All I know is that its shortsighted to flog perfectly good working 26DS bikes for a 29HT. That is regression.

My 26DS is going no where. I love her too much.

Interesting though that they don't have a 2012 version of her.

The ladies bikes are all going 29er as well.