AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Looking for a new rear tyre.

My Spez Slaughter's are starting to show signs of wear and along with the powdery dry trail right now, braking grip isn't too hot.

Got about 3000km on the rear, so not too bad I suppose.

Looking at Maxxis Highroller or DHF2, as an alternative. How do they stack up ito mileage?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for a new rear tyre.

My Spez Slaughter's are starting to show signs of wear and along with the powdery dry trail right now, braking grip isn't too hot.

Got about 3000km on the rear, so not too bad I suppose.

Looking at Maxxis Highroller or DHF2, as an alternative. How do they stack up ito mileage?

Just checking in, there is no DHF II, just Highroller II and DHR II. The current DHF is too good to change ;) Typically in all of the "trail bike" sizes we're bringing in the 3C MaxxTerra compound which is the best compromise between performance / traction and endurance.

Just checking in, there is no DHF II, just Highroller II and DHR II. The current DHF is too good to change ;) Typically in all of the "trail bike" sizes we're bringing in the 3C MaxxTerra compound which is the best compromise between performance / traction and endurance.

Errr, ja meant DHR2 for the rear.

the SG carcasses have 4-ply sidewalls including a snakeskin layer compared to the non-SG carcasses. That makes SG sidewalls quite a bit stiffer, stiff enough that I once didn't realize i had essentially atmospheric pressure in my front tyre when i left home, until a turned a corner, and the tyre went all squishy..

Yep, I was actually going to pick up on this, but didn't want to troll... I don't think the Maxxis DD is quite a "burly" (read heavy duty) as the Super Gravity. The DD is essentially a butyl insert that runs from the bead to where the tread starts, its sandwiched in-between two 120TPI pieces of canvas. This gives sidewall support and abrasion resistance while keeping weight reasonably low and still allowing for good compliance on the tread portion of the tyre.

Looking for some advice 

What would be a good rear tire for A AM hardtail? ( just take into account that there is no shock and as such the tire will also be pumped slightly harder.)

Got some good mileage out of my Ibex but i want to switch to maxxis. Jusst need something that rolls relatively well ( I do the occasional marathon and 50km trail rides ) but can still handle rocky stuff pretty good. Braking is not really a concern cause I'm quite light.

Looking at 2.4 maybe 2.5 

Looking for some advice 

What would be a good rear tire for A AM hardtail? ( just take into account that there is no shock and as such the tire will also be pumped slightly harder.)

Got some good mileage out of my Ibex but i want to switch to maxxis. Jusst need something that rolls relatively well ( I do the occasional marathon and 50km trail rides ) but can still handle rocky stuff pretty good. Braking is not really a concern cause I'm quite light.

Looking at 2.4 maybe 2.5 

Front or back?

Front - rolling resistance shouldn't come into it.

Rear - primarily braking and low RR. 

Front on Maxxis - Minion. Aggressor as a heavy duty XC tyre. 

Rear - HR2 (nicely ramped centre knobs so it rolls well) or Aggressor. 

Yep, I was actually going to pick up on this, but didn't want to troll... I don't think the Maxxis DD is quite a "burly" (read heavy duty) as the Super Gravity. The DD is essentially a butyl insert that runs from the bead to where the tread starts, its sandwiched in-between two 120TPI pieces of canvas. This gives sidewall support and abrasion resistance while keeping weight reasonably low and still allowing for good compliance on the tread portion of the tyre.

You guys need to bring in a few more AM Maxxis treads in 26" please. At the moment your local dealers are losing out to overseas mail order shops which still carry a far bigger range. 

Looking for some advice

Got some good mileage out of my Ibex but i want to switch to maxxis. Jusst need something that rolls relatively well ( I do the occasional marathon and 50km trail rides ) but can still handle rocky stuff pretty good. Braking is not really a concern cause I'm quite light.

Looking at 2.4 maybe 2.5

I got maxxis Aggressors front and back on my hardtail. I dig em!

I'm really enjoying the aggressor on the rear. Can highly recommend it. Paired it to a minion up front and the combo works a treat. Probably better than my previous citius/canis combo.

I'm really enjoying the aggressor on the rear. Can highly recommend it. Paired it to a minion up front and the combo works a treat. Probably better than my previous citius/canis combo.

That Maxxis combo is almost certainly my next option. Currently enjoying the Citius up front though

I stuck my w@nked out minion dhr2 back on my bike after the RR fail. I can feel the worn side knobs but still quite enough grip when needed  - just have to be more careful with late braking and off camber sections. I am going for a record to see how many more KM I can put on it before catastrophic failure. 

I stuck my w@nked out minion dhr2 back on my bike after the RR fail. I can feel the worn side knobs but still quite enough grip when needed - just have to be more careful with late braking and off camber sections. I am going for a record to see how many more KM I can put on it before catastrophic failure.

If be careful, Iast time I tried riding a tyre past reasonable grip limits I came pip when the tire totally lost it unexpectedly at speed in a corner, after that experience I'll never run pap tyres(well not even vaguely hard or pushed anywhere near the limits), not worth the medical bills. Worn tyres are only good for straight lines.

I'm running the Minion SS Double-Down casing in 2.35 and I'm loving it.  I was using the Specialized Slaughter grid before and the Minion SS is more grippy for sure.  With the Double Down casing you should be able to run reasonable pressures on your hardtail

Currently running Onza ibex on the rear and Schwalbe HD up front. I feel like rolling resistance isn't the greatest still some life left but looking to purchase my next set for when needed. Any suggestions? 

Oh and they need to be 26"...