AM tyres... what you running?

patches

My current tyre combo: Specialized The Captain 2.0" (front) and Maxxis Ikon TR/3C/EXO 2.2" (rear).

Milage on my Ikon is at 4,413.1km and still going strong. I used to run an Ikon up front too, but the grip on The Captain is so much better and I feel more confident going around the corners.

Tyre size might sound small, but they look quite beefy on Wide Lighting wheels.

When the Specialized tyre is done, I will give Vittoria Barza a go.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Yo Yo ... anyone have any experience with these tyres?

CONTINENTAL MOUNTAIN KING PURE GRIP TUBELESS 27.5 X 2.40

Yo Yo Yo ... anyone have any experience with these tyres?

CONTINENTAL MOUNTAIN KING PURE GRIP TUBELESS 27.5 X 2.40

Have the 26er version. Use it on the rear. They ok upfront, but dekaiser and debaron is much better suited for the front, then again, depends how much grip you want

Have the 26er version. Use it on the rear. They ok upfront, but dekaiser and debaron is much better suited for the front, then again, depends how much grip you want

Thanks .... you have given me my answer ...... was just looking at these as they are being sold at R350 via EVO ... but a DHF for the front or a DHR is the way to go so far.

Thanks .... you have given me my answer ...... was just looking at these as they are being sold at R350 via EVO ... but a DHF for the front or a DHR is the way to go so far.

I am using the mnt king over maxxis :ph34r:

in fact I have de kaiser steel bead front and mnt king rear, nice fast and grippy setup, and then I have dekaiser tubeless front, and trail king rear, very grippy. 

Currently using Maxxis Ardent 29er 2.4 rear and Maxxis Minion DHR2 29er 2.4 WT on the front both on 30mm wide rims - love the combo so far. Had the Ardent up front for a while and hated it, but as a rear tyre I love it.

Just mounted a 27.5 Rekon 2.8 and Ikon 2.8 to the plus hardtail - gonne be interesting to see how that performs compared the the 3.0 inch Spez tyres that were on the bike because they lool alot smaller! Just a pity Rush Sports doesn't bring in the Minion DHF and DHR in 27.5x2.8 versions - saw then on Andrew Neethling's bike and am very keen to try them out! The Rekon and Ikon are a bit too XC for my taste, but the Spez 3.0 are just too wide...

The DHR2 has pretty square edges - so getting used to the sudden transition when it got leaned over was a bit disconcerting in the beginning but I seem to have got used to it. Aggressor on the rear looks like a good option - DD casing for sure if it's rocky but does have a weight penalty.

DHF 29x2.5WT and DHR II 29x2.3

HIGH ROLLER II 27.5x2.3 and ARDENT 27.5x2.2

Both on 30mm ID rims

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I have moved on from riding the Spez Enduro, I will continue to use their tyres because they are awesome!

27,5" Butcher Grid now available in 2.6" and 2,8" widths!

They do generally run a little narrow, so I will be trying a 2.8" up front and 2.6" out back. 

post-31228-0-86226200-1520496825_thumb.jpg

post-31228-0-11281500-1520498954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nofearnofun

Even though I have moved on from riding the Spez Enduro, I will continue to use their tyres because they are awesome!

27,5" Butcher Grid now available in 2.6" and 2,8" widths!

They do generally run a little narrow, so I will be trying a 2.8" up front and 2.6" out back. 

I am sadly still not totally happy with these tyres in 2.6 form. I have settled on a tyre pressure range where they are happiest, but I just don't get the kind of confidence inspiring front end grip out of my Enduro in comparison to the HT with a Magic Mary up front. It may be something else, like the slacker HTA and longer reach also playing a role, but even getting my face onto the stem to weight the front wheel doesn't seem to do the trick. 

That said, they are tough, puncture resistant tyres and the slide is always predictable and of short duration.

I am sadly still not totally happy with these tyres in 2.6 form. I have settled on a tyre pressure range where they are happiest, but I just don't get the kind of confidence inspiring front end grip out of my Enduro in comparison to the HT with a Magic Mary up front. It may be something else, like the slacker HTA and longer reach also playing a role, but even getting my face onto the stem to weight the front wheel doesn't seem to do the trick. 

That said, they are tough, puncture resistant tyres and the slide is always predictable and of short duration.

Out of interest, what is the inner rim width on your enduro with the 2.6", standard 29mm?

I had the complete opposite as you, while the MM felt good I just found that I preferred the grip on the butcher. I also found the Butcher to have WAY less rolling resistance than the MM. 

I'm currently running eThirteen TRS 2.35 front and Bontrager S3 2.35 back.

Also like the Spaz tires, but haven't tried them yet.