Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

Italian national coach: "Lance, speak out. Spit it out"

Italian national coach and former world and Olympic champion Paolo Bettini has called on Lance Armstrong to confess to his doping past so that professional cycling can start afresh.

Bettini raced between 1997 and 2008, when EPO use was rampant in the peloton. He won numerous classics, two world titles in 2006 and 2007 and gold in the road race at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games. He took over from the late Franco Ballerini as Italian national coach in 2010 and hopes to become the manager of the Italian nation teams after next week's Italian Cycling Federation elections, while Max Scanidri would become national professional coach and team selector.

Bettini called on Armstrong to confess after a report in the New York Times suggested that the Texan may have talked to associates and anti-doping officials about publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career.

"It's true, the show must go on, as they, but it (cycling) has got to be credible and an eventual confession by the American could be the chance to cancel everything that happened in the past and start all over again," Bettini is reported as saying in the Italian La Repubblica newspaper.

"Armstrong's got to do it. All the evidence points in one direction: against him. He didn’t defend himself against the accusations thinking he'd left the world of cycling. But I can tell him as an ex-rider, this is his world and you can never just leave like that."

Bettini also confirmed that he is favour of some kind of amnesty or truth and reconciliation commission, without indicating if he had anything to confess about his professional career.

"The really serious thing is that what happened has revealed that the whole system is crooked, at every level. Some people have talked about an amnesty. I'm in favour if everything comes out," Bettini said.

"Lets get rid of who we have to get rid of and start all over again. I don’t really believe in confessions in sport but if it helps put an end to this vicious circle then I welcome it. Lance, speak out. Spit it out. It'd be good for him and for all of us."

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll never do it.

Too much pride.

If he should, I'll dust off my MTB, and head to the topmost peak of Meerendal MTB Trail.

And I am not a fan of dust on my Sidis.

If he does do it, if he makes a complete confession, there are some people who will be very nervous. I bet he would have a different view on who did what from some of the other confessors.

If he does do it, if he makes a complete confession, there are some people who will be very nervous. I bet he would have a different view on who did what from some of the other confessors.

I think he will, and he'll keep it clean. He'll say, sorry, I did wrong, we all did, I'm a victim of a corrupt sport and leave it at that. I reckon he's eaten enough worms out of the can already open without opening a whole new one.

I prefer him not confessing. I like the way things are now with cycling trying to win back its credibility.

I think he will, and he'll keep it clean. He'll say, sorry, I did wrong, we all did, I'm a victim of a corrupt sport and leave it at that. I reckon he's eaten enough worms out of the can already open without opening a whole new one.

This would be the best way to do it.

Some part of me is actually hoping for a bomb to explode but like you said, it would be a shitstorm from the start and the sport dont need that now

I prefer him not confessing. I like the way things are now with cycling trying to win back its credibility.

Winning it back is impossible without his confession.

Italian national coach: "Lance, speak out. Spit it out"

Italian national coach and former world and Olympic champion Paolo Bettini has called on Lance Armstrong to confess to his doping past so that professional cycling can start afresh.

Bettini raced between 1997 and 2008, when EPO use was rampant in the peloton. He won numerous classics, two world titles in 2006 and 2007 and gold in the road race at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games. He took over from the late Franco Ballerini as Italian national coach in 2010 and hopes to become the manager of the Italian nation teams after next week's Italian Cycling Federation elections, while Max Scanidri would become national professional coach and team selector.

Bettini called on Armstrong to confess after a report in the New York Times suggested that the Texan may have talked to associates and anti-doping officials about publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career.

"It's true, the show must go on, as they, but it (cycling) has got to be credible and an eventual confession by the American could be the chance to cancel everything that happened in the past and start all over again," Bettini is reported as saying in the Italian La Repubblica newspaper.

"Armstrong's got to do it. All the evidence points in one direction: against him. He didn’t defend himself against the accusations thinking he'd left the world of cycling. But I can tell him as an ex-rider, this is his world and you can never just leave like that."

Bettini also confirmed that he is favour of some kind of amnesty or truth and reconciliation commission, without indicating if he had anything to confess about his professional career.

"The really serious thing is that what happened has revealed that the whole system is crooked, at every level. Some people have talked about an amnesty. I'm in favour if everything comes out," Bettini said.

"Lets get rid of who we have to get rid of and start all over again. I don’t really believe in confessions in sport but if it helps put an end to this vicious circle then I welcome it. Lance, speak out. Spit it out. It'd be good for him and for all of us."

I have always liked Paolo. thumbup1.gif

He was the highest paid cyclist ever at the time. Any contracts since then bigger than what mr Bettini earned?

Mr Hamilton must be shivering

"Hamilton fears "Lance will hit back"

Hamilton is an ace knob as I already said here a while back.

Ultimately they are all a bunch of crooks.