patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aggressor in DD. ‘Nuff said.

Rear. 

Pair it with a DHF if you ride fast trails, a DHRII if you ride slower and steeper trails or a High Roller II if you ride softer trails that require good soil penetration for grip. 

primarily looking for A fast rolling tyre with big side knobs if i need to lean the bike hard 

Braking ain't an issue cause i'm A feather weight ( 62kg ) 

So far 

Spez slaughter 1st pick

Maxxis ardent/agressor 2nd pick

Rock razor 3rd pick ( I like the casing but price is ridiculous)  

Agressor DD in the rear. DHF EXO in the front. This combination for most of what we ride up here.

@BaGearA, I can lend you a DHRII DD 27.5 to test.

Edited by Reden

Spez grid compound vs. supergravity ? or DD casing ? thoughts ?

BTW I hav to order a tyre from spez cause no store has stock  :thumbdown:

So I am doing Berg and Bush this weekend and decided to change my tyres so that I have a bit less rolling resistance. Put on a 29x2.4 Ardent in front - okay but not amazing, and a Ikon 29x2.35 on the back. I have to say I am so pleasantly surprised by the Ikon. It rolls super fast, has a great amount of volume to it. I currently have a cSixx FOAMO insert in there - so the combination of fast rolling, high volume, and ride damping might just mean that the Ikon will stay on for a while.

As for the Ardent, gonna swop that out for a High Roller 2 straight after Berg and Bush.

So I am doing Berg and Bush this weekend and decided to change my tyres so that I have a bit less rolling resistance. Put on a 29x2.4 Ardent in front - okay but not amazing, and a Ikon 29x2.35 on the back. I have to say I am so pleasantly surprised by the Ikon. It rolls super fast, has a great amount of volume to it. I currently have a cSixx FOAMO insert in there - so the combination of fast rolling, high volume, and ride damping might just mean that the Ikon will stay on for a while.

As for the Ardent, gonna swop that out for a High Roller 2 straight after Berg and Bush.

Does the FOAMO add damping?  Was under the impression only the Flat TireDefender type inserts have that effect given how they are applied.  In fact I'm pretty sure I watched a VItal insert shootout where the guy specifically said one of the downsides of the Huck Norris was the absence of that damping.

"

2nd Place: Huck Norris ($69.99 USD) - The People’s Champ

Why The People's Champ? Simple. Ease of use, protects the rim well, it's the lightest of the inserts, and it's also the cheapest. So why isn't it sitting in the number one spot? There are several reasons, but the biggest was it doesn't add that damped feeling we got with both the Flat Tire Defender and CushCore systems."

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Tire-Insert-Systems,1841

I was running an Onza Citius 2.4 upfront with the Aggressor 2.3 rear and was very pleased with the combination.

Last month I did the Piket-Bo-Berg 37km and decided to change things up a bit. Put the Aggressor up front and a Slaughter SS on the rear.

WOW, I was blown away. Fast rolling, grippy and a confidence boost of note, altough the confidence boost could also be the wider handle bar I put on at the same time. Definately going to keep this as my summer combo.

Funny thing is, the XC guys i did the race with (both on Epics) were ammused by me calling the Slaughter a semi slick. Has more and bigger knobs than their tyres. All about perspective.

I would say swop the Ardent for an Ardent race version. I have it up front and it moves and grips pretty damn well. Previously had an ardent on, still have it but found it a bit overkill for most of our conditions, except when they riding gets wet and muddy.

Only bad thing I can say about the Ardent race is that the biggest you get it is 2.35.

Does the FOAMO add damping?  Was under the impression only the Flat TireDefender type inserts have that effect given how they are applied.  In fact I'm pretty sure I watched a VItal insert shootout where the guy specifically said one of the downsides of the Huck Norris was the absence of that damping.

Nope, the FOAMO doesn't add any damping, but it does allow me to run lower pressures without worrying about smashing my rims to pieces - so it's the lower pressure which adds the damping. (Could've chosen my words better).

I would say swop the Ardent for an Ardent race version. I have it up front and it moves and grips pretty damn well. Previously had an ardent on, still have it but found it a bit overkill for most of our conditions, except when they riding gets wet and muddy.

Only bad thing I can say about the Ardent race is that the biggest you get it is 2.35.

I had an Ardent Race 2.35 on up front before the normal Ardent 2.4, and on my first few ride with it the front wheel washed out a couple times - just found that it did not have the grip I was looking for (even at 24psi) so I replaced it with the Ardent. It's now sitting in the garage, so it will go on the back when the Ikon's life is done...

EDIT: If I had an XC bike my choice would most definitely be an Ardent Race up front - but on a Stumpy it just doesn't work for me.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Nope, the FOAMO doesn't add any damping, but it does allow me to run lower pressures without worrying about smashing my rims to pieces - so it's the lower pressure which adds the damping. (Could've chosen my words better).

I had an Ardent Race 2.35 on up front before the normal Ardent 2.4, and on my first few ride with it the front wheel washed out a couple times - just found that it did not have the grip I was looking for (even at 24psi) so I replaced it with the Ardent. It's now sitting in the garage, so it will go on the back when the Ikon's life is done...

EDIT: If I had an XC bike my choice would most definitely be an Ardent Race up front - but on a Stumpy it just doesn't work for me.

I experienced the same with ardents and got rid of them very quickly.

I am at the moment using a set of WTB Trailboss on my hardtail. These tyres surprise me everytime. The amount of grip is overwhelming for the tyre pattern.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Any #EnduroBros here that have experience with the new 2.6" Addix version of the Magic Mary?

As always, I'm contemplating new rubber and would like to go with something around the 2.5"-2.6". 

Any #EnduroBros here that have experience with the new 2.6" Addix version of the Magic Mary?

As always, I'm contemplating new rubber and would like to go with something around the 2.5"-2.6". 

Probably purely intended for pointing down. I assume they quite heavy.

But man do they look dope. Saw some pics of em on a Demo. 

Probably purely intended for pointing down. I assume they quite heavy.

But man do they look dope. Saw some pics of em on a Demo. 

Yeah. They're probably also not going to play too nice on a 25mm ID rim in a non-Boost fork. 

Guess I'll go with a 2.4" DHR II front and back. 

Yeah. They're probably also not going to play too nice on a 25mm ID rim in a non-Boost fork. 

Guess I'll go with a 2.4" DHR II front and back. 

Yoh! 1.35kg compared to 835 grams for the 2.35 trailstar.

Looks like the addix are colour coded though. Not sure what difference that makes to weight. So the purple 2.6 are probably the super gravity ones.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Schwalbe-Addix-Tire-Color.jpg

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Anyone run a WTB Convict / Breakout 2.5 combo?

I'm thinking of running that on my hardtail, that big 2.5 on the rear will add some comfort. Just not sure how they'll work on 24mm internal rims paired with a non boost revelation