Continental Race King

Nicola13

Hi All

What are your thoughts on the Continental Race King 2.2 UST tyres?

For a friend of mine who is just average mountainbiker and the all round weekend warrior.

I used to have Mountain King 2.2 but had a couple of side wall punctures, so not sure about these other ones either...

Let me know!

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get the protection, light and durable, the race king 2.2 sits out quite wide compared to any other 2.2. so running it as a rear tyre i would consider a 2.0

IMO the Race King is not a good all round tyre. When things get slightly wet they suck, also on loose gravel you find yourself being rather light footed.

Mountain king is good for the front but not on hardpack, the knobs tend to bend in corners. Else they rock.

IMO the Race King is not a good all round tyre. When things get slightly wet they suck, also on loose gravel you find yourself being rather light footed.

Mountain king is good for the front but not on hardpack, the knobs tend to bend in corners. Else they rock.

I find the Mountain King 2 a lot better than its predecessor in the corners, with regards to punctures and sidewall cuts Ive been lucky to never have one, and I have been through some rough stuff where you have visions of fixing something on the other side.

Weird to have such different views on the same product.

I Used the race king UST on the rear for about a year and It wasn’t even worn through. Its lighter than the maxis Crossmark LUST and IMO almost just as tough. Looking at your Picture I presume you turned the foldable version of the Mountain king into tubliss as I cant see how you could destroy a sidewall of a UST version weighing 50-60kg (assumption on your pic) As I said I rode the tire hard in very rockey capetown area and I took it off because I got bored.. It’s a very good tire. Grips fairly well in most conditions. Not good over a wet route, but what bar a spike tire grips on wet routes? It has nice and low rolling resistance and In my opinion almost fit and forget.

Dont put it on your trailbike, its a race tire, so its great for covering distance, and If youre ok at handeling your bike then you'll get far more from your race tire than you might ever really need. just some skill and finesse.

Not wide as someone stated above? My race king 2.2 looked more like a 2 inch tire on my 25mm wide (standard width) rim. So If she’s riding a Hard tail It wont give her to much bump absorption. The 2.4 Mountain king is nice and big but not sure they even make the race king in 2.4.

get the protection, light and durable, the race king 2.2 sits out quite wide compared to any other 2.2. so running it as a rear tyre i would consider a 2.0

I suspect your race king might be deformed if you measure a 2.2 race king at 2.1bar then you get the the actual width of 2.0. Its a common thing that conti volumes are not as advertised, is a good tyre in dry non technical conditions.

Weird to have such different views on the same product. I Used the race king UST on the rear for about a year and It wasn’t even worn through. Its lighter than the maxis Crossmark LUST and IMO almost just as tough. Looking at your Picture I presume you turned the foldable version of the Mountain king into tubliss as I cant see how you could destroy a sidewall of a UST version weighing 50-60kg (assumption on your pic) I did exactly that... :whistling: So had two sidewall punctures from jumping off a pavement and once over a rock... Hence my question regarding this type whether the sidewall is a bit sturdier on the UST.

As I said I rode the tire hard in very rockey capetown area and I took it off because I got bored.. It’s a very good tire. Grips fairly well in most conditions. Not good over a wet route, but what bar a spike tire grips on wet routes? It has nice and low rolling resistance and In my opinion almost fit and forget. Dont put it on your trailbike, its a race tire, so its great for covering distance, and If youre ok at handeling your bike then you'll get far more from your race tire than you might ever really need. just some skill and finesse. Not wide as someone stated above? My race king 2.2 looked more like a 2 inch tire on my 25mm wide (standard width) rim. So If she’s riding a Hard tail It wont give her to much bump absorption. The 2.4 Mountain king is nice and big but not sure they even make the race king in 2.4.

correct its a race tyre, and is meant for speed not grip, same as the AKA, aspen, crosmark etc. Its a good tyre but not meant for trail conditions, and can get slippery in damp/wet conditions. All conti's have good sidewall protection UST and Protection versions. And generally a nicer softer compound than most of the Maxxis bar the new Ikons.

But if your skilled enough and can handle drifiting in corners and sliding of rocks etc, you can easily do some hectic trails on these. Only issue i had with them is trying to cycle up a steep hill littlered with pebbles, very low grip under these conditions and it tends to spin out regardless of how you distrobute your weight.

Excellent tyre for its intended purpose, I've had 26 inch UST Race Kings with absolutely no issue. I would say though that a weekend warrior would do better with an X king on the back due to the extra grip

Nicola I only now saw you actually asked a question in the middle of my post, haha.. sorry for not answering you.

Yes the UST is much tougher.. you wont tear one of those .Although with Kevin Evans and David George's luck you can tear a car tyre wall :huh:

I'm still trying to figure out how on copy a part of your post and then reply on it... :blush:

But thanks for the reply.

I have been running a 2.2 Race King (UST) back and a 2.4 Mount King (UST) upfront with no issues at all. the first pair lasted 2500k's and I recently put on a new set before Sani2C.

That said, the race king is not a great tyre in the mud. Last weekend at Jonkershoek it was a bit muddy from all the rain and the race king did not fair too well. The mountain king was perfect though.

I think for my next set Ill probably keep the Mountain king upfront but change to a cross king at the back. Either way I think the Conti UST tyres are bomb proof and whoever says they are too heavy has rocks in his head.

I'm still trying to figure out how on copy a part of your post and then reply on it... :blush:

But thanks for the reply.

Hit the reply button on the far right below my post, then it wil bring my post up in a window editable to you (like G-mail)

then you can delete some of my post and edit it accordingly.

I have been running a 2.2 Race King (UST) back and a 2.4 Mount King (UST) upfront with no issues at all. the first pair lasted 2500k's and I recently put on a new set before Sani2C.

That said, the race king is not a great tyre in the mud. Last weekend at Jonkershoek it was a bit muddy from all the rain and the race king did not fair too well. The mountain king was perfect though.

I think for my next set Ill probably keep the Mountain king upfront but change to a cross king at the back. Either way I think the Conti UST tyres are bomb proof and whoever says they are too heavy has rocks in his head.

what kinda rocks ?. ;)